U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Los Feliz/Hollywood Hills
61 posts, read 240,016 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post

I believe people would rather kill someone then wait at a red light a few minutes longer or slow down on the freeway when it is wide open.
>>gasp<<

why on EARTH would i want to slow down when there is wide open space on the freeway?? that's sacrilege! when you see wide open space on the freeway, that's your cue to punch it! you don't have to like hop/leap from lane to lane (although that can be fun) but you don't have to drive like you have NO where to go either. it's all about happy medium. driving in LA is a lot like chess, you have to drive defensively most of the time, but there are times for offensive driving.

i advise all slower or sunday driving traffic to please stay to the far right lanes and leave the #1 & #2 lanes to native angelenos and new yorkers. also, bear in mind that the carpool lane is the fastest fast lane, don't get in the carpool doing 65. yes, we all know that's the speed limit, but 65 in the carpool (or fast lane) is a mortal sin. if you see someone coming up behind you too fast, then move over (unless you're going at least 90 already.. then they just need to go around.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post

Horrendous and disrespectful drivers with mass Meth addiction attitudes even when stone sober. Although I know a lot of people like that way of driving that live or moved here.
we have places to be! no time for popping in some tunes and just chilling while there is wide open space on the horizon. naaah, we have auditions to get to, call times, one kid to pick up from soccer practice in the valley and another child halfway across the city to pick up from piano practice in palos verdes. time is money and if someone is lallygagging, then that just throws off the whole balance. it's sorta like one of those visa debit card commercials. where everyone is dancing and shopping and swiping their visa debits to pay (yes and obnoxious commercial.. i know, but very apropos in this instance..).. and then ONE person decides to pay cash, next.. everything comes to a halt.

LA driving is the same. it only takes a few rubber neckers stopping to stare at an accident or tow truck or driving slowly instead of moving over to EFF it up for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post

I do not find this sort of driving in the least bit appealing or relaxing. If the freeway is wide open why not chill and put in some great tunes or whatever and enjoy the drive? Why power gas it and swerve all over the place just to do it and then race some other whack job and almost knock off the oldies and scaried little drivers in the right lane that are freaking out already?
who said driving in an overcrowded, sprawled, freeway dependent, and busy metropolis would be easy or relaxing? GOAL:.. your mission should you choose to accept it- to get from point A to point B with the least amount of resistance. the goal isn't to sunday drive just because you see a little space that reminds you of home. chop chop.

i really do try to be a courteous driver. i will let people merge..as long as it's their proper turn. i hate when people try to get in when it's not their place to go. that will ingite the "speed-up-bumper-to-bumper-with-the-person-in front-of-me-so-the-lane-cutter-can't-get-in" sorta mentality. i'm not glorifying it. it just is what it is. i always let people over if i see their signal, and i am extra patient with people that have out of state plates on.

i suggest all people who transplant themselves into CA leave their home state plates on as long as possible, most of us tend to just chalk the cautious driving up to out of state ignorance and will cut you some slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post

So this one cultural shock was paramount. I have adjusted I believe to everything but this.
whatever you do, don't go to driving school..lol. we tend to screw with them on purpose.

i can only imagine what the driving instructors are telling them.

also, i'm not raggin on you in particular.. but now i understand a bit more into the psyche of people that have wide open spaces and still go the speed limit. i'm not downing you.. i'm just telling you what the person behind you REALLY is thinking.

if we had a tank. we'd drive over people that go slowly in the fast lane (or damn near any lane).. when you have wide open spaces.

once again, i hope you don't feel offended..just bein honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2007, 10:49 AM
 
26 posts, read 60,284 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Yeah, "Don't mess with Cali" and a big picture of Arnold pointing at the camera with his suit on, but also his face paint from Commando!! That would soooo rock!!!!
OK!! Maybe we shouldn't push that EXACT concept!

Wow - I hadn't laughed aloud like that in a long time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 PM
 
15 posts, read 58,547 times
Reputation: 18
These posts cracked me up. I'm originally from Florida but I lived in New York City for 10 years, then LA for a year and a half and now on Long Island. LA is definitely my favorite. People are SUPER laid back, which I find refreshing. It's perfectly acceptable to be 15 minutes late to anything. I think my friends thought I was annoyingly on time when I lived in LA. Everything happens outdoors, everyone is healthy and in great physical shape (but a lot of fake boobs). I find that people are much more courteous drivers in LA than in NY or FL. People are never in a bad mood. There's always something to do and it's not as expensive as NY. LA is spectacular, I really wish I hadn't moved back to NY and I can't wait to move back to LA again!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 AM
 
202 posts, read 817,639 times
Reputation: 107
Default So Cal Vs. Rest of Nation Reply

I have read most of what everyone has said about this post (so cal behavior vs rest of the nation). Let me start by saying that you can generalize to a certain extent, (to all those people who said you can't) stereotypes are around for a reason. Now I think it's important to not judge a book by it's cover but it doesn't mean that generalities regarding specific populations don't exist in America. I moved here when I was four years old and I never felt really comfortable, I was from Oregon and I have memories of the streams and rivers and woods as a kid. One of my first memories on the playground at school here was when a bunch of kids crushed to death a lizard that was running across the pavement. I will never forget that, because I had never seen such blatant disregard and insensitivity towards life. But then again San Diego has the highest extinction rate of local species in the nation (wonder why). I have seen massive beautiful canyons and wildlife areas plowed over and track homes built, the once beautiful and pristine beaches are now littered with trash and polluted with runoff, can't go surfing after the rain or you'll get a funky infection, this place is becoming LA. All the open spaces are slowly disappearing before my eyes. This place used to be a bch town before everyone and their brother decided to move here. Growing up here, I forgot about my early memories and came to accept this place as my home, but as I said I never felt very happy. Kids were always mean in school and I never had a girlfriend all throughout high school. In fact, I have never had a successful relationship here in California period (only casual flings). When I was twenty I joined the Coast Guard and traveled allot, my first station was Seattle WA, and I thought I would hate it. Being from So Cal, I had this attitude like all other places sucked and California was where it was at, especially Socal. When I got to Seattle I pranced around in my cool Socal clothes and acted like I was the " " but something happened. I immediately started to realize that no one cared and no one really thought I was cool. People were friendly and they made conversation and they didn't judge me nearly as much. They seemed smarter less materialistic and much more genuine. For the next two years of my life I soaked it up because it was what I had been missing my whole life. I had many girls take interest in me and I met and had a 2yr relationship with a great girl (best memories of my life). I am now 29 yrs old, I moved back to California when I was 23 still in the coast guard I got stationed in LA, I was trying for San Diego (my hometown). I came back because I didn't really realize the difference at the time and I was trying to be closer to family after being away for two years. During my stay in Seattle I sailed around the world and the countries I visited were to numerous to list. I have also traveled extensively throughout the US, so I have a good picture of how it is in other places. I have never experienced a more self involved, materialistic, shallow, egotistical, insensitive, disregarding, convoluted and non-caring scene, as I have here in Socal. It's as if no one cares about anyone out here. What they do care about is trying to impress each other with their fancy cars and their designer sunglasses w/ gaudy silver and gold logos plastered on the sides. Californian's experience each other through two windows, your car window and theirs. They are seriously inconsiderate on the roads driving to fast and cutting you off, never use a blinker etc. It's sad, because the place where you will see the most people is the place where you will be treated like an obstacle. When I first got back I immediately noticed how rude people were here compared to Seattle, but I had no choice to stay I was stationed in LA for two years. After that I moved to SD to see if it would be different, and it was a little better, but not much. Even though my family is here I am not staying I have some schooling to finish and I am out of here. This place is way to expensive, you pay more for everything. The air quality ranks among the worst in the nation. Studies show that those particles make it to your brain, and I notice it when it's bad, it makes you feel really irritable (maybe thats why people drive like dicks). It's just not worth it, people here are not living, they are frantically going through the motions of
life thats it. Not everyone here is bad, there are some really great people, I have good friends from my childhood. Occasionally I meet someone nice, the biggest thing I can't stand is how casual people are about relationships, and all the stupid childish games they play. It seems like no one is really genuine. I will never forget how many women asked me where I lived or what kind of job I had before actually getting to know me as a person. I do not judge women solely on looks, so I expect not be judged solely on my monetary value. I own my own business and make plenty of money, but thats not the point, I would like to feel like someone was actually interested in me rather than my wallet. The very structure of Socal is non conducive to meeting people. And I am tired of older women out here dressing and acting like teenagers because they are insecure about getting old because they have based their entire lives on their looks. And the young ones are always trying to use their looks to get ahead. If another one of my customers wives hits on me I think I will throw up. If you don't like your husband why did you marry him. Oh thats right, he had a high level corporate job and a beamer, thats all you needed right. But now since you don't really love him you are going to cheat and lie. That kind of behavior is rampant out here. Everything is a drive, or sitting in traffic or your buying something at the store, those are the only times you run across others. This place is basically soulless, I read all of posts before mine stating, "culture shock" from people who couldn't believe how inconsiderate people were to each other ie: not stopping to help each other on the roadways etc. Believe it, they just want to get around you, they don't care. They have important savvy business meetings and elegant affairs to attend too. Basically there are a few words that sum up the attitude around here, self absorbed, materialistic (material centered lives), shallow (the reason people don't like negativity out here is because they are fake), everyone's life has ups and downs good and bad 50/50, but fake people have no concept of this because they are always pretending to be happy even though they are crying inside. Designer clothes, fancy cars, flashy houses and cool sunglasses don't make you happy in life. Having people around you who value life and are considerate and caring and love you is what makes a person happy and fulfilled. So that's why I am going back to where people actually care about each other and they don't fake it only when they have to because they are face to face......And thats my take? Not trying to be cynical just being honest about my experiences, maybe it will help some one else who hasn't yet figured it out....Oh, another thing, it's only gonna get more and more expensive out here, the drought that is currently threatening our water supply will only get worse and worse with global warming, and so will the crazy wildfires. I would get out now while you still can. Socal is an ecological disaster waiting to happen, but the state will cover up anything bad and so will the the federal gov't because California is to important to the economy (the state of the spenders). They will wait until the very last minute to declare this place a disaster zone. Buy real estate here and in a decade you may be paying 5-10 times the price for desalinized ocean water because the rivers have dried up. And along with already having the nations worst air, you will have the crazy wildfires contaminating your lungs every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 12:55 PM
 
636 posts, read 2,445,305 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
I have read most of what everyone has said about this post (so cal behavior vs rest of the nation). Let me start by saying that you can generalize to a certain extent, (to all those people who said you can't) stereotypes are around for a reason. Now I think it's important to not judge a book by it's cover but it doesn't mean that generalities regarding specific populations don't exist in America. I moved here when I was four years old and I never felt really comfortable, I was from Oregon and I have memories of the streams and rivers and woods as a kid. One of my first memories on the playground at school here was when a bunch of kids crushed to death a lizard that was running across the pavement. I will never forget that, because I had never seen such blatant disregard and insensitivity towards life. But then again San Diego has the highest extinction rate of local species in the nation (wonder why). I have seen massive beautiful canyons and wildlife areas plowed over and track homes built, the once beautiful and pristine beaches are now littered with trash and polluted with runoff, can't go surfing after the rain or you'll get a funky infection, this place is becoming LA. All the open spaces are slowly disappearing before my eyes. This place used to be a bch town before everyone and their brother decided to move here. Growing up here, I forgot about my early memories and came to accept this place as my home, but as I said I never felt very happy. Kids were always mean in school and I never had a girlfriend all throughout high school. In fact, I have never had a successful relationship here in California period (only casual flings). When I was twenty I joined the Coast Guard and traveled allot, my first station was Seattle WA, and I thought I would hate it. Being from So Cal, I had this attitude like all other places sucked and California was where it was at, especially Socal. When I got to Seattle I pranced around in my cool Socal clothes and acted like I was the " " but something happened. I immediately started to realize that no one cared and no one really thought I was cool. People were friendly and they made conversation and they didn't judge me nearly as much. They seemed smarter less materialistic and much more genuine. For the next two years of my life I soaked it up because it was what I had been missing my whole life. I had many girls take interest in me and I met and had a 2yr relationship with a great girl (best memories of my life). I am now 29 yrs old, I moved back to California when I was 23 still in the coast guard I got stationed in LA, I was trying for San Diego (my hometown). I came back because I didn't really realize the difference at the time and I was trying to be closer to family after being away for two years. During my stay in Seattle I sailed around the world and the countries I visited were to numerous to list. I have also traveled extensively throughout the US, so I have a good picture of how it is in other places. I have never experienced a more self involved, materialistic, shallow, egotistical, insensitive, disregarding, convoluted and non-caring scene, as I have here in Socal. It's as if no one cares about anyone out here. What they do care about is trying to impress each other with their fancy cars and their designer sunglasses w/ gaudy silver and gold logos plastered on the sides. Californian's experience each other through two windows, your car window and theirs. They are seriously inconsiderate on the roads driving to fast and cutting you off, never use a blinker etc. It's sad, because the place where you will see the most people is the place where you will be treated like an obstacle. When I first got back I immediately noticed how rude people were here compared to Seattle, but I had no choice to stay I was stationed in LA for two years. After that I moved to SD to see if it would be different, and it was a little better, but not much. Even though my family is here I am not staying I have some schooling to finish and I am out of here. This place is way to expensive, you pay more for everything. The air quality ranks among the worst in the nation. Studies show that those particles make it to your brain, and I notice it when it's bad, it makes you feel really irritable (maybe thats why people drive like dicks). It's just not worth it, people here are not living, they are frantically going through the motions of
life thats it. Not everyone here is bad, there are some really great people, I have good friends from my childhood. Occasionally I meet someone nice, the biggest thing I can't stand is how casual people are about relationships, and all the stupid childish games they play. It seems like no one is really genuine. I will never forget how many women asked me where I lived or what kind of job I had before actually getting to know me as a person. I do not judge women solely on looks, so I expect not be judged solely on my monetary value. I own my own business and make plenty of money, but thats not the point, I would like to feel like someone was actually interested in me rather than my wallet. The very structure of Socal is non conducive to meeting people. And I am tired of older women out here dressing and acting like teenagers because they are insecure about getting old because they have based their entire lives on their looks. And the young ones are always trying to use their looks to get ahead. If another one of my customers wives hits on me I think I will throw up. If you don't like your husband why did you marry him. Oh thats right, he had a high level corporate job and a beamer, thats all you needed right. But now since you don't really love him you are going to cheat and lie. That kind of behavior is rampant out here. Everything is a drive, or sitting in traffic or your buying something at the store, those are the only times you run across others. This place is basically soulless, I read all of posts before mine stating, "culture shock" from people who couldn't believe how inconsiderate people were to each other ie: not stopping to help each other on the roadways etc. Believe it, they just want to get around you, they don't care. They have important savvy business meetings and elegant affairs to attend too. Basically there are a few words that sum up the attitude around here, self absorbed, materialistic (material centered lives), shallow (the reason people don't like negativity out here is because they are fake), everyone's life has ups and downs good and bad 50/50, but fake people have no concept of this because they are always pretending to be happy even though they are crying inside. Designer clothes, fancy cars, flashy houses and cool sunglasses don't make you happy in life. Having people around you who value life and are considerate and caring and love you is what makes a person happy and fulfilled. So that's why I am going back to where people actually care about each other and they don't fake it only when they have to because they are face to face......And thats my take? Not trying to be cynical just being honest about my experiences, maybe it will help some one else who hasn't yet figured it out....Oh, another thing, it's only gonna get more and more expensive out here, the drought that is currently threatening our water supply will only get worse and worse with global warming, and so will the crazy wildfires. I would get out now while you still can. Socal is an ecological disaster waiting to happen, but the state will cover up anything bad and so will the the federal gov't because California is to important to the economy (the state of the spenders). They will wait until the very last minute to declare this place a disaster zone. Buy real estate here and in a decade you may be paying 5-10 times the price for desalinized ocean water because the rivers have dried up. And along with already having the nations worst air, you will have the crazy wildfires contaminating your lungs every year.
1. Paragraphs are easier to read
2. There is a saying "where ever you go, there are you". or something like that. Don't blame every hurt or slight on living in So. California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:35 PM
 
202 posts, read 817,639 times
Reputation: 107
Default Reply to corrections

Okay, I didn't know that I was writing a paper for english class?

Your right paragraphs are easier to read and I didn't write in paragraphs "your point"?

I do not blame all of my bad experiences on so cal, like I said, I have had many great friends here.

You can try to convince yourself that this is a great place to live, thats fine, in fact I would rather that the people who like So Cal stay in So Cal because I don't want them going where I am going.

Is this easier for you to read? Hate to take a pop shot at you, but you did it to me w/ my writing. "LA Lady" so typical of out here, people brand themselves. Like the personalized cheezy license plates that have one liners on them, If I wanna know how much you make or what you do I'll ask. Otherwise lets not cheapen society w/ phony one liners that belong on license plates.

If it sounded like I was blaming all of my woes on So Cal then I came across in the wrong way, I was just blowing off steam about how bad it can be out here. I do not blame anyone for my life and I am happy, I was replying to all of those who had comments on So Cal being self centered etc...

Looking at other post about behavior in So Cal there are many who echo my sentiments exactly. I am not a hater, but there's a difference between hating and saying it like it is...and thats what I'm doing, like I said I have traveled the world and the nation so I have a good idea how it is everywhere.

Take care of yourself "LA Lady" hope all you dreams are fulfilled in wonderful Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 03:08 PM
 
1,210 posts, read 1,155,854 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
I have read most of what everyone has said about this post (so cal behavior vs rest of the nation). Let me start by saying that you can generalize to a certain extent, (to all those people who said you can't) stereotypes are around for a reason. Now I think it's important to not judge a book by it's cover but it doesn't mean that generalities regarding specific populations don't exist in America. I moved here when I was four years old and I never felt really comfortable, I was from Oregon and I have memories of the streams and rivers and woods as a kid. One of my first memories on the playground at school here was when a bunch of kids crushed to death a lizard that was running across the pavement. I will never forget that, because I had never seen such blatant disregard and insensitivity towards life. But then again San Diego has the highest extinction rate of local species in the nation (wonder why). I have seen massive beautiful canyons and wildlife areas plowed over and track homes built, the once beautiful and pristine beaches are now littered with trash and polluted with runoff, can't go surfing after the rain or you'll get a funky infection, this place is becoming LA. All the open spaces are slowly disappearing before my eyes. This place used to be a bch town before everyone and their brother decided to move here. Growing up here, I forgot about my early memories and came to accept this place as my home, but as I said I never felt very happy. Kids were always mean in school and I never had a girlfriend all throughout high school. In fact, I have never had a successful relationship here in California period (only casual flings). When I was twenty I joined the Coast Guard and traveled allot, my first station was Seattle WA, and I thought I would hate it. Being from So Cal, I had this attitude like all other places sucked and California was where it was at, especially Socal. When I got to Seattle I pranced around in my cool Socal clothes and acted like I was the " " but something happened. I immediately started to realize that no one cared and no one really thought I was cool. People were friendly and they made conversation and they didn't judge me nearly as much. They seemed smarter less materialistic and much more genuine. For the next two years of my life I soaked it up because it was what I had been missing my whole life. I had many girls take interest in me and I met and had a 2yr relationship with a great girl (best memories of my life). I am now 29 yrs old, I moved back to California when I was 23 still in the coast guard I got stationed in LA, I was trying for San Diego (my hometown). I came back because I didn't really realize the difference at the time and I was trying to be closer to family after being away for two years. During my stay in Seattle I sailed around the world and the countries I visited were to numerous to list. I have also traveled extensively throughout the US, so I have a good picture of how it is in other places. I have never experienced a more self involved, materialistic, shallow, egotistical, insensitive, disregarding, convoluted and non-caring scene, as I have here in Socal. It's as if no one cares about anyone out here. What they do care about is trying to impress each other with their fancy cars and their designer sunglasses w/ gaudy silver and gold logos plastered on the sides. Californian's experience each other through two windows, your car window and theirs. They are seriously inconsiderate on the roads driving to fast and cutting you off, never use a blinker etc. It's sad, because the place where you will see the most people is the place where you will be treated like an obstacle. When I first got back I immediately noticed how rude people were here compared to Seattle, but I had no choice to stay I was stationed in LA for two years. After that I moved to SD to see if it would be different, and it was a little better, but not much. Even though my family is here I am not staying I have some schooling to finish and I am out of here. This place is way to expensive, you pay more for everything. The air quality ranks among the worst in the nation. Studies show that those particles make it to your brain, and I notice it when it's bad, it makes you feel really irritable (maybe thats why people drive like dicks). It's just not worth it, people here are not living, they are frantically going through the motions of
life thats it. Not everyone here is bad, there are some really great people, I have good friends from my childhood. Occasionally I meet someone nice, the biggest thing I can't stand is how casual people are about relationships, and all the stupid childish games they play. It seems like no one is really genuine. I will never forget how many women asked me where I lived or what kind of job I had before actually getting to know me as a person. I do not judge women solely on looks, so I expect not be judged solely on my monetary value. I own my own business and make plenty of money, but thats not the point, I would like to feel like someone was actually interested in me rather than my wallet. The very structure of Socal is non conducive to meeting people. And I am tired of older women out here dressing and acting like teenagers because they are insecure about getting old because they have based their entire lives on their looks. And the young ones are always trying to use their looks to get ahead. If another one of my customers wives hits on me I think I will throw up. If you don't like your husband why did you marry him. Oh thats right, he had a high level corporate job and a beamer, thats all you needed right. But now since you don't really love him you are going to cheat and lie. That kind of behavior is rampant out here. Everything is a drive, or sitting in traffic or your buying something at the store, those are the only times you run across others. This place is basically soulless, I read all of posts before mine stating, "culture shock" from people who couldn't believe how inconsiderate people were to each other ie: not stopping to help each other on the roadways etc. Believe it, they just want to get around you, they don't care. They have important savvy business meetings and elegant affairs to attend too. Basically there are a few words that sum up the attitude around here, self absorbed, materialistic (material centered lives), shallow (the reason people don't like negativity out here is because they are fake), everyone's life has ups and downs good and bad 50/50, but fake people have no concept of this because they are always pretending to be happy even though they are crying inside. Designer clothes, fancy cars, flashy houses and cool sunglasses don't make you happy in life. Having people around you who value life and are considerate and caring and love you is what makes a person happy and fulfilled. So that's why I am going back to where people actually care about each other and they don't fake it only when they have to because they are face to face......And thats my take? Not trying to be cynical just being honest about my experiences, maybe it will help some one else who hasn't yet figured it out....Oh, another thing, it's only gonna get more and more expensive out here, the drought that is currently threatening our water supply will only get worse and worse with global warming, and so will the crazy wildfires. I would get out now while you still can. Socal is an ecological disaster waiting to happen, but the state will cover up anything bad and so will the the federal gov't because California is to important to the economy (the state of the spenders). They will wait until the very last minute to declare this place a disaster zone. Buy real estate here and in a decade you may be paying 5-10 times the price for desalinized ocean water because the rivers have dried up. And along with already having the nations worst air, you will have the crazy wildfires contaminating your lungs every year.
The best thing we ever did was move out of SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 03:37 PM
 
202 posts, read 817,639 times
Reputation: 107
Default Moving From So Cal

Thanks for the encouragement, I know when I leave, I will never look back. I think that says allot because I was raised here, so you would think there would be some loyalty on my part, but no! I am finishing out school here so I can't go yet, but I can't wait to leave. I don't have unrealistic expectations for where I end up. I just want to be somewhere where people don't place such a high emphasis on status and material wealth and looks the list goes on...

Life is short, you must surround yourself with people who "get it" I mean they understand that it's not material things and appearance that matters. The people that value those things have allot of pain inside due to the lack of real love in their life. Thats why they have come to place such a high emphasis on material items and wealth and a glamorous appearance.

It is the way that they attract attention because they require the extra attention because they have a hole inside that cannot be filled. It's sad because no amount of material items, money and status can fill their void, but it's all they have.

Sometimes I find myself upset about all the shallowness out here but the reality is that I should feel sympathy for these people. The truth is that they are just lonely in life and they are lost, they are caught up in a imaginary facade that can easily be ripped away and once it is, it exposes the sad lonely, scared person underneath.

By the way....my props to FunkyMunky on the last thread. People will call you a hater...say you hate it because you don't make enough money etc..

What they are really doing is exposing their shallow nature to you. If you reverse that comment (flip it around). What they are saying: is that they are happy and like this town because they make plenty of money and thats all.

I give you props for expressing your true opinion and speaking from the heart....I couldn't agree with everything you said, more! You sound like a nice guy who is just looking to be around decent considerate people. I feel the same way. If I don't find it in my next town I will keep moving. If I don't find it in the US I will leave the US. Life is to short to put such an emphasis on materialism.....and I like clean air!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
I have read most of what everyone has said about this post (so cal behavior vs rest of the nation).
I wish phony, pretentious, materialistic people were the worst thing to worry about.

But they aren't. All of us are a little fake once in a while, right?

In fact, I think those types of people are everywhere and I've experience them in Buffalo, NY and Huntsville, AL. And there are cool people everywhere too. (I'm cool.)

I doubt 50 people have moved out of Los Angeles or SoCal primarily for those reasons. What we've read from those who have left are reasons such as 1) Home Affordability, Business climate for business owners (California government, taxes, regulations...), traffic, and probably public education. There's a couple others I'm sure.

Couple other things; Just because someone asks "So, what do you do?", it doesn't mean they are phoney balonies. I think it is a pretty common question in new environment semi-social situations. I think that is the most common question the lady asks me when I'm getting a hair cut, for example.

When I was 23, I'd tell chicks I was a drummer or something - something with "feelings" - it paid off. You tell a 23 year old chick you are an engineer and they start yawning. (What do engineers use for birth control? Their personalities. When does someone realize they should become an engineer? When they realize they don't have enough charisma to become an undertaker.) See what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara
627 posts, read 2,828,413 times
Reputation: 411
I had a great laugh reading this as I may have my point of view regarding chillin' in the traffic, but I married a man with the same exact point of view as you! lol. I guess it is true opposite do attract and for a reason.

It is actually really helpful to read your experience though and what it is like from your perspective. I will remember this next time I am whanking (spelling?) on the freeway.

I got a visual on that tank and it cracked me up . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosFeliz_Diva View Post
>>gasp<<

also, i'm not raggin on you in particular.. but now i understand a bit more into the psyche of people that have wide open spaces and still go the speed limit. i'm not downing you.. i'm just telling you what the person behind you REALLY is thinking.

if we had a tank. we'd drive over people that go slowly in the fast lane (or damn near any lane).. when you have wide open spaces.

once again, i hope you don't feel offended..just bein honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top