U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 16,382 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to el segundo or nearby areas, depending on good school locations (anywhere within 10-15 miles radius)
Which are the good schools (K-12) ? (public/private)
Thanks
cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 AM

1,287 posts, read 4,705,334 times
In addition to El Segundo, other close by communities with good public schools include Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, portions of Torrance, and Palos Verdes.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...s-live-la.html

Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 AM

Which part of Torrance?
Thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 AM

7,857 posts, read 14,718,155 times
I currently attend El Segundo High School and love it. I don't live there, but I spend almost all of my time there since that's where all of my friends live. It is definitely one of the best places to raise a family in the country. The schools are great, there's quite a variety of things to do that are close, and it is extremely family orientated. During the summer, these nice old guys volunteer every day to drive free shuttle buses back and forth from the beach for us young teenage whippersnappers. A new shopping center just opened in El Segundo that has tons of great shopping. Across the street, in Manhattan Beach, is a great mall. Oh yeah. El Segundo is extremely safe. You can see kids walking everywhere all the time, even home before curfew at 10:00 pm. I even see little elementary aged children walking to school all by themselves.

Manhattan Beach is a great place for families also, but it's more expensive and I find it to be less of a community. Torrance has some of the best schools in CA. West Torrance High School, a nationally ranked high school for its sports, is the best one. They are the rival of all the other schools in the South Bay because they are so good.

Palos Verdes has some very good schools as well.

San Marino, in the San Gabriel Valley, as well as South Pasadena, are the nicest areas of LA away from the beach. Same with Westlake Village and Calabasas.

If you don't need to live in LA, I would suggest going down south into Orange County and living in Mission Viejo. They have awesome schools and it was recently ranked as the safest city in America. If you are interested in Mission Viejo, contact missionhome, a member on this site, or post on their board.

But, if you need to be in LA, maybe for a job, I think El Segundo is the best place.

Check out this website to see the nicest areas of LA.
LA Life - Find Your Place in Los Angeles

Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 AM

7,857 posts, read 14,718,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2LA View Post
Which part of Torrance?
Thanks
West. If you go too far east, you can be in areas almost as bad as Compton.

What's your price range and where will you be working?

Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 PM

186 posts, read 600,535 times
Default great schools

Check out greatschools.net. You can't go wrong in Manhattan Beach. Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and Torrance are generally good. Palos Verdes is awesome. El Segundo is good, too. Depends on your price range and the age of your children.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 PM

392 posts, read 1,731,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2LA View Post
Which part of Torrance?
Thanks
You want to stay in the Torrance Unified District. For the most part that is west of Western. Check if you are close to Western though as some areas it changes to LA Unified.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 AM

Thank you all for the replies!
The info about EL Segundo sounds great!
Looks like a reasonably safe area fo a family!
I would be working in El Segundo, and dont want to drive too far on the busy roads there. So El segundo seems like the Ist choice and then Torrance(West)
I am planning for a condo/house of 3BR for around 3K.
Is that possible to find one in El segundo or Torrance is cheaper?
Children are in elemenrary school now, but looking for the area where the schools for the next stages too are good, so that dont have to keep moving from one area to other!
Thanks
Cheers

Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 AM

47 posts, read 156,150 times
Can you afford private school for your kids?

Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
Can you afford private school for your kids?
How much would that cost in those areas?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles