Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,223 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a 20something university (college) student from the UK hitting up L.A. for the summer and I've got a whole load of queries. So please sit tight and bear with me-

1) I'll be working in Culver City. I hear it's a mixture of rough and nice, so which are the rough bits and nice bits?

2) As a young woman travelling alone, what specific threats should I look out for and in what areas? Please be specific ie. gangs in XYZ neighbourhood. I'll be taking normal precautions but I want to be safe.

3) What do young people my age in LA do to meet new people? Where are the hip & happening places and bars where everyone goes to in the evening/ weekend afternoons? Please bear in mind that I'm underage.

4) I'm also looking for a church. Which churches are Biblically solid yet have vibrant, dynamic 20something/ singles ministries? From online research I'm leaning strongly towards Bel Air Presbyterian, but I'd like to hear some opinions from the natives

Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbritishchick View Post
3) What do young people my age in LA do to meet new people? Where are the hip & happening places and bars where everyone goes to in the evening/ weekend afternoons? Please bear in mind that I'm underage
Welcome to California. One of the best places to meet like-minded people is to spend some time at the beach. Enjoy your stay.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,765 times
Hello Brit, I'm an LA guy and fairly young (thirties) so i can probably help.

Culver City is not rough lol..but if you go south then yeah that's South Central..stay out

Specific threats to women in that area? If you're attractive then the threat of getting asked out on a date is quite high! Stay out of South Central LA and East LA and you'll be fine.

So you're not 21? Kind of rough re clubs but they do have under 21 clubs in LA. Check the internets. Los Angeles Nightlife - Los Angeles Clubs & Bars Guide - LANightLife.com it's hard to meet people here cause it's very clique-y - church is your best best

I know a church in wilshire district that has mostly 20 somethings but seems a bit of drive for you.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
FYI, she said she was from the UK, not England. There is a huge difference, maybe not for you, but for them. UK is composed of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland etc.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
FYI, she said she was from the UK, not England. There is a huge difference, maybe not for you, but for them. UK is composed of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland etc.
calm down

Old 05-12-2014, 05:01 PM

601 posts, read 755,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Her screename is britishchick....

OP: Culver city is totally safe, you'll be fine, just don't wander around alone at night, use common sense, etc etc. Regarding church though....to be perfectly honest, I'm in my 20's and moved here a year ago, and I haven't met a single person in my age group who attends any sort of religious service, not even "Christmas and Easter" types.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:52 PM

INfiNiTychild previously referred to her as "Englander" in his response, but I see he has since changed it. I was told to calm down. Oh brother. The maturity level of this board is often lacking.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Her screename is britishchick....
Let me help you out.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:00 PM

Nice. Where do the Falkland Islands ("Malvinas") and Gibraltar fit in? lol

Old 05-12-2014, 07:45 PM

248 posts, read 310,384 times
She probably is from England. I've never heard of a Scottish person label themselves as British. Same goes for Welsh people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles