Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soimpossiblep View Post
I've been reading this forum for a while now, and wowww is it intense.

Anyways! Hi, I'm a 21-year-old female from Michigan that is verrry excited to head out to LA (where most of my family lives) after I graduate in May. I accepted a job with an office in Orange, CA.

The thing is, I don't want to be bored. I mean, I don't want to from from fun college town to total suburbia. I know it's impossible to be bored in LA, but in Orange...? Most people who are young at the office say they live in Huntington Beach, but I'm not sure if that's really my scene... I've heard lots of different things, but mostly great things about Los Feliz/Silver Lake/WeHo area. I also am aware of the killer commutes in LA. But is the traffic on the South 5 awful in the early morning? I'm sure the return is bad no matter when, but I am a pretty patient person with traffic...

Basically, I wish my office was a little more towards the city, but you can't always get what you want! Do you think HB would be a decent place to live? Or is it worth the drive from the WeHo area? I plan on getting a roommate, so I'm not sure of my budget yet. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful...Thanks so much

If you lived in Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Weho, you would have a 2+ hour commute each way. Why would you want to do that? If you're going to work in Orange County, you need to live there.

A friend of mine lived in Irvine and worked in downtown LA. He took the train. By the time he drove to the train station, got to downtown, and then walked to the office, it was about 2 hours. It was a little faster in the car, but 1.5-2 hours was pretty normal. He ended up moving to Valley Village to be closer to work.

If you don't mind spending 4 hours a day commuting, go for it. But if you do that you won't have much time for a nightlife. Imagine your 8-5 day starting a 5 am and ending at 7 pm. That's what you would have to do if you commuted to/from those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 02:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPV2NC View Post
The answer to your question depends on what kind of social scene you're into. WeHo/SilverLake, etc is for more liberal/entertainment industry/artsy lifestyles -- very welcoming to gays, lesbians and persons of a variety of cultures. If you are pretty, hetero and conservative, you should consider the South Bay beach cities like Hermosa. A ton of young people live there and weekend at the Hermosa Beach pier and the Strand. Might be too "white bread" but probably a great start for someone fresh out of college. I'd also look at Huntington Beach. WeHo is too far from Orange.
OC types say good things about Costa Mesa as being one of the nicer, more tolerant and less conservative parts of OC. If I had to live in OC, I'd think about living there.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:20 PM

27 posts, read 148,797 times
soimpossiblep, Los Feliz is a great area to live in I recommend it. But if you work in the OC you will have a 40min-1hr commute. Los Feliz is a hip area for the young and old. You are also close to the Hollywood area and Hollywood Hills. Los Feliz or Hollywood Hills GO FOR IT. THESE PLACES ARE GREAT!!! BY THE WAY VERY SAFE.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:47 PM

14 posts, read 76,303 times
Well, as a 30 year old single woman, I sympathize. I live in Long Beach, been to Orange every now and then to go shopping at The Block, which is a huge movie/shopping/restaurant/bar complex. Other than that, I don't know what there is to do in Orange. On the upside, you are not too far from CSU Fullerton, so there should be plenty of people your age in the surrounding areas, and probably plenty of hang outs near campus. You could live in Fountain Valley, which is right next to Huntington Beach. F.V. is not known for its nightlife, but it's got plenty of safe neighborhoods and it might be a possible compromise between your work and your leisure. I read some of the other posts, and while its true that I don't spend alot of time in O.C., I don't see how it could take 1.5 hours to take Beach Blvd up to Orange. That's what it takes to get from LB to Newport Beach on PCH during the height of rush hour. I don't know.....I think they're exaggerating. Maybe they were talking about Los Feliz. Now THAT I wouldn't do if you PAID me. That route is not kind to anyone.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:40 PM

34 posts, read 174,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soimpossiblep View Post
I am from east lansing, I go to michigan state.

Thanks so much for your input guys, I am really excited but also very nervous, I appreciate it!

The public transit option sounds interesting...since gas is so expensive...I would have to see if it is possible with my office. I've been looking into living in HB, and rent seems just as much as a place in Hollywood, basically. I'd obviously have to check out both places again to see the vibe, because it's probably completely different in both places.

There are young people/nightlife in Orange? Do you know anything more about where that would be?

Thanks a lot!
if your co workers live in hb then id go there.they must make good money cause its expensive there.theres lots to do there in hb lots of bars,etc..young crowd scene.stay near the ocean and theres lot to do.
major weather change youll experience.lol

Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,377 times
Default Michigan Move to Huntington Beach

I am a young professional accepting a job position in Huntington Beach. I am moving from Grand Rapids, MI this coming Spring. I have friends that live in Hermosa Beach and would love to live there and communte to Huntington Beach, but they said the communte (driving) is killer. How is the Huntington Beach social scene (outdoor activities, gyms, bars, etc.) for a 29yr old? How about rent for a two bedroom condo/apt near beach?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles