Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times

Advertisements

Austin rents to income ratio is crazy. I got a 15k pay raise in 06 going from Austin to Houston and then another 12k going from Houston to LA two years ago. So even with cost of living LA comes out ahead (in my field at least).

IS your girlfriend an education certified dance instructor? I know of several openings for dance teachers in LA Unified, and I have friends who run a dance studio out in West LA. There are surprisingly good opportunities in that field in LA. Oddly surprising!

Anyways, I spent years in Austin and this is not Austin. Los Angeles outside of the west LA/hollywood parts is nowhere near as materialistic as people assume. I knew so many folks in Austin who had their personal image/brand, trying to be weird in their own ways to stand out. That may just have been in the circles I ran in, but LA isn't nearly as odd in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,589 times
Yes, Texas sucks.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM

327 posts, read 766,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I know both cities very well - and to sum it up: They are both extremely cool places to live if you're under 30.

I would say LA is like Austin, only bigger, with a better climate, and smog.
And far more gangs.. and crime.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:07 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
Austin is TINY compared to Houston or Dallas. It's even smaller compared to LA. Austin is a fun, cheap place to live--especially if you are the artsy type. If you want more of what you like, move to LA.

This is really a question of your personality. For as small as it is, Austin is a pretty well rounded city--great inexpensive restaurants, diverse nightlife, friendly people, great for artists & tech guys, affordable cost of living...I would imagine a city like Portland would be a better destination. You get to do exactly the same things in regards to outdoor activity except you are closer to the mountains and pacific ocean and won't have to deal with the vast size of Los Angeles to get to point A & B.

Austin is a completely different city than Los Angeles. If you want to move somewhere with a heavier shade of liberal blue but more or less the same size, move to Portland. Isn't New York the number one destination for dancers?
Tolerance relative to *other* liberal places in the U.S. IS relative when talking about Austin, even today I guess. In 1977 I was going out with a beautiful Nigerian woman who worked a a teacher at the Texas School For The Blind in Austin... I had waist-length hair tied in a braid most days. I had to punch out quite a few racist and/or Cro-Magnon corn-fed UT frat boys to keep my top-knot intact as they say... I worked at everything from carpentry to bouncer to working as an agent for a bail bondsman to a bartender during the 1970s in Austin... had many friends ranging from roughnecks in boots to UT grad students (also in boots, come to think of it, but cleaner boots) back then and because of ne'er-do-wells like my friends I wound up working and living elsewhere in TX on and off in those years, too- from oil rig decks to nightclub stages on guitar.

Even now Austin is easily the most tolerant and liberal city in TX, it’s got UT and one of the best music scenes in North America, the SXSW circus, the legacy of the old Armadillo World Headquarters- Austin City Limits, UT football “Hook’em Horns!”, UT itself (“when in doubt- build!” goes the old Austin joke), great food and (compared to the rest of Texas, most of which I’ve been through), a thriving arts scene and a wooly, goofy atmosphere… Austin used to be and hopefully still is a cultural DMZ where far fewer of the Redneck Texas Blowhards walked the Earth… there (were) far fewer Goat-Ropers and Rexall Rangers in Austin, too- although the redneck/hippie social cross-pollination goes back to the early 1970s… and 20 minutes out of town, driving or riding on Route 290’s access road towards Dripping Springs and on to Pedernales Falls SP or towards Buchanan Lake or Marble Falls and the rest of Texas Proper awaits.

I was born in Santa Cruz CA but spent most of my teenage years in Austin... mostly then at Crockett High school… 1972-81... played music, played out under the stars and played with a number of some of the most beautiful, funniest and soulful women in the world- Texas women! I learned to build houses in the Austin summer heat from Mexican workmen who spoke a little English as I did Spanish, but we shared a commitment to getting paid for work for which we were proud... and a twangy yet syrupy Texas Drawl is, at least over almost a decade to me, proven contagious… I STILL say 'y'all' and 'fix in' to'.

There’s a lot from 1970s Austin that may only be a memory… I don’t have the heart to wander the streets of Austin via Google Maps Street view so THOSE mysteries will have to wait until I take my family there one day for a week or so… Conan's Deep Dish Pizza, (no doubt long-gone) local bands like the Uranium Savages, Balcones Fault, The Lost Gonzo Band, great places like Liberty Lunch (epic Chicken-Fried Steak sandwiches), Nothing Strikes Back, Cliff Antones’ place Antones on 6th and Brazos (long gone), Club Foot, musicians like Joe Ely, Soug Sahm, the Continental Club (miraculously still there), Manny's Custom Boots, Zebra Records, Hills Cafe on South Congress, great radio stations back then like KOKE, KUT, KLBJ… I know that The 'Dillo, The Soap Creek Saloon and most of the other venues I haunted Back In The Day are long gone… I was there for the last Armadillo World Headquarters show on New Year’s Eve 1980 where Asleep at the Wheel and Commander Cody played until the wee hours. There now stands a Stouffer’s Inn high-rise where the ‘Dillo once stood, I believe.

Before some idiot tried (almost successfully) to murder the huge Treaty Oak at Barton Springs, it was a majestic shelter and great place under which to eat a sandwich and drink a (Lone Star or Pearl beer mixed with tomato juice and a little salt) ‘Red Beer’…Oat Willie’s (‘Onward Through the Fog’), two-dollar Mexican pushcart dinners on North Lamar, Vietnamese pushcart lunches on The Drag, motorcycles through the Hill Country with guitars and amps lashed to them, Willy Nelson's bodyguard Snake running his Mercedes up onto the Austin Golf Course when they were hammered, John Lennon's death and the line of candles running from the Treaty Oak all the way over the hill all night... 6th Street, spaced-out but maniacally unskilled UT student drivers… even back then people complained about the traffic especially between San Antonio and Austin, the ‘dog-bone’ shaped Megalopolis they said… 6th Street, crazy floating parties and water hilarity on Lake Travis,Hippie Hollow, hunting in the oaks in the hills north of town, rednecks and hippies at Willie Nelson shows, etc., etc… sorry about the Nostalgia-Fest… Austin WAS weird long ago… I hope that these days it has retained some of that marinade from back then.

Anyway, I know I experienced ‘…one of the most amazing cities in the country’ back then. If Austin now even has ONE PERCENT of the ‘wild hair’ it had back then it’s still a little more skewed that the rest of Texas, no doubt!

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 04-18-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
And far more gangs.. and crime.
and far better food, beaches, music, art, women, diversity, recreational activities....what's your point? I know you would rather stay in Austin but it makes no sense to belittle a city you have yet to live in.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
and far better food, beaches, music, art, women, diversity, recreational activities....what's your point? I know you would rather stay in Austin but it makes no sense to belittle a city you have yet to live in.
Disagreed apart from the beaches... which for the most part are nothing but cesspools. I'm not "belittling" Los Angeles. Read the stats. I am bitter about leaving Austin and Texas, though.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Disagreed apart from the beaches... which for the most part are nothing but cesspools. I'm not "belittling" Los Angeles. Read the stats. I am bitter about leaving Austin and Texas, though.

Yeah...You don't know what your talking about.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Yeah...You don't know what your talking about.
Actually, he's exactly right.

He needs to stay in Texas.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:06 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
I re-read your OP. Now I'm confused. You're bitter about leaving Austin??? So STAY THERE, for chrisakes!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Actually, he's exactly right.

He needs to stay in Texas.
Fair trade. How about I stay in Texas if you convince your fellow Californians to stay the hell out of Austin. Deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles