U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 AM

413 posts, read 1,723,529 times

Advertisements

Sorry to chime in here, but does anyone know of any cheap, seedy motels in the desert? Yeah, that sounds shady I know. We always liked those run down motels you see in the movies, like the one in "Identity." I think it would be cool to sleep in complete filthy for a night Call me crazy...or ill if we DO stay in one of these places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 13,912 times
Haven't planned that out yet but will soon. Will share once I know.

I actually don't want to wait until I get tired, but I hear you. The idea of playing it loose like that is sort of wild-wild west cool.

Think I'll feel better/safer planning where to stop. But given that I've never done this sort of thing before, I imagine whatever I plan will probably change anyway. I'll deal.

BTW, When are you making your trip?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:06 AM

1,510 posts, read 4,715,005 times
Quote:
Think I'll feel better/safer planning where to stop. But given that I've never done this sort of thing before, I imagine whatever I plan will probably change anyway. I'll deal
Yeah thats true. But it'd be good to have a general idea of where to stop. My longest stretch would be from Miami to New Orleans. But thats where I definitely plan on stopping because, hey, its a free night stay w/ food lol.

I hope to go sometime in March. My lease is not up until April, so probably late march, very early April. But I'd really like to go sooner if possible, so we'll see.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
May or may not be helpful but perhaps others would benefit: Craiglist has a rideshare listing. I guess go to the Craigslist for the origin and destination cities and click on rideshare. For example, for Los Angeles

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/rid/

Old 12-13-2007, 09:01 PM

422 posts, read 1,651,397 times
I've made that drive in five days, driving only during daylight hours, only stopping for meals/bathroom breaks and to sleep. Each segment is about 500 miles/8 hours of driving. There are plenty of chain motels all along the way. Just pull off when you get tired. If you're a member of AAA, get their travel guides for the appropriate states to help you pick out places to stay before you get on the road each day. But it's not crucial. And I would recommend you stay on the western side of any larger cities you'll be overnighting in, i.e. Houston and maybe Tucson, so you won't have to deal with rush hour traffic in the morning when you start your next leg.

Day 1: Tampa (via I-75 and I-10) to Mobile
Day 2: Mobile to Houston
Day 3: Houston to Fort Stockton
Day 4: Fort Stockton to Tucson
Day 5: Tucson to LA

Happy trails!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Many thanks Cubancoffee!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier--just got so busy.

Thank you for the breakdown on when you stopped. That's exactly the what I I needed---and better, I was planning the exact same thing, driving 8 hours over 5 days. Perfect perfect perfect.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,952,183 times
I like this thread...everyone was helpful to the OP!

Drive safe!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:33 PM

326 posts, read 1,237,544 times
I did Tampa to Lake Havasu(AZ/CA border) twice in 1 month. I-10 west all the way but take the Anderson Loop around San Antonio. After San Antonio you are pretty much seeing nothing until El Paso. After that you've got Las Cruces, Tucson, Phoenix then pretty much nothing again. The worst part is probably getting out of Florida as it seems to take forever (trees, trees and more trees). Both trips took about 35 hours, just make sure you don't hit Houston or Phoenix in rush hour (4pm - 7pm).

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Well I made it! Left Sunday 12/30 arrived in LA 12/4. Took six days and yes, staying on the western side of major cities made a huge difference! Had AAA do a TripTik and I am completely sold on the service! Was so completely impressed, their directions never steered me wrong and the book was just the right size to hold in one hand when directions became very tricky.

Did the trip in 6 days and found that far more manageable than attempting the trip in 5 days:
Day 1: Tampa to Crestview, FL
Day 2: Crestview to Beaumont, TX
Day 3: Beaumont to Junction, TX
Day 4: Junction to El Paso
Day 5: El Paso to Phoenix
Day 6: Phoenix to LA

Thanks everyone for all your advice!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:59 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,873,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustMorn View Post
Well I made it! Left Sunday 12/30 arrived in LA 12/4. Took six days and yes, staying on the western side of major cities made a huge difference! Had AAA do a TripTik and I am completely sold on the service! Was so completely impressed, their directions never steered me wrong and the book was just the right size to hold in one hand when directions became very tricky.

Did the trip in 6 days and found that far more manageable than attempting the trip in 5 days:
Day 1: Tampa to Crestview, FL
Day 2: Crestview to Beaumont, TX
Day 3: Beaumont to Junction, TX
Day 4: Junction to El Paso
Day 5: El Paso to Phoenix
Day 6: Phoenix to LA

Thanks everyone for all your advice!
that's great! glad it all worked out, and welcome to LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or