Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

Do any of you out there know anything at all, good or bad about this place at all?

I'll more than likely be interning there this summer only (NOT as a doctor).

I've never heard of the place until recently. I've learned it's a mental hospital, which I'm not crazy about at all...excuse the pun. For example, this news story I found makes me very nervous. I'm sure there are more stories out there:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...al-in-norwalk/

Last edited by Forever Blue; 05-03-2014 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
It's one of the last remaining State Hospitals in SoCal, since Camarillo State was turned into a State university, although some of the remaining hospitals are only for forensic "patients," AKA a high security form of prison hospital for sex offenders and violent types branded as mentally unfit. Patton State (near you in San Bernardino) is such a hospital.

Metropolitan is not one of the forensic hospitals.It has all the usual pluses and minuses of such hospitals. I doubt if they have many voluntary patients, although some regular 'frequent flyers' especially those living on the streets or those whose families encourage them to go in may opt for inpatient. The majority are placed there under conservatorship or on a 5150. These units are locked. Security is not bad, and despite the link you provided (note: that patient likely will be moved elsewhere), there have been relatively few incidents there over the last few decades, considering the hospital is almost always at capacity and the patients tend to be quite psychotic.

It will be quite a lesson for you in the world of the mentally ill if you are a novice.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'm in for QUITE an experience!

Any other comments?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'm in for QUITE an experience! Any other comments?
Ask staff members for their knowledge of each patient. Patients can spot a newbie. Many have lots of street smarts and can manipulate you, but try to be kind. Many have been rejected or abused in their lives. Speak plainly to patients, many are heavily medicated. Pay close attention to the rules of each unit. Know who runs things in a crisis and what your job is.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 AM

OP here again!

nightlysparrow, thanks again for the additional great advice. Do you ever hear of the place being referred to as "the old, haunted insane asylum"? I'm not trying to be mean, but that's what I've heard it basically is.

I found a YouTube video of a paranormal team who's supposedly caught a ghost on video & shows one walking down a creepy-looking hall & into the wall. I've found other unsettling & pretty scary news artcles on the facility as well. You can check out that thread in the Unexplained Mysteries & Paranormal section of this board & tell me what you think!

Yes, I'll be honest, I'm somewhat scared to work there, but I'll try to do what they always say, "Never let them see you sweat!" So I sure hope I don't show my fear outwardly.

I really don't know how close I'll be to the patients...don't know if it's within arms reach, spitting distance, etc. The patients seem to be some extremely disturbed individuals!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Do you ever hear of the place being referred to as "the old, haunted insane asylum"?!
Don't worry...or will you be on the night shift? Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Just about every public building around the country that is 100 years old has these stories; hotels, schools, prisons, courthouses, you name it. But especially insane asylums. I think the buildings from 1915 are closed or only used for storage. The old entrance on Bloomfield Ave. is fenced off now, and is far from where the main buildings are. And there are many, many buildings there. It's like 20 square blocks of campus. The hospital was modernized in the 1950's and in 2003.

If it makes you feel better, I once worked (in the newer part) of a sprawling place built in 1870. Like Metropolitan and all old insane asylums of the past, it was set up like a separate town. I walked through all the old buildings. Never saw a ghost.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 PM

Thanks again nightlysparrow. Throughout my summer, I'll keep this thread alive OR probably over in the other thread I started in the Unexplained Mysteries & Paranormal section of this board, so please check back from time to time! I start there on June 9th.

Any other comments?

Old 05-16-2015, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,477 times
Quote:
Do any of you out there know anything at all, good or bad about this place at all?

I'll more than likely be interning there this summer only (NOT as a doctor).

I've never heard of the place until recently. I've learned it's a mental hospital, which I'm not crazy about at all...excuse the pun. For example, this news story I found makes me very nervous. I'm sure there are more stories out there:

[url=http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/10/convicted-madonna-stalker-nabbed-near-mental-hospital-in-norwalk/]Convicted Madonna Stalker Nabbed Near Mental Hospital In Norwalk « CBS Los Angeles[/url]
I have a few questions for you if you wouldn't mind answering them.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,150 times
I'm interested in finding names of doctors at Norwalk State Hospital in Norwalk, California/Metropolitan State Hospital who might have been my mother's doctors in the late fifties. It is information I'd be using in a family memoir so it's not actually necessary since some of the project will be fictional. Don't know if historical details such as this are available. Would love to see an official letterhead/ stationary from that period.

Last edited by saraclaire; 03-02-2019 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 09:32 PM

Did you try inquiring at the museum?

Department of State Hospitals (DSH) - Metropolitan LA: Home

Since your mother was likely involuntarily committed, you could possibly check court records.

You could try contacting the writer of this interesting website. Also, it mentions a film from the 70's, probably available through a library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles