U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 818,531 times

Advertisements

[quote=nickdahammer;3022044]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post

Prop. 13 took away funding for parks, libraries and schools, among other things. I'm sure there's a lovely Howard Jarvis Tribute Site that proudly touts Prop. 13's 'successes.' I was there/here- I remember watching the rapid decline from Golden State to national punchline.

Then Florida 2000 came along and we got a little break.
50% of the state's budget alone is for education. Have you seen who's taken over CA schools?

I'd hardly blame people who pay property tax for decreases in funding for parks, etc.

BTW, may I ask how much you pay a year in property taxes, and how much property you own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
Default Property

[quote=Prince of Lombards;3023941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post

50% of the state's budget alone is for education. Have you seen who's taken over CA schools?

I'd hardly blame people who pay property tax for decreases in funding for parks, etc.

BTW, may I ask how much you pay a year in property taxes, and how much property you own?
Prince: I own a home and pay approx $1200, if I am reading my bill correctly.

And I don't blame property owners for funding problems. I just bemoan the loss of so much revenue where (I believe) it was needed the most. You get what you pay for (or don't pay for).

Old 07-13-2008, 04:55 AM

12 posts, read 60,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs333 View Post
this might have been mentioned, but people in so cal love driving slow in the fast lane and NEVER, EVER move over for a faster car behind them. while on the east coast, cars are more likely to move over if you are coming up behind them at a faster rate (not always but at least sometimes)
This is very true. When I first moved to LA from NYC, I used to get extremely annoyed and pissed off by it. Now, 3 years later, I've become much more relaxed about it.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:44 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,494,559 times
Quote:
mgs333
this might have been mentioned, but people in so cal love driving slow in the fast lane and NEVER, EVER move over for a faster car behind them. while on the east coast, cars are more likely to move over if you are coming up behind them at a faster rate (not always but at least sometimes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson802 View Post
This is very true. When I first moved to LA from NYC, I used to get extremely annoyed and pissed off by it. Now, 3 years later, I've become much more relaxed about it.
Yes, this used to drive me mad but doesn't anymore b/c my experience is that it isn’t common\ daily. There certainly are noticeable problems when:

a] On the 110\ Harbor Fw south of downtown an upper deck is for commuters [2 or more]. Two wide open lanes & the drivers are snails [only going 40MPH!
b] Again the 110\ Pasadena Fw at the tunnels. Traffic backs up in left lanes for drivers exit to the 5\ Golden State Fw. Some people slow down in the middle lane in order to sneak into the single left at the last moment [greatly slowing everyone else]. Everyone knows some drivers are impatient & rude, but I drive less & don't seem bothered as much.

This is not a racist statement but just an observation [I do not mean bias to anyone]. Some Asian drivers, it appears, are, in-general, slow drivers & less confident on the road. The flow of traffic impeded by a slow driver is a traffic violation & a ticket from the CHP

Old 07-14-2008, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 67,100 times
Wink SoCal has the hottest chicks on the planet

That might not be behavior, but this fact certainly drives our behavior.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,968 times
I have lived in Seattle, Virginia,charlotte,and for the last five years so Calif. The weather is awesome and people are Sharp fast paced but it depends on location. Beaches you see flip flops beach crusers, Hollywood is gross the youth is lazy with no morals or care for remorse pretty much everywhere in socal . It's great for fast pace business compared to charlotte with great people mild winter and slowwww people .

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,968 times
I mEan not in a hurry . I'm moving b!acknowledgments soon to raise kids in proper environment

Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedOfficeSpaceASAP View Post
I mEan not in a hurry . I'm moving b!acknowledgments soon to raise kids in proper environment
You may be watching too much television.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 PM

297 posts, read 453,662 times
Question for those familiar with the Southern California area: How does the lifestyle & behavior in Palmdale & Lancaster compare with the lifestyle & behavior of LA? I know they are both in the same county but is there a big disparity between the cities?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,260 times
This thread is back in business.

Having been across the US. There's definitely major cultural differences between So Cal and the rest of US.

The dress code(or lack thereof) is more liberal. There are some trendy fashions in LA that wouldn't fly in most parts of the country. A lot of it would be seen as gay in more conservative areas. Bright/Flashy colors, Tattoos, Bikini tops, etc

People tend to be more health conscious/outdoors minded. There's a lower percentage of overweight people in So Cal in comparison to the rest of the US. Oraganic/Vegetarian diets are common here.

The diversity. In some parts of So Cal. I've hardley heard English being spoken. And there are signs of foriegn languages throughout the area. There's less of that American feeling here. Only NYC matches In that aspect.

There's definitely a lack of community. Due to so many people being from completely different places.

And the weather. Which sunny 80% of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles