U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:38 PM

142 posts, read 708,426 times

Advertisements

I had been complaining that Jay Leno shows have been reruns ever since the strike began (because I'm a big Leno fan), but then today I read that NBC fired all Tonight Show staffers due to the strike. This is very shocking and sad to me. Has the strike affected you or anyone you know, as an employee of the industry?

The Tonight Show With Jay Leno Television show - The Tonight Show With Jay Leno TV Show - Yahoo! TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 14,703,972 times
OMG, has it ever. My mom is a writer for some fashion and movie magazines. With not much like that going on, she hasn't been able to write much. So, her business isn't doing well. But, we thought, "Oh, well my dad still has a job, so we'll be okay until the strike is over." Wrong! My dad got fired for no reason at all. They said he wanted too much money. I bet the just hired some Mexican to do his job for less money, even though they would do it wrong. So, he's been searching for jobs and he got hired at one place. He didn't like it so he went to another one. Two days later, he got fired from that one, we are guessing for the same reason. This is like the worst time for this to be happening-the Holiday season. I feel so bad for my parents because they keep buying me Chanukah (my mom's side) and Christmas (dad's) gifts, even though they are going through such a hard time.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:15 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,384,355 times
I don't know anyone who has lost their job but I do understand that alot of people have. From my understanding people who are NOT wealthy, who can't go on and on with no paycheck are being effected.

My only problem is having to watch re-runs, which when you look at how people are struggling is a small problem indeed.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 AM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
A friend of mine works at Panavision; they rent out film cameras. As you might imagine, business has slowed to a trickle. As a result, the company is enforcing mandatory time off for two weeks at the end of December. If the employee has vacation accrued, great! If not, then it's time off without pay. Times are tough all over at companies who rely on the film industry - caterers, sound studios, etc.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 AM

104 posts, read 449,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
OMG, has it ever. My mom is a writer for some fashion and movie magazines. With not much like that going on, she hasn't been able to write much. So, her business isn't doing well. But, we thought, "Oh, well my dad still has a job, so we'll be okay until the strike is over." Wrong! My dad got fired for no reason at all. They said he wanted too much money. I bet the just hired some Mexican to do his job for less money, even though they would do it wrong. So, he's been searching for jobs and he got hired at one place. He didn't like it so he went to another one. Two days later, he got fired from that one, we are guessing for the same reason. This is like the worst time for this to be happening-the Holiday season. I feel so bad for my parents because they keep buying me Chanukah (my mom's side) and Christmas (dad's) gifts, even though they are going through such a hard time.
That's very unfortunate and it sucks especially when you have bills to pay. If you know your parents are having such a hard time why don't you tell them the gifts aren't necessary and that you'd rather they spend that money on bills, clothing, and food? Just a thought...

Old 12-10-2007, 04:02 PM

142 posts, read 708,426 times
Thanks Jessie, Lindsey, Sandy, and Chocolate. This situation is indeed very hard. Many people have the misconception that it only affects writers who are wealthy anyway, but I think that's just a fraction of those being affected. There's a lot of writers who aren't wealthy and there are a lot of companies who depend on writers, such as all people other than writers who work on television and film. If you look at credits after a show or a movie, "writers" are only one or two people... then there's everybody else.

It is very scary, and I sure hope this resolves soon. I understand the writers have their point and valid reasons, but it shouldn't have to affect so many people too, who are not writers.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
I'm in film, and I am slated to be working on stuff til Oct. of next year thus far, and I just got a call this AM for Terminator 4 work... So, count me as blessed.

I know other people who are starving though.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM

7,840 posts, read 14,703,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateTae View Post
That's very unfortunate and it sucks especially when you have bills to pay. If you know your parents are having such a hard time why don't you tell them the gifts aren't necessary and that you'd rather they spend that money on bills, clothing, and food? Just a thought...
I have, and they say, oh it's okay. Don't worry about us. You're our child and you deserve presents for the holiday season.

And, not only is it people in the entertainment industry, but places nearby such as coffee shops that people go to on breaks, caterers that no longer have anything to cater for, and things like that.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM

128 posts, read 431,873 times
The strike is taking its toll on the creative side of the film industry

Last edited by Candid Canuck; 12-11-2007 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-12-2007, 05:01 AM

413 posts, read 1,723,529 times
So will the industry start hiring non-union writers? You've heard the term "Scab" right? Just curious if it works that way in Hollywood like it does everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles