Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 PM

489 posts, read 1,910,998 times

Advertisements

Nick682, your excessively long, repetitive posts make it sound like your selling your negative opinion of your own poor experiences here to yourself. I'm sorry your life was horrible here, but only you could have changed that for yourself. There are over 20 million people in Southern California, yet you place us all under a negative generalization. I believe myself to be a fun, outgoing, friendly person with plenty depth. The people I have met and befriended here, and all over the country, have been the same. What I'm saying is that you attract people who generally reflect yourself, so maybe it's you? I don't know you so I'm not saying this is the case, but I can't imagine how you've had so many negative social interactions in such a diverse, densely populated place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 PM

202 posts, read 871,578 times
Default Reply "not everyone phony balonie"

Yeah, sounds like you have a good attitude about it, thats cool. I agree that they are everywhere. And yes I can be a little fake sometimes because I am in a hurry and I am trying to be nice, so I can be patronizing. But thats my point!

I don't want to have to patronize people because I am in a hurry. So Cal breeds that culture because everyone is so worried about affording living here that they are stressed to make ends meet.

For example why is it that everyday when I leave my house relaxed and happy, minutes later I have some guy or girl who is doing sixty on surface streets in their SUV, right on my ass throwing up their hands because they are annoyed that I'm only breaking the speed limit by 5mph.

Why you ask? Because that individual is impatient, lawless and a stress case. Why are they that way you ask? Because they have been driving for two hours in smog congested traffic? Or maybe they don't plan well and they are flaky so their late? Or maybe they are overworked, working two jobs and they only have minimal time to make it to the next one? Or maybe they are just inconsiderate and they view you as just another obstacle and they know that they can get away with treating you like crap because they are in a two ton weapon? Whatever it is that makes people act like that, I want no part of it. It never fails to happen too, everyday some one will do it, sometimes twice, three times, fifty times!

I don't want to be assaulted with a vehicle everyday when I leave for work.
It is aggravating and is a terrible way to start your day. I have lived and driven in cities with the same amount of traffic and people and have never seen this kind of self centered behavior. I am kickback, I don't want to fly down the road like my life depends on where I am going. My job requires me to drive all day, so you would think that I would get more impatient than people who don't (exact opposite) why can't people just accept that they are going to be on the roads and just relax.

Why would you want to raise kids in that kind of environment? I would be afraid to let my kids walk down the street for fear that some one will run them over. It says something about a place when people get pissed off because they have to stop for a school bus thats dropping off kids. It doesn't just say that they are in a hurry and they have places to be either.
It says that they are so self centered about their own needs that they don't even think about the possibility of running over small kids coming home from school.

People neglect their children out here, they throw them and Ipod and a cell phone and send them out into the world. No wonder these kids are growing up to be self centered and materialistic. Don't you know, it's good to talk to your children! No not to discuss who's gonna be first to use the microwave. I mean real stuff "yah know real life" and you have to sit down with them for more than ten minutes, come on people. Don't let your little 14 yr old girl go to school wearing a mini skirt, plastered with makeup showing her midriff just because the Olson twins do it. It's not okay, even though you have the hollywood influence.

People who are wiling to raise kids in this environment are not thinking about the welfare of their children. Their thinking of themselves!

About the women asking about your job/where you live?

I agree, I ask people what they do sometimes. But its not consistently the first thing out of my mouth, I like to think I am unique in that way. I am not some robot that says: "nice to meet you what do you do"? And then repeats that same phrase every time I meet someone new.

It's so weird, I don't understand how so many people just don't realize how bad it is. Don't you see these people on the freeways that have massive stickers on the back of their cars that say "So Cal" in huge print. Alongside it their are two outlines of naked women with hair to their asses, and voluptuous breasts and asses. You can actually see the nipple outlines on these massive stickers. I mean seriously, there should be a large swinging arm that detects these people on the roadways and swings out and ejects them into a garbage disposal. If I ever have kids--and "I know I will not meet the women I want to do that with here". I would never want them be subjected to this kind of chauvinistic crap. It makes me wonder what that person was actually thinking? It's just unavoidable in your face garbage.

Any women wondering why the guys are chauvinistic in So Cal need not look any further. Cheez, Cheez, Cheez....I have example after example of stuff like this that happens all the time (I could write a book). And for you people who will say: " it's like that everywhere" I will agree. To some degree you will find that everywhere. I don't doubt that places like Miami and Las Vegas actually have more of it than So Cal. But I would like to pride myself on living in a place where things like this are held to a minimum instead of being a daily occurrence. Believe me the US is not all the same, people who don't like this stuff leave and people who do, stay. Or sometimes they really want to leave but they can't for some reason. When I was twenty and partying this place was kinda cool. Now that I am nearly thirty and all grown up, I would like to live around real grownups.

To all of you out there who actually have substance.....I send my love and best wishes especially if you plan on making this your permanent home.

Last edited by Nick682; 02-24-2008 at 07:31 PM..

Old 02-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Excessively long posts reply

Believe me I am done after this...you won't have to hear from me again. You can go on believing this place is fantastic. If you think I am negative you are right I am a product of my environment. But I am not going to live my whole life like that, thats why I'm leaving. I don't doubt that you are a nice great person that has plenty to offer. Maybe your the best thing since sliced bread? Thats cool, I never said everyone was like that. Believe me I know, I grew up here, I have great friends all of which I will miss. It's the overall vibe that I am talking about. Maybe you will never get it, and thats okay, it's better if you don't.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,518,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Believe me I am done after this...you won't have to hear from me again. You can go on believing this place is fantastic. If you think I am negative you are right I am a product of my environment. But I am not going to live my whole life like that, thats why I'm leaving. I don't doubt that you are a nice great person that has plenty to offer. Maybe your the best thing since sliced bread? Thats cool, I never said everyone was like that. Believe me I know, I grew up here, I have great friends all of which I will miss. It's the overall vibe that I am talking about. Maybe you will never get it, and thats okay, it's better if you don't.
You might enjoy reading some this guy's posts. His handle is Sal Monella (I thought that was a crack up.)

Check this one out. What do you think?

//www.city-data.com/forum/848059-post17.html

Try this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...etentious.html

Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM

636 posts, read 2,638,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Okay, I didn't know that I was writing a paper for english class?

Your right paragraphs are easier to read and I didn't write in paragraphs "your point"?

I do not blame all of my bad experiences on so cal, like I said, I have had many great friends here.

You can try to convince yourself that this is a great place to live, thats fine, in fact I would rather that the people who like So Cal stay in So Cal because I don't want them going where I am going.

Is this easier for you to read? Hate to take a pop shot at you, but you did it to me w/ my writing. "LA Lady" so typical of out here, people brand themselves. Like the personalized cheezy license plates that have one liners on them, If I wanna know how much you make or what you do I'll ask. Otherwise lets not cheapen society w/ phony one liners that belong on license plates.

If it sounded like I was blaming all of my woes on So Cal then I came across in the wrong way, I was just blowing off steam about how bad it can be out here. I do not blame anyone for my life and I am happy, I was replying to all of those who had comments on So Cal being self centered etc...

Looking at other post about behavior in So Cal there are many who echo my sentiments exactly. I am not a hater, but there's a difference between hating and saying it like it is...and thats what I'm doing, like I said I have traveled the world and the nation so I have a good idea how it is everywhere.

Take care of yourself "LA Lady" hope all you dreams are fulfilled in wonderful Los Angeles.
Yes, much easier to read. Thank you. Take care of yourself also. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Cool thanks....I'll check it out.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Yeah...me too? Thanks.....

Old 02-24-2008, 07:49 PM

Default Reply to Charles!

Oh man....I nearly fell out of my seat reading the post from the OC guy.

I couldn't have said it better...Hillarious!

I agree w/ the others too.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:50 PM

489 posts, read 1,910,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You might enjoy reading some this guy's posts. His handle is Sal Monella (I thought that was a crack up.)
HA!!! I love that name! Charles, I can always count on you to throw a good laugh into the game!
Kinda felt like that guy was a lil pretentious in his own sense, regarding NYC. Oh well.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 PM

482 posts, read 897,183 times
Quote:

1) How non Southern Californians' behavior differs from Southern Californians' behavior, and

2) How non Southern Californians experience culture shock from moving to Southern California.

I'm a non-native, lived in various parts of the USA now in SOCAL.

SO Cal natives are for the most part rude drivers, have to drive new cars (the bigger the better), have to have a cell phone stuck in their ear, materialistic and hedonistic (must go on a vacation monthly if not every weekend) and like someone else said "in their own bubble" oblivious to neighbors or others.

On the positive side, most people are not prejudice against other nationalities or races, for the most part, I think because of the large diversity. And there are less smokers here than the rest of the country.

The biggest shock for me was the constant SUNNY DAYS in the weather pattern. And, yes, natives make a big deal about a little rain; like its a major blizzard, and no one knows are to drive any longer.

Ok, no body bash me...just giving my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles