Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM

17 posts, read 30,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I liked taking the bus to go places on my own, but wouldn't advise taking a date on the bus unless the guy is also into the car free life. I was dating this guy and one time I talked him into going somewhere with me on the bus. That was the last time, too. He thought he would be open to the idea but it turned out he didn't enjoy being on the bus, didn't really enjoy having a conversation with me when all the other people on the bus could hear us, hated waiting at the stop and how long it took to get to the museum, hated walking from the stop to the museum, etc.
Whoa! Sounds like a horrible date. I was kiiinda kidding about taking a date on the bus. This is why I travel by bus by myself, because NO ONE else would agree to go with me. Not even my own family! lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Yeah, it was a drag. Until that little adventure, I never really thought about how much social interaction you have while driving or walking somewhere. Or that you get really close to people at those times because you aren't being overheard and can really open up. Although I am a fan of car free living, I have to admit some of the most important conversations I have had with people took place while driving somewhere.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:15 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Just wondering how a car helps your social life. I get if you live in Venice and want to go to the Getty, or Griffith Park, yeah you're gonna need a car. Or date a girl/guy in the Valley. But for any drinking based activities like nightlife or bars, you shouldn't be drinking and driving anyway.

If you don't mind living in a bubble, which I personally don't, you can go car free. There is also Uber and Lyft which are both getting cheaper.
I did my car-free year before Uber and Lyft. Taxis in this town are not cheap.

But speaking for myself, there are only a few regions in the city that you can actually get to by bus or transit from my neighborhood if you want to stay out late. From my neighborhood, the only real option were the busses that ran downtown, and they might only run once an hour late at night. So any late-night trip took a lot of planning. It killed spontaneity.

But these days, the light rail runs later on weekends, so it wouldn't be as bad.

For reference, these are the late night LA buses.

24-hour Owl Service

Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
I did car free living for a bit. I lived at Santa Monica and La Cienega and worked at Wilshire and La Cienega. It would take the same amount of time to walk to work than it would to take the bus to work. Riding a bike was faster than the bus. If you're traveling east or west, the bus is great. If you are traveling north or south, the bus is terrible. Take that into account.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:30 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
My elderly mother lives in L.A. off of Wilshire Blvd. and gets around by bus (as she stopped driving years ago) although I do know that is more time-consuming especially when she has two buses to some destinations.

As for grocery shopping, luckily she lives right next to a Ralphs supermarket. But in any case one can always use a shopping cart with wheels instead of carrying large amounts of groceries.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My elderly mother lives in L.A. off of Wilshire Blvd. and gets around by bus (as she stopped driving years ago) although I do know that is more time-consuming especially when she has two buses to some destinations.

As for grocery shopping, luckily she lives right next to a Ralphs supermarket. But in any case one can always use a shopping cart with wheels instead of carrying large amounts of groceries.
I know now the vicinity in which your mom lives. STALKER TIME.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:39 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
The real question is, why in the world would you want to?

Old 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM

17 posts, read 20,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The real question is, why in the world would you want to?
Because car + gas + parking + insurance = a boatload of money.

And then there's the traffic. I live car-free on the border of East Hollywood and Koreatown. I rented a car for a few days while my mom and brother were visiting from out of town. My morale was crushed by the experience of sitting trapped at the wheel in traffic while we crawled towards destinations where we'd circle a parking garage endlessly looking for a spot. After a few trips, we walked and took transit instead, leaving the driving to someone else. I was much happier, and so was my family.

When I returned the car I felt like a two-ton weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. The ride home on the 720 was elating, even when we hit traffic in Beverly Hills--I just pulled out my phone and started reading.

Then again, I'm pretty weird. Maybe it's just me.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I know now the vicinity in which your mom lives. STALKER TIME.
That is kind of crazy remark as I was only trying to be helpful to the OP.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
That is kind of crazy remark as I was only trying to be helpful to the OP.
It was a joke. Relax. (or was it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles