Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,486 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals,

I'm very excited to move to LA and I've read some great advice on this forum. Just thought I'd ask some questions about my personal situation.

I will be working in Westwood and was wondering what neighborhoods and what price range I should look into for someone my age (21) that does not know anyone in LA?

Also, what is my expected take home salary? (I heard 2/3) I'm single with no dependents or family. I was expecting to pay around $1700 in rent but I'm hoping I could do less to save more.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 03:54 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,377,912 times
Santa Monica would sound great for you. 25-30 minute commute to Westwood.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:10 PM

908 posts, read 1,298,615 times
I agree with PDF. Santa Monica is probably the best bet. West Hollywood is also another option if you want to be close to a lot of nightlife.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,298,690 times
Agree with Santa Monica. Personally, I prefer Venice Beach though. But that's all personal preference. And as for Santa Monica, I prefer the Main Street area over the downtown/north of the 10 area. It's less commercialized and touristy. Abbott Kinney in Venice Beach is a cool street to live by. Both of these definitely have the beach vibe going on though, less so in downtown Santa Monica though.

Westwood itself has some pretty cool things, though it's heavily UCLA focused. As a 21 yo though, maybe you'll like the idea of having some college and grad student aged people around you.

West Hollywood is a good option too like socal mentioned. If you prefer the city life and more urban streets with better nightlife and the beach isn't a priority, West Hollywood is more for you. The problem with "WeHo" is that it's kinda wrapped up in two scenes: gay and entertainment. If you're not gay or in the entertainment industry, friends could be a little harder to find there.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,152,040 times
Brentwood has lots of young professionals and is close to both Westwood and Santa Monica.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 AM

671 posts, read 1,187,373 times
No WeHo. Getting to and from Westwood durung rush, and some other times, can be maddening. Santa Monica Blvd. becomes a parking lot. FORGET IT. You are better off living on the westside. Santa Monica is good as suggested, but West LA may have some housing that suits your needs/budget. You have to search.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 AM

252 posts, read 517,398 times
If you like cities that somewhat liberal and are compact like San Francisco i guess then you'll you will like Santa Monica just add the hollywood industry types but with better weather. I personally dislike living in santa monica , i used to live there a few years ago in Santa Monica Canyon, but i have a lot friends that love living there. It depends on the person. What is unique about Santa Monica is that people actually walk around the city. Venice is kind of like Santa Monica but it has a boardwalk, more crime and Hipsters of course.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 AM

925 posts, read 1,330,561 times
1700 is alot to pay for rent. You should recalculate your expenses!!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 AM

Thanks a lot!!

Sounds like Santa Monica is the most recommended choice. I'm from the east coast so I have really no idea what is a reasonable price range and the methods you use to find housing. I have been looking on craigslist and westside rentals, are those good options? anything else you recommend. Thanks

Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
1700 is alot to pay for rent. You should recalculate your expenses!!
Kasuga, that is my max price, the building would have to have a gym, pool and be within walking distance to the office. Thanks for your advice though, will look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles