U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 AM

3,469 posts, read 7,310,496 times

Advertisements

Not all Californians live in LA....a lot of these stereotypes would apply mostly to LA. Growing up in a small, suburban town I don't experience a lot of the things mentioned here.
Most people in LA, it should be noted, are transplants from other states & countries, not natives. People who move out to LA to make it in Hollywood often are looking to just use people & aren't concerned about others. Those same people end up bitter & bash CA later because it didn't work out for them. There's plenty of middle class people in CA & even LA who don't lead some materialistic, fame-hungry lifestyle. It all depends on what you are seeking out.
You can also put a positive spin on things people have stated negatively; such as the point that people are more concerned with appearance...that is true, but that also means people are overall better looking & groom nicer.

I didn't experience more friendliness outside of Cali, but I've mostly been to south west states. I notice that people can be hostile towards Californians, but they wouldn't receive that treatment if they came here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I imagine Los Angeles' numbers are artificially inflated due to the high number of Mexican immigrants, a large number of which are religious Catholics.
Artificially inflated? So those aren't real people? Just because they don't run in your circle doesn't mean they don't count as people. Even if they came here illegally (and not ALL do, there's plenty of legal Hispanic people in Cali), they're here now & a part of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:58 AM

202 posts, read 817,639 times
Default Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Nick682, I know you may think we bumped heads beginning in this thread, but I just need to warn you that the moderators take very seriously the terms of use for this site, one of those terms being:
"You warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar"
Although I am sure the word you used truly describes how you feel, be aware that the moderators can and do cut peoples posts for such language.
Roger that, thanks for the heads up....Your so cool! I think you and me could be best buds.

Brea....thats a cute name...you sound like a nice girl?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 AM

489 posts, read 1,785,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Roger that, thanks for the heads up....Your so cool! I think you and me could be best buds.

Brea....thats a cute name...you sound like a nice girl?
LOL!!!!! OMG no I'm a guy. I currently live in the city of Brea in Orange County. While Brea has a nice sound to it, it literally means "Tar" in Spanish!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 AM

Default Funny

Thats...Funny!....Right Like the Brea Tar Pits.....

Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 AM

Default Sorry Brea,,,, just when you and me were starting to get along?

Practical Reasons not to go to LA:

Air Quality, check out EPA websites and American Lung Association. Causes asthma in children. Particles have been scientifically proven to cross the blood brain barrier causing changes in brain chemistry that could be irreversible (irritability, headaches).

Cadavers have been studied and the particle pollution has been shown to have the same effects as smoking on the lungs. These particles are inhaled taken into your blood stream transported to your brain. They lodge themselves in your heart muscle tissue causing elevated blood pressure, faster heart rate, higher stress levels.

Particle and Ozone pollution both cause eye irritation, skin rashes, headaches, and have been linked to cancer in many many studies. These particles are free radicals which damage your skin making you age faster and wrinkle quicker.

There will be no shortage of time for you to kick back in your car behind someones exhaust pipe inhaling the Carbon Monoxide, Dioxide and Ozone and million other particles because you have no choice but sit in traffic.

You will spend on average at the very minimum one hour a day on the road. But thats not it, because they make it into the office buildings unless they have meticulous standards for changing air filters which gets very expensive. Even if they do, the hepa filters do not filter out some of the worst and smallest particles that cross the blood brain barrier and are the most damaging.

Good luck keeping them out of your home if they can't keep them out of the new buildings. I suggest a very expensive air filter, they are about $1000 to really get a good one. Don't ever open your windows because that allows the particles in and if you do, immediately run the air filter afterwards for a few hours.

On the fire days, it gets very bad and it is recommended to not even go outside.

Maybe you will be lucky and for some odd reason you will not suffer any lasting effects from one of the worst city's in the nation for air pollution.

Oh.....and the heat combined with the air pollution is a real winner!
[+] Rate this post positively

Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Nick682, I know you may think we bumped heads beginning in this thread, but I just need to warn you that the moderators take very seriously the terms of use for this site, one of those terms being:
"You warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar"
Although I am sure the word you used truly describes how you feel, be aware that the moderators can and do cut peoples posts for such language.
Oh come on.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Thats...Funny!....Right Like the Brea Tar Pits.....
Yes, exactly. Except we have wolves and raccoons instead of mammoths.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Oh come on.
Hey, ridiculous but true. I'm just warning a newbie.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:28 AM

Default Bad Words

Quote:
Oh come on.
Dictionary.Com

dick
"fellow, lad, man," 1553, rhyming nickname for Rick, short for Richard, one of the commonest Eng. names, it has long been a synonym for "fellow," and so most of the slang senses are probably very old, but naturally hard to find in the surviving records. The meaning "penis" is attested from 1891 in British army slang; ******** "stupid person" is from 1969. Meaning "detective" is recorded from 1908, perhaps as a shortened variant of detective. The Dick Whittington story is an old one, told under other names throughout Europe, of a poor boy who sends a cat he had bought for a penny as his stake in a trading voyage; the captain sells it on his behalf for a fortune to a foreign king whose palace is overrun by rats. The hero devotes part of his windfall to charity, which may be why the legend attached in England since 16c. to Sir Richard Whittington (d.1423), three times Lord Mayor of London, who died childless and devoted large sums in his will to churches, almshouses, and St. Bartholomew's Hospital.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I'm polite when others are
I'm being polite to you now, I have even rep'd you because I agree with you on some things believe it or not. Don't knock me for helping out a new poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles