U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM

450 posts, read 1,742,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
As stated, YOU would see it this way.

Thanks for offering to take it off line. I have no desire to speak with any of the Denver sheeple at this time. I moved away from ignorance to be away from it, not to revisit it.

~

So, what makes Southern Southern Californian Behavior vs. the Rest of the U.S.???

We're more enlightened. (Or so Id like to believe. So much for that theory!)

Yep, us sports fans are a bunch of dim bulbs. But that's most of the country, based on Super Bowl ratings! And even most of SoCal.

I guess you prefered LoDo when it was dangerous, violent, decaying, and uninhabited -- since you said I (implying you don't) would see the improvements brought on by Coors Field to be a good thing.

I suppose we'll agree to disagree -- but I think my thoughts are a lot more mainstream than your radical, sports fan-hating opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Second favorite thing was polite drivers (put your signal on to change lanes on the 405, and they instantly let you in....here they speed up). No honking, no fingers. Also loved the ethnic diversity. Seemed to be less racism.

Why'd I move back? I ask myself that same thing or hot, humid days of summer....or now, when it's freezing out. I missed Philly. Missed the East-Coast intensity. Missed the passion for the Eagles....it really is no wonder there's no NFL team in LA. They don't care about NFL football. Missed the ethnic traditions of the Irish, the Italians....yeah, they're out there, but they're all watered-down. There's no place like home.
Yes -- drivers are very polite in SoCal -- they are good at letting you in, and generally, everyone realizes people have to share the road. California drivers get an unjustified bad rap -- I enjoy driving here.

The lack of racism and the tolerance is great as well! I know there are those who paint LA as a racial battleground, but for 99.999% of people, this is a tolerant society.

The things I miss and make me question my future here are the same things you miss -- the passion, the community togetherness, the way everyone rallies around things like sports. Here, we get some people like we've seen on this thread who seem bent on throwing a wrench in those plans, and to me, it keeps it from feeling like home. I'm not sure what "drives" people here -- it's not the sports, it's not the creation of successful cities, it's not the schools (which vary greatly from suburb to suburb)... what is the core, the heart of the city?

I hope it doesn't sound sappy or anything, because that's not my style.. but it's nice to think we're all in this together, and there's some uniting force. That's what I love about sports -- the way it unites a city. But as we've seen on this thread, here it just seems to divide a city, making it a far less desirable place to live in my opinion, whether or not you're a sports fan. And I choose sports because I know it best -- but you could substitute many other things for sports and it would still be true.

It's a strange place -- you love and hate it at the same time!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Yep, us sports fans are a bunch of dim bulbs. But that's most of the country, based on Super Bowl ratings! And even most of SoCal.

I guess you prefered LoDo when it was dangerous, violent, decaying, and uninhabited -- since you said I (implying you don't) would see the improvements brought on by Coors Field to be a good thing.

I suppose we'll agree to disagree -- but I think my thoughts are a lot more mainstream than your radical, sports fan-hating opinions!
Yeah, be proud, you're part of the mainstream!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,494,559 times
HockeyFan

Appreciate your sentiments. Perhaps I can propose other aspects.

Los Angeles is a Western city developed much later than most other US cities. Owens Lake canal allow SoCal to become an oasis of fruit farms/agriculture followed by auto - mobility [thus the eventual suburbs]. Community is where you live. For example, neighborhoods [Venice/Santa Monica definitely have a sense of community or Silverlake/El Sereno/East LA. I live in a foothill area where everyone knows each other/have occasional block parties [to attend if you like yet no one intrudes or gossips

Sports in LA are just one of many things a person can enjoy and it isn't important to many Angelenos. But the games are sold out [ex Clippers lol] and the fans want top players. Soccer games have a real feel of pride for LA [lots a crazy fans chanting hysterically

Old 02-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
HockeyFan

Appreciate your sentiments. Perhaps I can propose other aspects.

Los Angeles is a Western city developed much later than most other US cities. Owens Lake canal allow SoCal to become an oasis of fruit farms/agriculture followed by auto - mobility [thus the eventual suburbs]. Community is where you live. For example, neighborhoods [Venice/Santa Monica definitely have a sense of community or Silverlake/El Sereno/East LA. I live in a foothill area where everyone knows each other/have occasional block parties [to attend if you like yet no one intrudes or gossips

Sports in LA are just one of many things a person can enjoy and it isn't important to many Angelenos. But the games are sold out [ex Clippers lol] and the fans want top players. Soccer games have a real feel of pride for LA [lots a crazy fans chanting hysterically
Agreed -- soccer has by far the best atmosphere of any LA sports!

I do think cities like Denver and Dallas are just as young as LA in terms of when they were developed, migration patterns -- in fact, I'd say they're younger, yet the sports teams are definitely more popular.

I do agree with the sense of regionalism in SoCal -- personally, I don't care for it, I prefer the region as a whole to have a pride and an identity. But here, it's more about your particular neighborhood or suburb -- good if you meet people through schools and churches I guess... but hard when you're a single person surrounded by families!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:42 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,494,559 times
I think another reason is that instead of watching sports you can play sports in Los Angeles every day of the year. Surfers, of-course, need protection from the chilly Pacific water. I don't think there is another city comparable to LA's population that is as physically fit. Gyms/pools/mountain/desert biking/golf courses/beaches/health nuts

But pretty much all my friends follow sports & enjoy Lakers/Dodgers/Angels/Kings & even the Clips lol

Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 AM

202 posts, read 817,639 times
Default Thats right.

[quote=HockeyFan;2969786]Yes -- drivers are very polite in SoCal -- they are good at letting you in, and generally, everyone realizes people have to share the road. California drivers get an unjustified bad rap -- I enjoy driving here.

For previous posts, it's all about where you compare it too. If you compare LA and SoCal to hectic busy east coast cities, you will always find that the east coast cities are more busy. It's like the rats in a cage analogy (overused but true). People from cities like Savannah Georgia think LA people are hectic.

There is something to be said about passion and community though, like you were saying. I never felt any of that, any where in socal. The outside rural areas may have it, but not the cities. I don't see why you would be worried about sounding sappy "who cares". If there's no heart in a big city then what is there?

I never felt so lonely in my entire life as when I lived in LA. Tons of people around me but we were always separated by our need to filter through the traffic streets and lines to get where we were going. The LA downtown area has no walking traffic except during the day and then it's only business people. You can't meet someone in your car, even though they are right next to you and if you tried they might think you were weird.

People don't make the day out of going downtown. If you don't have a downtown vibe then there's no single beating heart that sets the scene. Instead there are many little areas that are a drive to get too and they all have separate identities.

When I lived in Seattle it was awesome (little like San Fran but better) despite the rain, people there love their downtown area. They come to downtown to visit for the day. There are absolutely gorgeous views and nooks and little parks where you can view the beautiful Puget sound. The city is always clean because of the rain (very little smog because of the winds). Despite popular belief Seattle doesn't get any more rain than most cities, in fact places like New York get more rain. It's the grey days that make people think it rains more than it does.

There are many little cool hangout coffee shops and cool little places to go where people are hanging out and talking there are people walking everywhere. No cooler than you vibe or fashion shows going on. People are all dressing and acting the way they like. The only place where I liked to go in LA was Santa Monica on the promenade. I thought it was fairly cool there, but it doesn't compare to how a place like Seattle was.

Being a sports fan doesn't make you ignorant, there are plenty of people who are part time sports fans and they aren't stupid. I am not a huge fan of going to games but I will occasionally, it's about having something that brings the city together a sense of community. Its that feeling you get when you put your hand over your heart with thousands of others who are doing the same as they play the national anthem.

You have to go out of your way to meet people in LA and other parts of socal much of this is because of the geography and development of the place (naturally sprawling). Besides that you have lots of young people who are influenced by the Hollywood vibe. I couldn't believe how rude and fake they are there. I remember when I first got there and went to clubs in Hollywood. The bouncers stand out front and pick only the best looking people to let in (this is indisputable I have seen it with my own eyes). I am 6'5 and 210lbs in good shape (not bragging--must through that in). I always got in to the clubs. I remember going one time with friends that weren't considered to be the best looking and the bouncers not letting them in but allowing me, so we left. That happens at every club in Hollywood and LA is built on the entertainment industry.

I never experienced that in any other city I have been too, it just doesn't exist. Thats why people are so obsessed with plastic surgery there, because so much of your success is based on looks ie: (the hollywood analogy above). You just can't deny it, yes there are good people there, but ask yourself how many good people like to deal with that kind of discrimination. Do good people purposely move to Vegas (no, very few)? And yes the air is okay in some places of LA sometimes, mainly the ones that are close to the ocean.

California: Last in the nation for education (in the news just the other day). I'm sure that will cause the family oriented good people of the world to flock here in droves?

I wonder why its last? I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that that only validates many of my claims. Could it be the lack of emphasis on education and on superficial things. How could California be the richest economy but have the poorest education system (priorities maybe)?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:05 PM

202 posts, read 817,639 times
Default Breakthrough Scientific Discovery

*After arduous calculations and many years of pure dedication, my colleagues and I have made a breakthrough mathematical discovery.

*This equation describes the relationship between the behavior of Southern Californians and their environment:

Socal behavior =

fake
hollywood

or

Sb =

f
h

Conversely (Socal behavior X fake) = hollywood

Conversely (Socal behavior X hollywood) = fake

we derive (Sb) by adding:

(hollywood + U.S. citizens + mid westerners) = Socal behavior (Sb)

* Once we have (Sb) and one of the other factors we can always derive the other.

*This amazingly simple yet eloquent equation was derived through years of scientific hypothesizes, observation and physical experimentation.

*This breakthrough discovery has been compared to Einsteins (E= Mc2) equation and it has been nominated by many for the Nobel Prize Award in the category of "Overall Great Discoveries".

*My colleagues and I remain humble despite having our work publicized around the world in many highly renowned scientific publications.

*It is our goal to continue to enlighten the general public and solve the major mysteries of the universe.

Last edited by Nick682; 03-02-2008 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 08:41 PM

920 posts, read 2,596,053 times
[quote=Nick682;2994303]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
California: Last in the nation for education (in the news just the other day).
They used to be some of the nation's best, but Prop 13 was the beginning of the downslide.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 PM

36 posts, read 105,420 times
Some out of state Southern Californians give me the willies

especially the loose fitting white ones who go to states like Idaho and Utah

One Southern California guy who I was roommates with said to me I came here trying to get away from the "density" (I wish to humble you)

But ask me on a semi casual basis

Why are you here?

Then he got his native state friend to ask me the same question?

Why are you here?

It seems like those earthquakes really do start in the mind first.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles