Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,610,429 times

Advertisements

I posted here a few weeks ago about a possible job in Hollywood... that didn't pan out, but a recruiter from a game company in Santa Monica has reached out to my husband regarding two possible positions and mentioned a 40% increase in salary to offset the COL in CA. I crunched numbers, took into account the CA 10% income tax (correct?) and 30% taxes and it will give us an additional $25k a year... BUT my husband is currently taking a free bus or rides his bike to work...

it really comes down to how well we can find a good life there vs here, and I think it's going to be highly subjective...

We live in an family-filled, high-density "urban village" on the edge of Seattle civilization. We have nearly everything I need in terms of amenities, yet we're surrounded by trees, trails and not an uncommon sight to see a bear or a deer outside our condo. Schools are fantastic.

I'm most concerned about finding a place where it's easy for my kids to find playmates. My older kid has mild autism. I think we're in one of the few places left where you see kids in the streets and parks playing with each other until it's time to come in for the night. I love that... not sure where in LAX I could find that.. some place like Santa Clarita?

Otherwise, we don't need much... I really like yoga and living a modest, minimalistic lifestyle... we could totally rock a 2 bedroom apartment/condo if it's in a fantastic location for the kids (not buying, but we could go up to $650k to give you an idea of our price point). I don't care if my husband has an 1 hour commute (he does here), but I really would love walkability where we live... if I could get to the kids' school, library, yoga class, grocery store on foot or bike then I would be one happy camper.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,579,047 times
Um you say LAX...if that's really the area you mean, El Segundo is fantastic.

Playa Vista is also that way but I'm not sure about public schools...I think most people there go private...and I think it's very pricey, but not positive.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Um you say LAX...if that's really the area you mean, El Segundo is fantastic.

Playa Vista is also that way but I'm not sure about public schools...I think most people there go private...and I think it's very pricey, but not positive.
Sorry, I'm super unfamiliar with the area.. when I say LAX, I mean the entire Los Angeles area.. or rather, specifically I guess, Santa Monica...

let me know if I'm using LAX inappropriately!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:36 AM

El Segundo DOES look nice and it's near the beach!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:43 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,233,619 times
First, you're not going to find a house for less than a million dollars in Santa Monica.

Second of all, decent 1 bedrooms in Santa Monica go for 2k/mo. 2.5k + for 2 beds.

You could find something cheaper, such as 1600-1900 but there will be negatives.

As for buying a 2 bed condo, I think you should be able to find something at that price range in Santa Monica.

If your husband is working in Santa Monica, get a place in Santa Monica. That is the #1 rule of LA: Live close to work.

I live in Santa Monica (3rd St & California Avenue) and I work in Brentwood (Wilshire & Barrington).

It's only 3 miles away.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
First, you're not going to find a house for less than a million dollars in Santa Monica.

Second of all, decent 1 bedrooms in Santa Monica go for 2k/mo. 2.5k + for 2 beds.

You could find something cheaper, such as 1600-1900 but there will be negatives.

As for buying a 2 bed condo, I think you should be able to find something at that price range in Santa Monica.

If your husband is working in Santa Monica, get a place in Santa Monica. That is the #1 rule of LA: Live close to work.

I live in Santa Monica (3rd St & California Avenue) and I work in Brentwood (Wilshire & Barrington).

It's only 3 miles away.
I do anticipate at least $2.5k/2 bedrooms. Not a problem.

It appears that schools are good in Santa Monica... but how about green spaces such as parks? Again, we've got the kid factor...

Old 05-10-2014, 12:13 PM

601 posts, read 750,766 times
Santa Monica has a lot of green spaces, not including the beach itself, which is essentially a giant long stretch of public park. And the foothills of the Santa Monica mountains are only a bit ride away. It's probably the best urban-ish place in LA for people with kids...if you have the money.

(edit) bike ride, not "bit ride" haha.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,149,302 times
The commute from Santa Clarita to Santa Monica would be approx 35 miles. That distance can be a challenge in any region. In LA it is generally a nightmare. Some good suggestions so far. Would definitely consider a city closer to Santa Monica. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2014, 01:39 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,158,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Sorry, I'm super unfamiliar with the area.. when I say LAX, I mean the entire Los Angeles area.. or rather, specifically I guess, Santa Monica...

let me know if I'm using LAX inappropriately!
LAX strictly refers to Los Angeles International Airport.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,761,893 times
Seattle is Seattle and Santa Monica is Santa Monica. If you love one, it is highly doubtful you'll love the other. At the high salary of good lifestyle you currently love, why bother moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles