U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 PM

450 posts, read 1,742,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Because I see it as a sign of intelligence. I'm not bitter in the slightest, I just take great pride that many Angelenos are intelligent enough to not be a part of that crap. I would hate to see the city lower it's standards.

If you wanna compare "categories;" opera is like a fine chinese vase made at the height of the Forbidden City. Football, basketball, baseball and the like are a cheap plastic ring you get from a vending machine for $0.25

I know you don't understand. I don't expect you to.

Because I don't consider it a good quality. It [sports] cheapen a city. And I do not entirely mean fiscally (but I have arguments that it has a negative financial impact as well).
Wow. You might have just changed my opinion. Perhaps I don't want opera in my city, if it leads to attitudes like that.

Opera is better than sports? Opera lovers better than sports lovers? Why is one better than the other? They are both interests, both passions for many people. To say one passion is superior to another is ridiculous, in my opinion.

You're right, I don't understand. And I hope I never do. I hope I never get that pretentious and self-righteous in my life. And I hope I am never so condescending that I would stoop to a phrase such as "you won't understand, but I wouldn't expect you to.?

If I understood, I'd work at making sure I changed my attitude so it no longer made sense.

Sorry, but your post is way over the top in snobbishness. To bash someone's passion is classless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
To bash someone's passion is classless.
You would know I guess.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You would know I guess.
I don't recall bashing your passion. All I said is if my tolerance of opera types leads to attitudes like the one you have displayed in this thread -- not people with passions like you -- then I would decline to have that in my city.

That being said, I still want my city to be a diverse, cosmopolitan city where ideally one can go to sports events and fine arts events and feel comfortable doing both. You have indicated that is not your case, even indicating in an earlier post you'd like to toss some grenades around because Denver built a great meeting point in a beautiful football stadium.

Did you oppose Denver's construction of the performing arts center as well? If you did, then I see your point. If not, that would be hypocritical -- or if you believe arts are better than sports -- then condescending and arrogant, which is worse than hypocritical.

I don't believe I am the intolerant one here, am I?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I don't recall bashing your passion. All I said is if my tolerance of opera types leads to attitudes like the one you have displayed in this thread -- not people with passions like you -- then I would decline to have that in my city.

That being said, I still want my city to be a diverse, cosmopolitan city where ideally one can go to sports events and fine arts events and feel comfortable doing both. You have indicated that is not your case, even indicating in an earlier post you'd like to toss some grenades around because Denver built a great meeting point in a beautiful football stadium.

Did you oppose Denver's construction of the performing arts center as well? If you did, then I see your point. If not, that would be hypocritical -- or if you believe arts are better than sports -- then condescending and arrogant, which is worse than hypocritical.

I don't believe I am the intolerant one here, am I?
The performing arts center didn't STEAL any money from unwitting citizens the way Denver's football stadium did. I do not go to operas.

I say that "you don't understand" because you are a sports fan. As a sports fan, you can never understand my side of things. This was clearly displayed in your last hostile post with your [crying] about how I've somehow insulted you because I think sports are dumb. Sports fans are fundamentalists. No, wait, I retract that, they're worse. They are fans. Fanatics; marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion (bold added). I am intolerant of this kind of non-thinking. Don't be so upset that not everyone likes your hobby or wants it in this town. It's just a varying opinion.

Please relax.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The performing arts center didn't STEAL any money from unwitting citizens the way Denver's football stadium did. I do not go to operas.

I say that "you don't understand" because you are a sports fan. As a sports fan, you can never understand my side of things. This was clearly displayed in your last hostile post with your [crying] about how I've somehow insulted you because I think sports are dumb. Sports fans are fundamentalists. No, wait, I retract that, they're worse. They are fans. Fanatics; marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion (bold added). I am intolerant of this kind of non-thinking. Don't be so upset that not everyone likes your hobby or wants it in this town. It's just a varying opinion.

Please relax.
How did the stadium "STEAL" money? Please explain. And yes, I did live in Denver during that time period. I am curious as to why you say that -- not angry, just curious.

I am not upset you do not like my hobby. I am upset that you choose to bash my hobby. There is a big difference. I am sure you have hobbies I do not enjoy, and they probably cost me money in some way as a taxpayer. But the difference is, I believe that is your right to enjoy those hobbies without critics trying to bring them down.

Yes, I am passionate about sports, particularly hockey. It has been the center of my cultural life since before I can remember. I have learned important life lessons through the game, and I live the culture of the game. To insult the game is far more offensive than insulting me personally, and many fans do feel that way. And I am proud of that, proud to be part of such a great community of great people. See, when you criticize the game and its fans, you have criticized my family, my closest friends, the very nature of who I am.

As far as not being critical -- I am what most call a critical fan when it comes to performances of my teams. But I don't criticize sports, hobbies, interests, whatever. And that is what touched me off.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
How did the stadium "STEAL" money? Please explain. And yes, I did live in Denver during that time period. I am curious as to why you say that -- not angry, just curious.

I am not upset you do not like my hobby. I am upset that you choose to bash my hobby. There is a big difference. I am sure you have hobbies I do not enjoy, and they probably cost me money in some way as a taxpayer. But the difference is, I believe that is your right to enjoy those hobbies without critics trying to bring them down.
They put a mandatory tax on items sold within the city to help pay for the stadium. That's called a jack- stealing. For what? Stupidity.

~

You have the right to pursue happiness in any way that you like. I'll exercise my freedom of speech and try to educate a few people.

What is the problem again?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
They put a mandatory tax on items sold within the city to help pay for the stadium. That's called a jack- stealing. For what? Stupidity.
Hmm...isn't taxation the way ALL government-funded facilities are paid for?

There already existed a mandatory tax -- aka a sales tax -- this was just a temporary one-cent increase. And that extension was actually planned for funding Coors Field, but when that was paid off early, they used the remaining funding earmarked for Coors to build the new Mile High.

And I don't think you can deny the presence of Coors Field and the businesses that followed was the trigger for great redevelopment in the LoDo area. In L.A. we are seeing a similar phenomenon around Staples Center. San Diego saw it around Petco Park.

To me, everyone in the city benefitted. Clearly, you see it differently. But perhaps we should move this to the Denver forum -- I almost forgot, we are in the L.A. forum!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
To me, everyone in the city benefitted.
As stated, YOU would see it this way.

Thanks for offering to take it off line. I have no desire to speak with any of the Denver sheeple at this time. I moved away from ignorance to be away from it, not to revisit it.

~

So, what makes Southern Southern Californian Behavior vs. the Rest of the U.S.???

We're more enlightened. (Or so Id like to believe. So much for that theory!)

Old 02-27-2008, 07:51 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,269,835 times
Lived in OC for two years. I found quite a difference between SoCal people and my Philly folks, and mostly in a good way. The best example was when I caused the line to back up at Linens 'n Things as I fumbled trying to find a receipt. There must've been 6 or 7 people in line behind me. I turned around to apologize, and every one of them said "don't worry about it, take your time". That would NEVER happen in Philly. Second favorite thing was polite drivers (put your signal on to change lanes on the 405, and they instantly let you in....here they speed up). No honking, no fingers. Also loved the ethnic diversity. Seemed to be less racism.

Why'd I move back? I ask myself that same thing or hot, humid days of summer....or now, when it's freezing out. I missed Philly. Missed the East-Coast intensity. Missed the passion for the Eagles....it really is no wonder there's no NFL team in LA. They don't care about NFL football. Missed the ethnic traditions of the Irish, the Italians....yeah, they're out there, but they're all watered-down. There's no place like home.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,494,559 times
Totally agree! Having successful sports franchises benefits everyone. That's why LA Live is being developed [w/ subway access btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles