U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 AM

392 posts, read 1,732,544 times

Advertisements

Torrance used to be cheaper than El Segundo. When I moved here I looked into Redondo, Hermosa, El Segundo, Manhattan, RPV and San Pedro (with private schools). It has been awhile (prices have gone up a lot) but we ended up with Torrance schools and housing being the best cost wise. I can't tell you for sure if things are still the same though.
In the areas I'm most familiar with 90503, 90505 and 90501 (that zip code is only partial TUSD) I think you would hard pressed to find a condo that is 3BR room for only 3K. You might be able to get an older 2 BR in that range. Maybe you could find something in that range in North Torrance?
Things are cheaper up in Hawthorne but then you might want to factor in private schools.
Where are you moving from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 01:47 AM

5 posts, read 16,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Torrance used to be cheaper than El Segundo. When I moved here I looked into Redondo, Hermosa, El Segundo, Manhattan, RPV and San Pedro (with private schools). It has been awhile (prices have gone up a lot) but we ended up with Torrance schools and housing being the best cost wise. I can't tell you for sure if things are still the same though.
In the areas I'm most familiar with 90503, 90505 and 90501 (that zip code is only partial TUSD) I think you would hard pressed to find a condo that is 3BR room for only 3K. You might be able to get an older 2 BR in that range. Maybe you could find something in that range in North Torrance?
Things are cheaper up in Hawthorne but then you might want to factor in private schools.
Where are you moving from?
Thanks for that info! how much does the Private schools cost there?
Read that there is a big refinery in el segundo? does that cause any pollution problems- obnoxious smell/ SMOG?
Thanks

Old 12-13-2007, 09:47 AM

1,754 posts, read 6,228,930 times
Hi New2LA. I've worked in El Segundo for 22-years and have lived here for 16-years. El Segundo is often referred to as "Mayberry by the Sea." Yes, it is bounded by the Chevron Refinery to the south, the Hyperion Water Treatment Plant to the west and LAX to the north. Unlike the Mobile refinery in Torrance, the Chevron refinery has a very good record and I don't recall smells from it being a local issue. It is also a very strong financial supporter of the city and the school district.

El Segundo is a unique city/town. There are many lifelong residents but the demographic has begun to change recently as the property values are more "affordable" than those of Manhattan Beach or Hermosa. With that said, the median home price in El Segundo is still around $800K. ES has a nighttime population of about 17K and a daytime population of over 100K. The city is, basically, divided in half by Sepulveda Blvd/Pacific Coast Hwy with the commercial area east of the Blvd and the residential to the west.

El Segundo schools are right up in the top 10% of California schools. With the exception on Palos Verdes Peninsula HS and Palos Verdes HS (both ranked in the top 100 nationally) ES High compares very favorably with Redondo, Mira Costa and all of the Torrance High Schools. There is also Vistamar, a new private school, with a tuition of approx. $20K per year. My children attend private schools (not Vistamar), but that is not a reflection on the ES School District, just personal choice for a parochial school education. On the other hand, I'm active in the ES AYSO region and have had very pleasurable experiences working with the kids in ES.

ES has a superior Police Department and, unless I'm mistaken, was ranked #1 in California with respect to community satisfaction of their police department.

You can google "El Segundo Demographics" to get more details about the city. And wikipedia has a good, brief, description here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Segundo,_California.

I hope that helps you a bit. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 PM

7,938 posts, read 14,761,155 times
I think the ESPD is a little too strict. You get pulled over for going 26mph in a 25mph zone b/c they have a radar at the bottom of a hill which increases your speed. Also, they rig their speed thingies on the side of the road to make it seem like you're going faster. If you go 20, it says you go 25-27

Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,749,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I think the ESPD is a little too strict. You get pulled over for going 26mph in a 25mph zone b/c they have a radar at the bottom of a hill which increases your speed. Also, they rig their speed thingies on the side of the road to make it seem like you're going faster. If you go 20, it says you go 25-27
sounds like the Culver City PD

Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 PM

7,938 posts, read 14,761,155 times
Oh yeah. And my aunt got pulled over there one time for not wearing a seatbelt. She was talking on her phone b/c she had been on hold for almost 20 minutes talking to someone and didn't want to hang up. The police called back up and there were three cop cars there saying they were going to arrest her for being belligerent.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,821,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh yeah. And my aunt got pulled over there one time for not wearing a seatbelt. She was talking on her phone b/c she had been on hold for almost 20 minutes talking to someone and didn't want to hang up. The police called back up and there were three cop cars there saying they were going to arrest her for being belligerent.
How could they tell she wasn't wearing a seatbelt?

Was she in fact belligerent?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:23 PM

1,754 posts, read 6,228,930 times
El Segundo PD is a notoriously strict enforcement department.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe that one can, technically, be stopped for not wearing a seat belt. I think there has to be another infraction and no seat belt is an add on. But why would someone, in their right mind, refuse to hang up their phone when stopped and told to do so by the police? I don't get it. "Hold on a minute officer, I need to finish my call. . ."

Many years ago, LAPD stopped my wife in front of my home, in Westchester, for rolling through a stop sign. When I stepped outside the door to see what was going on the cop warned me to remain where I was. I couldn't even walk into my own front yard. Now HE was an a$$ and was promptly reported.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM

392 posts, read 1,732,544 times
The law changed a few years back and now you can be stopped here for not wearing a seatbelt. That is unless your car is so old that it was built without them.....
I think the fine for a first time offense is only $20.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:02 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,821,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
The law changed a few years back and now you can be stopped here for not wearing a seatbelt. That is unless your car is so old that it was built without them.....
I think the fine for a first time offense is only $20.
Sounds like a law that is hard to enforce. So if they're writing laws that are hard to enforce, I wished they'd write a law requiring two licensed occupants be in a vehicle in order to use a carpool lane. Some lady and her kid aren't carpooling - they are not taking a car off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles