U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:29 PM

4,115 posts, read 10,372,133 times

Advertisements

Want to hear something interesting?

Someone on the Charlotte, NC area boards said they are thinking of moving from CA to NC and how were neighbors. They said they didn't ever speak to their neighbors and would like "neighborly" folks.

Interesting thing is, ALL the things I listed that I liked about our neighbors here in Charlotte were exactly the same things I listed about our neighbors in Pasadena.

1. One neighbor babysat our kids
2. One neighbor called us while we were on vacation to let us know something
that was going on at our house that we needed to know about.
3. One neighbor came over to help when we had a tree fall down on our
property.
4. All neighbors have been very friendly for the most part.

All 4 of these things happened in Pasenda and Charlotte, so the fact of the matter is that people are people and you will find and attract people who are like you OR you are looking in the wrong place if you can only find rude, insensitive, unruly or disrespectful people.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM

450 posts, read 1,742,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
A lot of it has to do with all the transplants that move here from other parts of the country and other countries for that matter. Lots of these people bring with them their allegiances to their hometown teams so there is no true feeling and support of the LA teams.
The thing is, Denver has a higher percent of transplants. I believe the native-Colorado born percentage is about 30-35%, compared to 50% in SoCal. Yet you don't see that there -- in fact, supporting the Denver teams is a big way many newcomers become part of the Denver culture.

I think because sports isn't as important in SoCal to most natives, newcomers are more likely to hold on to their old allegiances. Many newcomers try to get into the local sports, but they find it just isn't the same, and revert to their old allegiances from previous cities.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One reason for this is the lack of home grown passion. Many people in LA are from somewhere else - new yawk, boston, chicago, milwaukee, detroit, etc. They still dig on those teams. Go to a mets Dodgers game, 60% of the fans are rooting for the mets. Same thing at an Angels red sox game.

Another thing is championships are expected in LA. Not winning one is more of a disappointment than winning one is a surprise. Heck, the Lakers may do it this year - who would have been thinking this four months ago??? Don't we all expect USC to win next year? How about the Dodgers with Torre managing?

Also, I'd bet more people in SoCal play neighborhood soccer league than watch NFL. Go to any big park in LA on the weekends and man it is packed with soccer players.
Soccer is the one sport that really has great support here. Go to a Galaxy or Chivas USA game -- the fan base is knowledgable, enthusiastic, and passionate. I've become a big soccer fan since moving here.

The LA Kings crowd is pretty impressive as well, considering the team's performance through most of this decade.

I've tried getting into a lot of other teams, but the fan base just seems fickle and shallow for a lot of teams. They're there if they win, not if they lose, and the fans tend to be less than knowledgable. For me personally as a transplant, that's the reason I haven't adopted all the local teams as I have in past moves.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What you don't realize is that the air quality in Los Angeles can vary from pretty bad to quite good. It all depends on what part of Los Angeles you're talking about.
Agreed entirely! In fact, the fresh air of coastal areas is a major reason I moved out here. The pollen counts are a lot lower than landlocked cities, and for many of us, that has as many or more short and long term health effects than air pollution.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
The thing is, Denver has a higher percent of transplants. I believe the native-Colorado born percentage is about 30-35%, compared to 50% in SoCal.
That is interesting. I think I read somewhere that Denver is the smallest city to have all four major sports teams. What else is unique about LA Sports Teams? Lots of corporate season ticket holders - maybe they really don't care about winning as much as having a good time after work? Hassle to drive to Dodger Stadium or Staples especially if you don't work downtown? Lots of very wealthy ticketholders - does it keep the average Joe out?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM

My Kings tickets, on the sides, are cheaper today than my Avs tickets, on the ends (worse seats) were in 1997. When I had Angels tickets, they were $6 per seat as season tickets in 2005 for the same seats that cost $12 per seat in Denver in 1995.

Generally, tickets are a lot cheaper in SoCal -- Lakers notwithstanding (but that's more of a glitz thing than a sports thing anyway, ugh!).

I will say though... the Kings and Galaxy have been great to deal with, but several other SoCal teams where I've had season or partial tickets have been very, very difficult to deal with. Perhaps that is also part of what turns off relocating fans?

Another aspect is the media. Sports dominates the Denver media -- it's everywhere around you. But in SoCal, the sports media is limited, and what their is, is often low quality. I've given up even following the local media!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That is interesting. I think I read somewhere that Denver is the smallest city to have all four major sports teams. What else is unique about LA Sports Teams? Lots of corporate season ticket holders - maybe they really don't care about winning as much as having a good time after work? Hassle to drive to Dodger Stadium or Staples especially if you don't work downtown? Lots of very wealthy ticketholders - does it keep the average Joe out?
No offense, but saying a city has a lot of sports teams is like... negative to some of us.

In fact, I'd like to throw a few grenades around Denver for taxing me for that horse **** stadium they bilked the taxpayers for. **** them!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
But in SoCal, the sports media is limited, and what their is, is often low quality.
Thank God!!!

I hate all that sports stuff. If they start broadcasting it here, I'm going to invest in one of those universal TV shutoff switches.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM

396 posts, read 1,599,161 times
on saturday's, on local tv, all i get is sports.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,494,559 times
I think once LA Live/Staples construction is over/ESPN moves in w/sports-oriented bars/clubs.

Lakers are kickin butt - big time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles