Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,809 times

Advertisements

Eagle Rock is an interesting area in that there are some economically challenged folks living not far off from economically well off folks but most large cities are very much like this (New York, Chicago, San Francisco). I chose to live in Eagle Rock because of its lovely suburban qualities and close approximation from downtown(=work). Can't beat a 15 minute commute in Los Angeles. It's close to everything, freeway friendly, and lots of business moving in. When I first moved to the area (I am a native of LA but grew up in another part of the city), I spent a lot of time in Pasadena - gym, restaurants, spa - but the last couple years that's really changed. I can easily find pilates, yoga, spa services, and great places to eat and hang out. The northeast area of Los Angeles is very old with many historic properties well over 100 years old. It was one of the 1st suburbs built specifically for the Los Angeles area with a train service that used to run from downtown to Highland Park. If you are looking for a place that is within the City of LA proper but also a suburb with tree lined streets, then Eagle Rock is a great option.

Eagle Rock is very diverse. As in any large city, there is an element of welfare mentality among some of the citizens - greatly unfortunate for everyone. Crime in northeast division is down as has been the trend over the past four to five years. You can check potential addresses on the LAPD website for current crime stats if it is a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkoffeeblues View Post
Eagle Rock is an interesting area in that there are some economically challenged folks living not far off from economically well off folks but most large cities are very much like this (New York, Chicago, San Francisco). I chose to live in Eagle Rock because of its lovely suburban qualities and close approximation from downtown(=work). Can't beat a 15 minute commute in Los Angeles. It's close to everything, freeway friendly, and lots of business moving in. When I first moved to the area (I am a native of LA but grew up in another part of the city), I spent a lot of time in Pasadena - gym, restaurants, spa - but the last couple years that's really changed. I can easily find pilates, yoga, spa services, and great places to eat and hang out. The northeast area of Los Angeles is very old with many historic properties well over 100 years old. It was one of the 1st suburbs built specifically for the Los Angeles area with a train service that used to run from downtown to Highland Park. If you are looking for a place that is within the City of LA proper but also a suburb with tree lined streets, then Eagle Rock is a great option.

Eagle Rock is very diverse. As in any large city, there is an element of welfare mentality among some of the citizens - greatly unfortunate for everyone. Crime in northeast division is down as has been the trend over the past four to five years. You can check potential addresses on the LAPD website for current crime stats if it is a concern.
Love your description of the little town (or it seems like its own town) I was raised in. A few months ago while visiting L.A we drove through Highland Park and Eagele Rock. I was amazed at what hasn't chaged, not so much what has...Yes, some to old I grew up with is gone, many of the business signs are in more than one language and the homes we thought were kinda newish and now those old ones you are talking about. I am guessing both of the homes we owned when I was very young are close to that century mark. I think both were built in the 20s, we drove by them.

Nita

Old 07-22-2010, 03:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,532 times
"A gangster got shot 5 times by the Library in Eagle Rock just 3 months ago."

OK, not that many years ago, there was a shootout, on Colorado Blvd. in ER, between FBI and DEA agents that didn't get the word on each others' drug sting.

L.A.is a big and active city. Lots of things are going on and happen. ER is OK.

As to walking? Yes and no. If five large blocks is not too far then it is within walking distance.

Eagle Rock is sandwiched in between Pasadena and Glendale and is a lower cost representation of both. It is the upper most NE section of L.A. and has, for many years appeared to be the forgotten part of the city. Not ignired, but just left alone.

I lived in HP for many years and would move to ER in a Cal. minute. Sold real estate there in the '70s-'80s. Was back visiting twice this year and visiting again, late this month and early Sept. Was suprised as to how good both ER and HP looked and the positive changes that have taken place.

One of the oldest burger stands in L.A. is located on ER Blvd. The Bucket, 1935. Great mushroom burger---also known as the cholesterol burger. Eat at your own risk, but great.

Give ER a solid look. It is fine.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menziesii View Post
"A gangster got shot 5 times by the Library in Eagle Rock just 3 months ago."

OK, not that many years ago, there was a shootout, on Colorado Blvd. in ER, between FBI and DEA agents that didn't get the word on each others' drug sting.

L.A.is a big and active city. Lots of things are going on and happen. ER is OK.

As to walking? Yes and no. If five large blocks is not too far then it is within walking distance.

Eagle Rock is sandwiched in between Pasadena and Glendale and is a lower cost representation of both. It is the upper most NE section of L.A. and has, for many years appeared to be the forgotten part of the city. Not ignired, but just left alone.

I lived in HP for many years and would move to ER in a Cal. minute. Sold real estate there in the '70s-'80s. Was back visiting twice this year and visiting again, late this month and early Sept. Was suprised as to how good both ER and HP looked and the positive changes that have taken place.

One of the oldest burger stands in L.A. is located on ER Blvd. The Bucket, 1935. Great mushroom burger---also known as the cholesterol burger. Eat at your own risk, but great.

Give ER a solid look. It is fine.
Interesting what you said about HP as well. When we drove through, we were amazed, again, at how little it had changed and yes, it did look better than I had expected. It still isn't Eagle Rock, but it isn't east L.A either.

Nita

Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,532 times
nita

Let me explain what I meant.

I grew up in HP in the '50s, '60s and '70s. I left in 1980 and returned only twice, for very short visits over the next 30 years. That was until this year. Have made two extended trips so far this year and driving down again, next week. All of these trips have been spent in the communities and not the tourist attractions. Also going for a week in early Sept. for my daughter's wedding.

When I was growing up, HP was a community of mostly resident homeowners. On our block, at the corner of York and Aldama, there were only maybe five families that didn't own their own homes. Several of the families were in residence since before the war and some back to the early '20s and '30s. My family, 1927.

Folks started to move out in the '60s, some before, with more and more homes being rentals. In the late '60s and into the '70s more and more apartment building were built. This was a period of decline.

But, some improvments took place as well. The J.C. Penny in ER---or was it Monkey Ward?---along with the mall. More chain grocery stores in both HP and ER. But this also brought about the closing of smaller neighborhood businesses that had long been the roots of the community. The new freeways also made shopping in Pasadena and Glendale easier. Even out to Alhambra. We even got our own "Bob's Big Boy" on York, across from the NE Police station.

The old neighborhoods were dead and gone. Or so it seemed.

I left in 1980. What I hear from my daughter and ex-wife was all bad. My ex also grew up in HP, so she knew it as the old HP as well. It definitely was not any more.

Now, flash forward to today. again, many of the homes are owner occupied. The apt. binge if the late '60s and '70s has run its course, with regulations requiring off-street parking has made many lots unsuitable for apartments. Anyway, much of what I saw and am seeing is more like what I grew up with and not what I saw when I left.

I don't know when you left the area, but if it was before the mid '60s, then it might seem much the same today. In many ways, it is.

Best

Menziesii

P.s. Use to eat at Henrey's all the time. On the way home from Hasting's drive in Pasadena, or one of the drive ins in SG valley, it was Henry's. On the way home from one of the drive ins in Burbank or the SF valley, it was Vandies, at Fletcher and SF Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles