U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 AM

7 posts, read 13,912 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m relocating from Tampa to LA in three weeks, right after Xmas, and need some help re: on the driving route I should take.

This would be my first cross country road trip. Have advice on how you made the trip, where you stopped along the way, essentials to take in the car? I’m a single woman, 40. Will not be stopping to sightsee—just need to get to LA safely.

Also, since I also don’t have a job lined up, was thinking of signing up with temp agencies (doing administrative work) until something permanent opens up. Can anyone suggest reputable agencies I should contact, esp. one with ties to the universities?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 09:59 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,243,311 times
Take I-10 all the way west. There are plenty of clean rest stops around the route. Plenty of food establishments, gas/mini marts for snacks, etc. and hotels also. Stay at the more reputable places. They have excellent continental breakfasts.

I'm a bit anal, but I always take paper towels, windex, toilet paper and a couple gallons of water.

Have a safe trip.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustMorn View Post
I’m relocating from Tampa to LA in three weeks, right after Xmas.....Also, since I also don’t have a job lined up....
Do you know where you are going to live? Friends or family I hope.
Have you been to LA before?
Do you have a financial cushion?

This sounds risky.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:13 PM

Thanks Paula--appreciate the tips.

Hi Charles--yes, I know its a huge risk, but it's one I'm looking forward to. Not really familiar with LA outside of a tourist. Have a bit of a financial cushion and a good lead on a job, just not a firm offer. Will initially stay in a hostel (a friend has offered has offered her couch if things get dicey) while I check the options available on craigslist and westsiderentals. There's no way I'd sign up for an apt share that I hadn't seen for myself.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:37 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,873,802 times
do you have AAA? go there for a "triptik" to plan your route. they'll give you an easy-to-use map of just your route that shows which freeway exits have gas, food and lodging, and tour books for all the destinations along the way. even if you don't plan to sightsee, they are very useful for choosing hotels and calling ahead to make reservations, which i always did at lunch time, and strongly recommend. if you are a triple-A member, become one; the triptik service is worth the price of membership.

i stayed at best western properties in the more obscure locales, and always found the accomodations acceptable. when staying in cities, i opted for hotels with a few more amenities, and took the opportunity to dine someplace other than the waffle house. where you stop will depend upon how much driving you want to do each day, but i think it would be a shame to come this way without spending a night in new orleans, especially if you've never been there. (acme oyster house on iberville in the french quarter is, by itself, enough to make the stop worthwhile.) also, as a woman alone on the road, you should resist the temptation to get here quickly by driving at all hours of the night. i always treated the driving as my job for the day, and i checked myself into a room around dinner time each night. the single time i was forced to drive late at night, it was through a long stretch of countryside in texas, and every terrror-on-a-dark-road movie i'd ever seen played a return engagement in my head. i wouldn't do that again.

btw, audio books are great company.

happy trails!

Last edited by katenik; 12-09-2007 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Thanks Katenik. I was thinking along the same lines--driving only during the day. Figure there's no point freaking myself out by driving at night on some highway I've never been on. (My imagination is over-active enough without giving myself new material.)

I tried doing doing the AAA triptik online but it didn't make much sense. Think I'll just have to just go in person and see if that wouldn't be better.

Thanks for the advice about New Orleans--will try and stop by at least for the night. Have always always always wanted to visit but unfortunately won't be able to do much of anything this time around.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:29 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,873,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustMorn View Post
Thanks Katenik. I was thinking along the same lines--driving only during the day. Figure there's no point freaking myself out by driving at night on some highway I've never been on. (My imagination is over-active enough without giving myself new material.)

I tried doing doing the AAA triptik online but it didn't make much sense. Think I'll just have to just go in person and see if that wouldn't be better.

Thanks for the advice about New Orleans--will try and stop by at least for the night. Have always always always wanted to visit but unfortunately won't be able to do much of anything this time around.
yes, go to your AAA office, and have them make the triptik for you. the maps will be in a spiral-bound booklet if you do it that way, and they'll give you the tour books to go along with it. call ahead to your local office to see if they can do it for you on the spot or if they need lead time, just to be safe. i once went to an office where they wanted me to wait two weeks to pick it up, which is completely ridiculous, as i typically wait about twenty minutes for them to print and bind it.

by all means, spend one night in new orleans if you can. you won't regret it.

good luck.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:03 PM

1,510 posts, read 4,715,005 times
Wow.. haha, I'm planning on making almost the same trip. Except I'd be leaving from Miami and going to Sac. I may go up to Tampa and spend a day or 2 since I have family there. Also going to stop in New Orleans, because I have family there as well. Then stop again somewhere around San Antonio, and then Phoenix where I have a friend, and then on to L.A. for a day or 2 then Sacramento. I dont know how many days I'd stop in between. Probably a couple where I have family. I dont know anything or anyone in Texas, so I'd probably just spend the night. I'm 24 and making this trip alone. I figure it'd take me a week or so to get there.

Remember you'll have time on your side, so as you leave FL you'll gain an hour, so thats good. Do you have a GPS? Those are always useful. I bought one a couple of years ago and am planning on using it for the move. Theyre not that expensive anymore, you can get one at WalMart for under $200. I'd suggest investing in one before you go. You can search for hotels, food and gas stops on it as well. And it'll help you get around once you get to L.A. too.

Good luck

Old 12-10-2007, 06:54 PM

DragonofIllFaith--

Cool! Love the coincidence. Sounds like you're set up for a good trip, I'm envious. Wish I knew people along the way. I'm thinking of taking 6 to 7 days to get there.

Don't have a GPS but was thinking of picking one up. Rented one (along with a car) a couple of weeks ago when I was in LA for an interview and loved it. I love maps, but hands down the GPS saved my sanity when traveling in a city I'm just not that familiar with.

Katenik--2 weeks? Wow. I'll definitely call ahead. I bet they get really busy this time of the year too. Good advice.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 AM

1,510 posts, read 4,715,005 times
Yeah, a GPS can definitely save you, even if you have to detour, it'll still take you where you need to go. You should definitely invest in one. It'll always come in handy especially when moving to a new place. Although I find L.A. pretty easy to navigate as far as freeways and etc. But its good to know that you wont end up lost in a bad neighborhood. Garmin and TomTom are both for around 180 at WalMart.

I wish I were moving in 3 weeks! Lucky you!

Out of curiousity, where do you plan on stopping? Do you have it planned or will you just stop when youre tired? I thought about doing that, just stopping when I was tired. But I figure I'd save some money by stopping with the family who's along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or