Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:51 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Work a job (or jobs) with irregular hours so you are not always commuting at the same time and in the same direction as everyone else is.

Study the traffic patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is definitely true. But if at all possible, people should err on the side of having a smaller place closer to work over a larger place farther from work. In the past, people would pretty predictably go for the larger place further out, but I think that attitude is changing (thankfully!).
There are more factors, at least for me. I work on the westside. I have an excellent job and wouldn't consider leaving. But I also hate the westside. I have zero interest in living there. It's too congested and urban. I'm middle aged and single and I want something more relaxed. I live in Burbank, near Griffith Park, and I absolutely love it here. What good is getting home in 15 minutes if you hate where you live? On the weekend I stay out here and really enjoy it. The Verdugos are close, local traffic isn't a problem so shopping, etc, is easy. I do have flexible hours so I go in later and stay later - and that make it a lot easier to deal with.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is definitely true. But if at all possible, people should err on the side of having a smaller place closer to work over a larger place farther from work. In the past, people would pretty predictably go for the larger place further out, but I think that attitude is changing (thankfully!).

Well higher fuel prices enter the equation, but when Mr. and Mrs. Middle Class can get the below for 500K in the IE (and spend hours on the freeway), it is still a draw to many, but perhaps less so.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 05-13-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
We owned our place and we sold it and purchased another place closer.
Congrats. Now do that every couple of years and get back to me.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM

451 posts, read 562,595 times
There are several ways to deal with LA traffic that anyone that's accustomed to living here knows about:
1) Live/work within a reasonable driving distance. I know this is a tough task to ask some people, especially for homeowners that have found subsequent employment and due to housing prices. But if doable, think about traffic flow;
2) Learn to work with traffic. Find something else to do during rush hour times. In the instances where I had to drive from OC to LA from 5-7pm, I chose to go to the gym instead. Others might be able to;
3) Plan ahead. Multiply normal drive times by at least 2. Always factor traffic into the equation when setting up meetings/hang outs. If you want to get together with friends, always suggest a spot in the middle. Any true friend, whether on the eastside or westside should agree to this arrangement;
4) Pay attention to the traffic report. A truck catching fire under a bridge? Police motorcade funeral? Some dude threatening to jump over a bridge? Anything is possible in LA so pay attention to the reports;
5) Find shortcuts. There are many alternate routes in LA where you could get away without even getting on the freeway;
6) Date within your area. Unfortunately, this is a reality for some. I've had to face many a situation where I wouldn't even date a girl that lived outside certain personal boundaries. Ever heard of the expression "Don't date the 818?" That probably has a lot to due with the drive from/to LA <--> Valley;
7) Public transportation. Whenever possible, use it;
8) Suck it up. Traffic is never going to get any better in LA. If you can't work with these rules then make sure your car has good A/C.

Last edited by latino_esq; 05-14-2014 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Editing

Old 05-14-2014, 03:34 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,312 times
I often bike to work, about 10 miles. I really like the predictability of biking, because my commute each day takes the same amount of time. When I bike, I know it will take 45 minutes, no matter what else may be going on in the city.

But, I still drive sometimes, when I'm feeling lazy. Driving, for me, is usually faster, but, you can't rely on it being faster. When I drive, it has taken anywhere between 15 minutes (Carmageddon) and 90 minutes (ObamaJam #1).

When I'm leaving town by car on a Friday to go to the mountains or whatever, I always get on the roads before 3:00pm or after 9:00pm.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:24 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Congrats. Now do that every couple of years and get back to me.
If I need to change jobs every two years and the commute is horrible, then, yes I will do that. Moving is temporary...a ****ty commute is continuous.

If you are stuck in a lease agreement or don't want to pay the cap gains on the house, then stick it out until you can move.
If your child is really attached to the school or you really love the house and would rather commute...then deal with the commute or find a way to work from home.

If your house doesn't sell or you screwed up your credit...then that's when you get into a tricky situation.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 PM

27 posts, read 50,691 times
1) live close to work;
2) learn when to avoid freeways, and which surface streets to use. For example, if going to LAX from the Westside, consider using La Cienega instead of the obvious 405, depending upon time of day. If going to Downtown from Pasadena on a bad day, use surface streets to Chinatown. Etc.
3) meditate;
4) rent/borrow or buy audio books -- my wife has a long commute and this really helps. You can check them out from the LAPL I think;
5) don't be afraid to use the trains or buses if that works. I know a guy who lives way out in the Valley and commutes to Downtown. He does it by using the Red Line and the express bus in the Valley. Be aggressive about seeking out any EXPRESS buses that go from your office to your home, or nearby. It may add a little time to your commute, but being able to sit and read is worth it;
6) if you work a job with steady hours, find people you work with who live near you and share commuting responsibilities with them;
7) live REALLY far out and use the commuter buses to get to Downtown;
8) never go near the Hollywood Bowl at or around the time of a show;
9) use the Waze app religiously;
10) never go near the Grove, ever, except at like 2am;
11) never go near the intersection of the 405 and Wilshire Blvd;
12) never go through Downtown on the 110 or 5 at rush-hour (4:45pm to 6pm);
13) don't work in Century City, and if you do, consider a new job;
14) fly to Vegas, don't drive;
15) when leaving town to go anywhere (Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Ojai, San Diego, etc.) near a weekend, leave before about 2pm or after about 8:30pm;
16) again, use the Waze app!

Not all of that is helpful or possible for everyone, but hope something in there catches your eye.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times
The problem with much of this advice is that too many people know it, which defeats the purpose.

Short cuts? Side streets? In Santa Monica, I've seen Arizona Avenue backed up, bumper-to-bumper, on some bad days, because everyone is trying to avoid Wilshire or Santa Monica Blvd on the way to the 405. ALL those drivers had the same idea: "Hey, I'll take a side street, like Arizona."

Leave early on weekends? But that's what everyone thinks. Sometimes traffic can already be jammed by 2 p.m., especially on 3-day weekends. So then EVERYONE gets the same "new" idea and begins leaving at 1 p.m.

One good way to avoid traffic is, if you've figured out a good method, don't share it,

Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadenan View Post
13) don't work in Century City, and if you do, consider a new job;
why do u say this? i find that area nice. the mall there is awesome and you u could live in Bev. Hills with a short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles