U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 AM

61 posts, read 240,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
5th largest economy.

And what you're failing to realize is that the recent UAW strikes were in regard to Toyota and Honda plants in the midwest (ie. what you dismissed as "...imports")
california used to have the 3rd largest economy back when clinton was president and after him our economy has been slipping.

what you fail to realize is that there really isn't an uncontested actual placement. most sources currently place california around 6 to 9th largest economy- but definitely in the top 10.

in 2006 california was just below italy and above spain and canada as far as economy is concerned.

http://www.lao.ca.gov/2006/cal_facts...facts_econ.htm

that's a link to the 2006 econo stats for CA. i'm sure you could probably even find stats showing that CA in 2006 was the 5th largest economy.

so please, don't correct me as if CA is emphatically the 5th largest economy when there isn't 100% consensus. even wikipedia has CA listed as being 6th - 10th largest.

also, in regards to striking auto workers or a long lasting WGA strike i was speaking in general terms. not specifically for toyota or honda. anyone that goes drives past the port of LA can see freights and freights of cars being imported to the US.

obviously some percentage of foreign cars are manufactured here.. but one cannot negate the fact that just as many or possibly more are imported here yearly.

if those two companies suffered large enough losses in revenue from a US strike.. they could effortlessly just export more cars here. whereas studios don't have that luxury for the most part- no one wants to be labeled a scab in this industry.

Last edited by LosFeliz_Diva; 12-15-2007 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 11:54 AM

392 posts, read 1,731,192 times
Why does it matter where the California economy is in the world? The entertainment and tourism industry is 12% of the Southern California economy according to the CA Labor Board. That is not the entire state, I doubt the strike has much if any effect on tourism and not everyone in the entertainment industry is on strike or laid off. By the time you remove all that it is a pretty small amount of California's overall income.
And yes, of course people can just buy imports when American workers strike but then who needs the entertainment industry? Post to other states and see how much the writer's strike effects people. They miss a show? I'm guessing the average American is finding ways to cope.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:50 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosFeliz_Diva View Post

so please, don't correct me as if CA is emphatically the 5th largest economy when there isn't 100% consensus. even wikipedia has CA listed as being 6th - 10th largest.
Thanks for clarifying your inability to read. I'll type slower this time:

What you FAILED TO REALIZE was in regard to the automakers I mentioned, not CA's "empirical" placement on the world economy scale.

Thanks for playing! Sorry but there's no consolation prize! Better luck next time!

Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,002 times
Lets just hope they work it out before the new episodes of Family Guy and American Dad run out, if they havent already. Last two episodes were hilarious.

Those writers deserve the extra $ for that kind of creativity.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Lets just hope they work it out before the new episodes of Family Guy and American Dad run out, if they havent already. Last two episodes were hilarious.

Those writers deserve the extra $ for that kind of creativity.
The thing is, Family Guy gets made in segments. Technically, if they did things right, they could go for a while w/o writers.

American Dad stinks anyway. Hope they save all the gags for Family Guy.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 PM

142 posts, read 708,426 times
Jay and Conan are going back to air on January 2nd with new episodes, even without writers. I'm glad their non-writing staff are going back to work. I still hope for a resolution on the strike soon for the sake of so many other people's jobs.

Leno and O'Brien to Cross Picket Lines

Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien have announced that they will reluctantly return to the airwaves in January, but without their comedy writers.

Last edited by SandyCo; 12-30-2007 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Got rid of HTML codes; copyrighted material deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles