Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarysHxt View Post
Can you get the L.A. experience in the San Gabriel Valley(San Dimas, Covina, El Monte, San Gabriel, Pasadena)?
NO. Pasadena, So Pasadena perhaps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarysHxt View Post
Can you get the L.A. experience in the San Gabriel Valley(San Dimas, Covina, El Monte, San Gabriel, Pasadena)?
At the West End, yes. Get as far west as you can in Pasadena, e.g. near Eagle Rock.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I have lived in L.A, but don't really know the San Gabriel valley besides Pasadena .

Apparently San Gabriel has become very popular with Chinese tourists...they are using it as a base to explore Disneyland and the rest of L.A

I always here there is amazing Asian food there, but I haven't made the trek out yet.

I did have a Taiwanese friend growing up and had gone to Monterrey Park with his family to some shops and to eat maybe once or twice .

One thing I wonder about is if non Asians are welcome in the area or at the restaurants. Anyone have experience with this? I look good food, but being stared at or looked at like "why are you here?" could ruin the meal .

Does anyone think this is an issue or not?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:22 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
No, it won't be an issue. There could be some language barrier issues at certain restaurants (which is why there are pictures on the menus) and you might be the only non-Asian in the restaurant, but that's about it.

I'm a whiteboy and have been into the deepest bowels of Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, etc. Never had a problem. Now I will say that usually the first time I would go to a restaurant would be with with a fellow Asian friend (because they know the good ones), but I have returned alone or with other non-Asians and it's never been a problem.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Would you mind mentioning some of the good ones , I found many through yelp that have amazing reviews but just curious .

Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,379 times
I like Earthen - Hacienda, No 1 Noodle House - Rowland, Din Tai Fung - Arcadia, Bull Demon King - Diamond Bar, and there are tons more -- I don't get out to central SGV much.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Would you mind mentioning some of the good ones , I found many through yelp that have amazing reviews but just curious .
What type of food? Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Bubble Tea, Dim Sum, Sea Food, etc.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
My best friend lives in San Gabriel and I would be there too if not for the smog. It's not congested, everything is one or two stories, no giant complexes.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
My best friend lives in San Gabriel and I would be there too if not for the smog. It's not congested, everything is one or two stories, no giant complexes.
They are really building up the stretch of Valley Blvd where the Hilton Hotel is. A couple corridors with SG, Alhambra, and Monterey Park will be pretty dense in a decade or so.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
No, it won't be an issue. There could be some language barrier issues at certain restaurants (which is why there are pictures on the menus) and you might be the only non-Asian in the restaurant, but that's about it.

I'm a whiteboy and have been into the deepest bowels of Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, etc. Never had a problem. Now I will say that usually the first time I would go to a restaurant would be with with a fellow Asian friend (because they know the good ones), but I have returned alone or with other non-Asians and it's never been a problem.
Harrier wasn't aware that Diamond Bar had deep bowels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles