Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 AM

9 posts, read 12,474 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to live within the budget of up to $800 that's close or easy to access Hollywood Blvd cause I am going to be attending The Second City. I am moving to L.A. from UK in order to advance my acting and writing career. I am aware of the reality of things so don't worry I'm not going into this with my eyes closed but I was wondering which areas you'd recommend as decent areas with little or no crime. I'm not going to hold my breathe on the no crime cause let's face it this is L.A. LOL! Anyway, could you please help me? I'm desperate. Kinda nervous too cause its a big deal to move from UK to L.A. I'm excited but nervous too. LOL!

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,180 times
Obviously with that budget your limited but I would check out East Hollywood, Koreatown or someplace near transit. Also, crime is really not a problem in Los Angeles that much...this isn't the 90's.

Padmapper.com

Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,382 times
East Hollywood and surrounding nabes, western Los Feliz, KTown.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellTankerbelle View Post
I am going to be attending The Second City. I am moving to L.A. from UK
The original Second City in Chicago is considerably better. Too bad.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:00 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,082,890 times
With that budget, East Hollywood I guess? I used to live off Hollywood Blvd barely east of The 101 and the area there and going east was largely fine. $800 is a pretty tight budget but that doesn't mean you can't find somewhere respectable. If you're gonna be at The Second City everyday you could expand your search to anywhere along where the Red Line goes and just get on wherever you live and off at Hollywood/Highland or Vine. Some areas between Hollywood and downtown (like Koreatown, which has been mentioned) could work but also going into North Hollywood could also. (in The Valley, but not bad and cheaper).

Last edited by Drake744; 04-21-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

Thank you guys. I understand its not the 90s I have done some research on the subject I just needed advice from people who actually know the area rather than generic statistics and assumptions cause some of the answers I found scared the crap out of me but then I remembered people tend to exaggerate. I have crime mapped some places like streets in Westlake and all I can say is wow the crime in that area is totally whacked LOL! I was like holy crap in 6 days theres like 25 - 30 crimes. Nuts but I expect a lot of crime in some areas cause its been mentions that's a pretty rough area. Anyways thank you so much guys. I truly appreciate it. I also know that The Second City in Chicago is better but I'm attending the Hollywood one so that I can expand my career at the same time. Thanks guys. Much Love. Hugs

Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you guys. I understand its not the 90s I have done some research on the subject I just needed advice from people who actually know the area rather than generic statistics and assumptions cause some of the answers I found scared the crap out of me but then I remembered people tend to exaggerate. I have crime mapped some places like streets in Westlake and all I can say is wow the crime in that area is totally whacked LOL! I was like holy crap in 6 days theres like 25 - 30 crimes. Nuts but I expect a lot of crime in some areas cause its been mentions that's a pretty rough area. Anyways thank you so much guys. I truly appreciate it. I also know that The Second City in Chicago is better but I'm attending the Hollywood one so that I can expand my career at the same time. Thanks guys. Much Love. Hugs
One thing to take into account is there are so many people, that those crimes are still isolated a lot of times and you'll never know they're happening even if you're nearby. The crime rate is lower in LA than a lot of other major American cities. Just as an example, I live in Nashville, TN right now and most people probably think of it as a sleepy mid-sized town. In reality the violent crime rate is almost 250% times higher than LA's.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:18 PM

See, my original plan was to go to NYC and live there but I changed it in accordance to how effective it would be career wise. I decided to move to Los Angeles for two reasons number 1, there's more room for training in L.A. for actors and writers such as myself and number 2 because there's more employment rates in Los Angeles for actors than New York [again stats] but I understand that you can live where you want and travel to place you need to be, believe me I've thought about it and I came to this conclusion. Since my budget is so low in making the move across the Atlantic I would not have sufficient fund to keep traveling back and forth from NYC and Los Angeles so I've made the decision to move to Los Angeles.

You have made me feel a little less anxious about the move to Los Angeles. That's the only thing that freaked me out a little is when I looked at the crime stats. I expected it to be fairly up there but you know. Maybe I should quit looking at crime mapping but then again if I don't look I won't know what the area is like.

What do you recommend? Do you recommend I keep checking the stats or just go with the flow.

I know you all probably think "if you're scared don't move here" its not that I'm scared of the move its just a little scary cause I don't know the place as well as you guys. Hence why I came here to talk to you guys cause I know you'll all know since you're residents in the city.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
See, my original plan was to go to NYC and live there but I changed it in accordance to how effective it would be career wise. I decided to move to Los Angeles for two reasons number 1, there's more room for training in L.A. for actors and writers such as myself and number 2 because there's more employment rates in Los Angeles for actors than New York [again stats] but I understand that you can live where you want and travel to place you need to be, believe me I've thought about it and I came to this conclusion. Since my budget is so low in making the move across the Atlantic I would not have sufficient fund to keep traveling back and forth from NYC and Los Angeles so I've made the decision to move to Los Angeles.

You have made me feel a little less anxious about the move to Los Angeles. That's the only thing that freaked me out a little is when I looked at the crime stats. I expected it to be fairly up there but you know. Maybe I should quit looking at crime mapping but then again if I don't look I won't know what the area is like.

What do you recommend? Do you recommend I keep checking the stats or just go with the flow.

I know you all probably think "if you're scared don't move here" its not that I'm scared of the move its just a little scary cause I don't know the place as well as you guys. Hence why I came here to talk to you guys cause I know you'll all know since you're residents in the city.
Go with the flow. You can obviously be cautious, but when I first moved to LA (have now lived there twice) I did all the crime mapping stuff because I was largely unfamiliar with the city and was kinda anxious also. It did me no real good and made me wary of areas that I should never truly be wary of. When I got there I felt like an idiot. Being the 2nd largest city in the US, there will be plenty of crime in pockets but other than a car being broken into and a CD player stolen (in Hollywood), I never had an issue. I'd just start looking for areas that are realistic for you and start to ask about them. That will be more useful than anything. Unless it's an area that's already very dangerous or very safe, there's often more to the stats than the numbers.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
You will need to do a shared situation with that budget unless you want to live in a fleabag hotel. Look west of Hollywood for safety. Likely need to be gay tolerant and possibly 420 tolerant. Have you checked Craigslist?

los angeles rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles