U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 AM

392 posts, read 1,731,192 times

Advertisements

I consider it just the opposite of Utopia. I hate the indifference here. My friends from the Midwest constantly bag on me for having lost my edge and becoming weak since I am more likely to let things slide than react these days. It is so easy to live here and just become uninvolved in anything but your own little world.
On that line I also find people here uninterested in helping anyone else. Get a flat or have your car breakdown and people look the other way. I'd never seen such behavior.
The other day I was standing at a corner when a guy's car quit on him. He was attempting to get it through traffic and into a gas station, as seems typical no one went to help him. I jumped into the street and began to help him push. I think seeing that a middle aged woman was willing to help goaded some of the men standing about into acting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
The other day I was standing at a corner when a guy's car quit on him. He was attempting to get it through traffic and into a gas station, as seems typical no one went to help him. I jumped into the street and began to help him push. I think seeing that a middle aged woman was willing to help goaded some of the men standing about into acting.
Haha, awesome. Keep showing them how it's done.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,233,499 times
People often ask me here if I am experiencing culture shock living in Alabama, coming from Southern California. I can honestly say no. Part of that is I live in Huntsville, a pretty progressive, diverse city in its own right. Smoking is even prohibited in the city in any establishment that permits customers under 19 (which means, just about everywhere.)

Lots of transplants here, and the only cultural differences I notice are the good differences that the transplants seem eager and willing to embrace; Southern hospitality, good manners, involvement in churches and the community, etc, that I would not see in California. I know more of my neighbors here in Alabama in a house I havn't even moved into yet, than I did in the neighborhood of a house I lived in for years in California.

I'm comfy here.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:23 PM

240 posts, read 1,346,616 times
It has been well over thirty years since I moved here, but I still remember some of the major culture shocks that I encountered. Here are a few:

1. When it rains here, the television news people seem to go absolutely crazy, as though the heavens have opened and a miracle is about to occur. I remember attending a Community College and receiving an "A" in a class that I did not deserve because I attended class in the rain, whereas, the native Californians did not. Good grief people, it is only rain. Anywhere else in the country the rain showers that we receive here would go completely unnoticed except for a brief warning that rain might be on the way. Also, quite a few people here do not know how to drive or apply their brakes in the rain.

2. Holidays are not the same here. Here, people go out to the movies, go out to eat, etc. on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Where I grew up in PA, almost everything completely shut down for these holidays. You rarely saw vehicles on any of the roads near dinner time. Almost everyone was with their family and very few businesses were even open, except the churches and local bars.

3. Diversity of high and low income and all cultures mixed together in the same, small local area with large populations not speaking English. In PA, the high-income neighborhoods are usually far removed from the low-income neighborhoods and cultures tend to band together in the same small local area, so you have Little Italy, Polish town, German town, etc. Here everyone is all mixed together in close proximity and a lot of people do not speak English. Years ago I was lost in a scary neighborhood in my car and no one could help me because they all spoke Spanish and I didn't.

4. Parking lots on freeways. I never saw traffic at a standstill on a freeway until I moved here.

5. Cha-ching, every time you walk out your door here, you almost always have to have cash on you for services that are usually free in most other places. One example is parking your car. Here they try to charge you to park your car in your own apartment building, to park on the side street, to go shopping, to go to the beach, etc. Most other places, they only have parking meters down town.

6. No heavy winter coats needed for winter. Yeah! I used to own gloves, a warm coat, scarfs, have an ice scraper for the car, etc. Thankfully, I don' t need to use any of those items here. But, as I plan my escape, I might need to invest in a few of these items again.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,233,499 times
Quote:
2. Holidays are not the same here.
Oh no kidding. I mean, I'm Jewish so Christmas and Easter were never a big deal in our home (though we did some secular stuff, my dad wasn't Jewish). But the thing is, growing up in California - until I was well into my teenage years, I had NO IDEA that Christmas and Easter were MAJOR RELIGIOUS HOLIDAYS! No idea at all! I seriously thought they were on the same tier as Halloween. Honest! Especially Easter. I think I was in college before I realized Easter was religious and not just some sort of leftover spring pagan thing? I always wondered what people were talking about with "Easter Ham" on shows/commercials and such. I did not know anyone that had a special dinner for Easter? I mean it was just eggs and chocolate bunnies to me.

Here in Alabama, they bring out police to direct traffic on a typical Sunday morning. I saw the most beautiful nativity scene with live people on the first Sunday of Advent. People really go all out.

Even though I'm not Christian, I am religious and I really enjoy seeing so many more people in the community working to make meaningful experiences out of holidays and worship.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
It's been my experience nice people and jerks are everywhere.

Can you top this?

About 15 years ago my girlfriend and I were on my Harley on Soledad Canyon Road out past Canyon Country. I lived in Moorpark at the time. Beautiful day.

All of a sudden..vooommmmmmaaaaah... the engine dies.

Moorpark is about 40 miles away.

I walk the bike to the side of the road and in those days I didn't have a cell phone. What the hell was I going to do?

About ten minutes later some guy in his early fifties sees us and pulls over and asks if we have a problem. I explained what happened. I tell him where I live. He tells us he'll be right back. Fifteen minutes later he drives up with a flatbed trailer. We load the bike on to the trailer and he takes us all the way back to Moorpark. Wouldn't accept any money. He simply tells me that I can help him out someday if he ever breaks down on the side of the road.

Imagine that.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM

723 posts, read 2,806,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These are two completely different inquiries:

1) How non Southern Californians' behavior differs from Southern Californians' behavior, and

2) How non Southern Californians experience culture shock from moving to Southern California.

1. None. I can't see any difference between people in this country, let alone states. The social dynamic here is potentially more amplified (more extreme), but people are people.

2. I would say the biggest culture shock for people is when they find their lives not turning out as expected in "the industry" and they turn into bitter, sad, little individuals who run back to where they came from when they realize they couldn't fend off the army of youth and money that swamps this city.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:42 PM

251 posts, read 1,212,613 times
Let's see....seeing as I am relatively new to SoCal (from the East Coast-PA), these are things I have noticed/had to adjust to:

I have never in my life come across so many people without any visible means of support that were totally NOT worried about this fact.....a live for today mentality.

It is definitely more laid back....way more.....luckily for me I adjusted in PA from NYC before coming here...and even then it was surprising.

BUT....what I don't get is why everyone is so laid back UNTIL they get in their vehicle....then they are like New Yorkers with wheels :-)

Not being in the mood is a legitimate excuse for not doing something.

I can't believe how open everyone is with smoking weed....especially the youngsters.

Everyone so far has been very nice, but I am shocked at how rude people are on public transportation.....like not giving up seats for the elderly, handicapped, etc. I think I 'give somebody the business' at least twice a week.

I have noticed people here really don't like negativity. It is hard to be in a bad mood....I suppose with the nice weather and blue skies there is no room for darkness...aaack!

I am going back for Christmas....so it will be interesting to see if I have absorbed any of SoCal. Like someone else said, I feel like I have lost my edge....like I have to try to be a b****, when before it was a wonderful part of my personality and came spewing forth effortlessly :-)

Old 12-15-2007, 01:53 AM

61 posts, read 240,016 times
i get pretty shell shocked when i go to other parts of the US. people definitely seem a bit more conservative than i am used to. i'm pierced and tattooed so i get stared at like i'm bigfoot walking through the mall, whereas here in LA no one bats an eyelash.

in new york i'm always amazed by how people cross the street against the light, honk for no apparent reason (yes angelenos HATE honking horns.. i have no idea why but i do too.) i also got a pickle thrown at me in katz' deli because i didn't know what i wanted and i said no mustard on my pastrami. he passed me up all the way to the end of the line and then i still got mustard on my pastrami.

i'll also never comprehend the concept of double and triple parking. if that was LA your sh*t would be towed so fast it would make your head spin.

the weather in other parts of the US seems to suck for the most part. it's either too cold or too humid. i don't see how some states survive without beaches.

i was really shocked at how crappy DC looked. i really wasn't expecting to witness drug deals going down with the capitol building in the background.. that was a nice mind ****.

maryland and indiana were pretty segregated i noticed. that was sort of weird for me because i don't experience segregation where i live. like black people only went to cashiers that were black and ditto for whites. that was rather weird to me.

i was surprised how SUPER (bordering on creepy) friendly people were to us in minnesota when our car broke down. a farmer towed us for free and offered us use of his car and to stay with them until our car was repaired. that was a little *too* nice for me so i declined.. but it was a nice gesture.

i think southern californians are just as shell shocked when we travel outside of CA. in many instances other states REALLY make me appreciate what i've grown up being accustomed to in living in CA.

oh.. and people in ny & boston walk/talk too fast.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,180 times
I Just Moved To North Carolina After Living In La For 50 Yrs, Its As Different As Night And Day. People In La Are Rude, Could Care Less About Who You Are,
What Your Doing, And Everyone Is Watching Their Backs, Because You Never Know What Can Happen At Any Moment. The People Here Are So Polite And Helpful. At Any Store, Gas Station, Resturant, Or Any Where You Go, Your Greeted With A Hello, How Are You, And Have A Great Day. Everywhere You Go People Will Wave Hello To You. In La If Someone You Didnt Know Was To Wave At You, You Duck, In Case They Shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles