Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 11,359 times

Advertisements

im gonna be moving to the LA area after new years and i need help big time. the city is so big and i need someone to help me get used to the city. you know like getting around, using the metro, helping me learn the areas you know the basic stuff. just that i dont want to have to pay some big fee to have some loser tour guide take me around to useless places i dont really care about. i want a tour but not like sightseeing more like getting to know the city. i have a few friends there already but they go to school so they really dont have the time. i need someone to help me find a place to rent. someone to help me go get my drivers license, you know stuff like this. what can i do im killing myself with stress here can someone put me in the right direction or help me out with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,377 times
The things you're trying to do can only be done over time. Relax. If you are undoubtedly moving here, just get here first and then take care of everything once you get here, one thing at a time.

I moved here three years ago and feel like I just moved here. This place is enormous and there is more to do here than you can imagine.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseylaymon View Post
im gonna be moving to the LA area after new years and i need help big time. the city is so big and i need someone to help me get used to the city. you know like getting around, using the metro, helping me learn the areas you know the basic stuff. just that i dont want to have to pay some big fee to have some loser tour guide take me around to useless places i dont really care about. i want a tour but not like sightseeing more like getting to know the city. i have a few friends there already but they go to school so they really dont have the time. i need someone to help me find a place to rent. someone to help me go get my drivers license, you know stuff like this. what can i do im killing myself with stress here can someone put me in the right direction or help me out with this.
Metro? What Metro? Do you mean that 3 miles of track from Hollywood to Union Station? This is L.A. you´re talking about. I hope you have a car. It´s absolutely essential in Southern California and I hope you like traffic. Do you want to see the real L.A.? Make your first stop 6th St. and Gladys and tell me what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
The things you're trying to do can only be done over time. Relax. If you are undoubtedly moving here, just get here first and then take care of everything once you get here, one thing at a time.

I moved here three years ago and feel like I just moved here. This place is enormous and there is more to do here than you can imagine.
L.A. is spread out but it´s no NYC. Hell, after 1am L.A. is dead! L.A. is the pits. Overcrowded, dirty, the hands down worst traffic in America, and the people are as deep as rain puddles. I lived on the west side for 5 years and just got back to Manhattan. I´m glad to be home.

Last edited by Jersey Boy; 12-11-2007 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Boy View Post
L.A. is spread out but it´s no NYC. Hell, after 1am L.A. is dead! L.A. is the pits. Overcrowded, dirty, the hands down worst traffic in America, and the people are as deep as rain puddles. I lived on the west side for 5 years and just got back to Manhattan. I´m glad to be home.

People say the same about NYC, so to each their own, right? If it was for everyone, everyone would live there.

For example, I ride motorcycles. You can't do that half the year in NY, so why would I move there? I can ride year-round in LA, and I'm within a few hours of good race tracks for track days. NYC doesn't have that.

But yeah, I agree that LA does shutdown WAY too early for such a big city. I would imagine it would be totally different if there was better public transportation and/or cabs were affordable. In NYC you don't need a car, so you can get sloshed a 4 am and hop in a cab. In LA you gotta drive.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:31 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,877 times
Quote:
People say the same about NYC, so to each their own, right? If it was for everyone, everyone would live there.
Thank you, well said. I'm so sick of everyone bashing other cities (and especially this one) that they think are inferior to theirs.

Los Angeles is a great big place, and there's plenty to do and see as motoman said. I second the car thing, you definitely need one. It might be a good idea to get a GPS too. That'll help you get around until you know your surroundings a little better. And while it is big, its really not that difficult to get around once you know the freeways and etc.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:54 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
LA only shuts down at 1AM if you don't know where to go, or if you only like nose-in-armpit hip-hop/top 40 meat markets. All the patrons there are taking off to go sleep with each other anyway, so why not have last call at 1:30 and close at 1:45?

The GOOD clubs stay up until the owner decides to call it quits. Usually between 4 and 6AM on regular nights. But you gotta know where to go, and have an open mind.

Being Carless:

You certainly can get around LA on the metro and on foot, though a skateboard, or bike (maybe a dahon collapsible) is a good idea as a backup. The rail, subway, and busway run to or close to most of the important spots with the glaring exception of the beach and nearby cities (except on the uber-expensive and unreliable Amtrak). Just don't be in a rush.

If you're into outdoor sports, you'll need to find a group and join their vanpool to the mountains, rivers, deserts, or beaches.

And there's always suckers who think you HAVE to have a car here, to mooch rides from.

Live where you work.

Craigslist is good for apartments. Be sure to check them out in person first.

Good luck.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 11,359 times
well this wastnt much help. i am an interntaional event coordinator and interpreter so the club stuff aint **** for me. i mean i really ive worked in clubs my whole life almost.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,490 times
Sorry you didn't receive the helpful response that you had hoped to receive. As you can tell, people here are busy and expect that you will be able to figure it out yourself and you will. None of this is very complicated. For most folks, they obtain their job first and then find a place to live that is within commuting distance to the job. If you will be living in the inner city, you will be able to take the metro train to many inner city locations, including the DMV. If you need help with anything in particular, contact me privately and I will try to point you in the right direction, if I know the answer myself.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseylaymon View Post
well this wastnt much help. i am an interntaional event coordinator and interpreter so the club stuff aint **** for me. i mean i really ive worked in clubs my whole life almost.

Wow, that was the most thankless, selfish response I've heard in a while. How about you NOT moving to LA? We would appreciate it.

If there is something specific you want, then say so. Based on your last comment it sounds like you want someone to cart you around and do all the work for you.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
just come here and check it out. aint no one gunna hold your hand thru it. unless your a kid. otherwise be grown and adventurous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: