U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times

Advertisements

This is your friendly, neighborhood moderator stepping in again...

For the most part, this thread has remained civil and polite. I had to edit one post for language (sorry, but "dick" used in that context was unacceptable).

I've lived in L.A. County all my life, and yes, there are the shallow, me-me-me people with their fake boobs and their ritzy cars, etc. There are also a lot of hard-working people behind the scenes, people who just do their jobs and try to live as normal a life as possible.

I raised my two kids for the past twelve years as a "single single" parent, and they had to use my computer until they were each old enough to buy their own. They didn't get cell phones until they had jobs. And my daughter wasn't allowed to dress older than her age. On the flip side, I don't make a habit of dressing too young for my age, either!

In short, people are people. In a metropolis of 11 million people, you're going to find all kinds, depending on what business you're in, what area of town you work in, etc. Unfortunately, I can't comment on So-Cal behavior vs the rest of the country because I've only lived here. I'm hoping to change that at some point in the future!

As for air quality, I make it a habit to never breathe air I can't see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 PM

57,813 posts, read 76,763,748 times
in mississippi the people are real real nice and the weather is lousy
in california its exactly the opposite.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Ok I hear ya. So my question... Why the interest in culture shock outside of CA, are you looking at a move or just curious to the outside world?
I'm curious. Also, I recently had a job where I'd interact with various people in Southern California, and it really is remarkable how rude and il-mannered such a great deal of people are, particularly when I didn't even need to speak to these people, but rather they approached me whilst in the middle of doing my field work, and even though my job didn't necessitate any interaction with these people whatsoever, they seemed to believe that since I wore an ID badge that I was somehow beholden to them. It was a rather odd experience.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 AM

22,692 posts, read 28,332,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
in mississippi the people are real real nice and the weather is lousy
in california its exactly the opposite.
Too much of a generalization. There are many nice people out here.

I'll give you an example... I was at a restaurant with some car guys and one of them gave the waitress a Christmas tip of $100 and his order only came to about $20.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 PM

450 posts, read 1,742,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Thank God!!!

I hate all that sports stuff. If they start broadcasting it here, I'm going to invest in one of those universal TV shutoff switches.
Strange... you might have noticed sports have been on TV since the early days of TV.....

It's around, it's just of lower quality in LA than in most cities.

Perhaps I'm missing the sarcasm?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Los Angeles sports fans (despite the reputation for being fair weathered and "leave in the 7th inning" types) have been very fortunate to have had some of the greatest broadcasters in sports history: Chick Hearn (Lakers since 1961), Vin Scully (Dodgers since 1951), Dick Enberg (used to be the baseball coach at CSUN, then the Rams and Angels announcer in the 1970s then NBC), and Bob Miller (with the Kings since 1973). I was the kid that took the radio with him to bed listening to Chick call Jerry West's drives and Vin call Willie Davis's catches and Bob call Rogie Vachon's saves.

Maybe it's watered down now with all the cable channels - not sure.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Los Angeles sports fans (despite the reputation for being fair weathered and "leave in the 7th inning" types) have been very fortunate to have had some of the greatest broadcasters in sports history: Chick Hearn (Lakers since 1961), Vin Scully (Dodgers since 1951), Dick Enberg (used to be the baseball coach at CSUN, then the Rams and Angels announcer then NBC), and Bob Miller (with the Kings since 1973). I was the kid that took the radio with him to bed listening to Chick call Jerry West's drives and Vin call Willie Davis's catches and Bob call Rogie Vachon's saves.

Maybe it's watered down now with all the cable channels - not sure.
That, I agree with entirely! However, what I'm referring to is the frequent mistakes in the media - print, TV, and radio -- especially when it comes to hockey. The lack of pre-game and post-game shows on many events is surprising when compared to other American sports markets. And I don't think it's an issue of saturation -- SoCal has 8-10 major sports teams (depending on where you classify MLS) and two major colleges -- but also two FSNs. Divide that by two, and it's the same number as many other metro areas.

Bob Miller is great to listen to, he's hardly aged as well during those 35 years!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Strange... you might have noticed sports have been on TV since the early days of TV.....

Perhaps I'm missing the sarcasm?
No sarcasm. I hate that stuff. Los Angeles has like half (or less) of the sports fans that cities like Denver and Pittsburgh have. Like I said, Thank God!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
No sarcasm. I hate that stuff. Los Angeles has like half (or less) of the sports fans that cities like Denver and Pittsburgh have. Like I said, Thank God!!!
Hmm, why so bitter? I'm a sports fan who certainly does not enjoy the opera -- but if my city has a good opera and good opera patrons, then good for them and good for my city! Even if I did not enjoy it, I would take pride in it, as I would take pride in my city/metro.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't want their city to be as good as possible in all categories. Being strong in one category does not weaken it in another category.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:24 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Hmm, why so bitter? I'm a sports fan who certainly does not enjoy the opera -- but if my city has a good opera and good opera patrons, then good for them and good for my city! Even if I did not enjoy it, I would take pride in it, as I would take pride in my city/metro.
Because I see it as a sign of intelligence. I'm not bitter in the slightest, I just take great pride that many Angelenos are intelligent enough to not be a part of that crap. I would hate to see the city lower it's standards.

If you wanna compare "categories;" opera is like a fine chinese vase made at the height of the Forbidden City. Football, basketball, baseball and the like are a cheap plastic ring you get from a vending machine for $0.25

I know you don't understand. I don't expect you to.

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone doesn't want their city to be as good as possible in all categories. Being strong in one category does not weaken it in another category.
Because I don't consider it a good quality. It [sports] cheapen a city. And I do not entirely mean fiscally (but I have arguments that it has a negative financial impact as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles