U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 PM

202 posts, read 817,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did he end up trying to sue you?
Sorry Dude, didn't mean to sound like a " ", maybe it was a legitimate

question? The thought never crossed my mind though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM

98 posts, read 302,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
That is an undeniable example of the self centered attitudes of many Southern Californians. Terrible that they would not stop to see if you were okay. It is part of being human to help out in those situations.

It is situations like those that are telling of someones character. Not random day to day meetings where people act happy to your face.

Similar to something like:

"If your friend were to run away instead of fighting by your side if you were being mugged by a group of guys"!

"Very telling of their character". Insensitivity towards someone in dire of help is a true sign of lack of character and integrity!

Hope you are okay...sorry to hear about that, I would have stopped, I have many times, thats what makes me different from most Southern Californians.

I remember one time a guy in front of me had a seizure and he ran across the street, took out a tree. He lodged himself up on the embankment and had his foot on the gas. His tire exploded and his rim took out a water main. His wheels were spinning and his car was rocking because he was still in seizure. I stopped and picked up a rock trying to break his window so I could shut the car off. I was unable to break the window and bloodied and cut my hands trying. But I never thought twice about it, just a natural reaction to help my fellow man.

Other people just stood there in disbelief never thought twice to try and help. The cops finally came and broke the window.

But thats the kind of person I am, don't meet many others like that around here.
Maybe some people just don't like to fight. It doesn't mean that they don't care about what is happening to their friend. Just because someone makes a decision to preserve themselves doesn't mean they do not care about others.

Southern Californias make decisions to preserve themselves. They do care. They just don't act on it if it doesn't preserve themselves.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerblaine View Post
Maybe some people just don't like to fight. It doesn't mean that they don't care about what is happening to their friend. Just because someone makes a decision to preserve themselves doesn't mean they do not care about others.

Southern Californias make decisions to preserve themselves. They do care. They just don't act on it if it doesn't preserve themselves.

Thats true Southern Californians are definitely into "Self Preservation" !

Or "Self Anything" for that matter! Guess I don't like preserving my self when It comes to saving others life's? But I could understand how some just wouldn't want to mess up their hair or get their

hands dirty!

Hah, you should let your friends know that if they were to get mugged or jumped, that you would be outa there! Self preservation BABY!

I could never watch a friend get beat up by muggers or any group, let alone run away claiming "Self Preservation"! What a Hoax!

You make it too easy, you justify everything I have said about Socal with your two sentences......."Self Preservation"......Code word for "Self Centered, Self Serving, Selfish" not helping a friend who's

being beaten up by thugs, "ridiculous", glad we aren't friends?

Last edited by Nick682; 03-03-2008 at 10:04 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 PM

Default :-)

Quote:
Thats true Southern Californians are definitely into "Self Preservation" !

Or "Self Anything" for that matter!
It is nice to agree!! HI5

Old 03-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerblaine View Post
It is nice to agree!! HI5
Yep,

Thank You, for at least being honest.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Yep,

Thank You, for at least being honest.
yep honesty counts for alot. Sometimes it can make up for the self-preservation.

When you hear the truth. It kinda makes you pause. Then it sets you free :-)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:43 PM

110 posts, read 354,840 times
[quote=ffknight918;3021600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon View Post

Where are you from in WI? Sounds kind of sterotypical. I'm guessing you are from a rural area. I grew up in Milwaukee. It's far from the hick towns you described. Chicago is also far from that.

LA is definitely different though. I think people in LA are actually in better moods than here in WI. I don't blame them either because of the weather. However, I've noticed that those up north or in other rural areas like snow and the cold a lot more than Milwaukee residents.
Yes, it's small town Wisconsin, but almost all of Wisconsin is small town/rural. And Milwaukee is hardly a cosmopolitan city.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 PM

Default Wow

Never makes up for the Self Preservation.

But at least it's honesty!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 PM

57,813 posts, read 76,763,748 times
as i fly from here to memphis at each transfer the kids get more polite and they
give me more body space. at departure they are stepping on me and running into
me and no apology.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM

396 posts, read 1,599,161 times
i have noticed that cashiers here aren't as friend as they are in texas.

i used to be a cashier at wal-mart and absolutely hated it, couldn't stand the company or the work (but i needed money), but i always told the customer thanks. here, they dont usually say anything. there's even this dude at target in burbank, he never says anything to me when i check out. so now i say hi and thanks to him every time, someday he will say something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles