U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-26-2008, 01:31 AM
 
202 posts, read 817,639 times
Reputation: 107

Advertisements

You guys are so cute....fighting over me....your making me blush!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 818,531 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
I'm being polite to you now, I have even rep'd you because I agree with you on some things believe it or not. Don't knock me for helping out a new poster.
Well I thank you for being polite to me, since I'm being polite to you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 AM
 
Location: San DiFrangeles, Ca
489 posts, read 1,785,291 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
You guys are so cute....fighting over me....your making me blush!
HA HA HA I guess we are huh? Believe me everybody on here bumps heads now and again, and Prince and I have in the past. I got past it because I realize I don't know anybody on here at a personal level so I've never seen reason for hard feelings but maybe it wasn't mutual? Who knows, I just wanted to let you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 AM
 
Location: San DiFrangeles, Ca
489 posts, read 1,785,291 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Well I thank you for being polite to me, since I'm being polite to you as well.
Ok I hear ya. So my question... Why the interest in culture shock outside of CA, are you looking at a move or just curious to the outside world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,692 posts, read 28,332,852 times
Reputation: 6675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Practical Reasons not to go to LA:

Air Quality, check out EPA websites and American Lung Association. Causes asthma in children. Particles have been scientifically proven to cross the blood brain barrier causing changes in brain chemistry that could be irreversible (irritability, headaches).

Cadavers have been studied and the particle pollution has been shown to have the same effects as smoking on the lungs. These particles are inhaled taken into your blood stream transported to your brain. They lodge themselves in your heart muscle tissue causing elevated blood pressure, faster heart rate, higher stress levels.

Particle and Ozone pollution both cause eye irritation, skin rashes, headaches, and have been linked to cancer in many many studies. These particles are free radicals which damage your skin making you age faster and wrinkle quicker.

There will be no shortage of time for you to kick back in your car behind someones exhaust pipe inhaling the Carbon Monoxide, Dioxide and Ozone and million other particles because you have no choice but sit in traffic.

You will spend on average at the very minimum one hour a day on the road. But thats not it, because they make it into the office buildings unless they have meticulous standards for changing air filters which gets very expensive. Even if they do, the hepa filters do not filter out some of the worst and smallest particles that cross the blood brain barrier and are the most damaging.

Good luck keeping them out of your home if they can't keep them out of the new buildings. I suggest a very expensive air filter, they are about $1000 to really get a good one. Don't ever open your windows because that allows the particles in and if you do, immediately run the air filter afterwards for a few hours.

On the fire days, it gets very bad and it is recommended to not even go outside.

Maybe you will be lucky and for some odd reason you will not suffer any lasting effects from one of the worst city's in the nation for air pollution.

Oh.....and the heat combined with the air pollution is a real winner!
[+] Rate this post positively
Nice blue skies on many days in the part of Los Angeles I am located at:


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 03:52 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,323 posts, read 19,971,017 times
Reputation: 18436
The first time I was in LA was for a job interview right after college and what an eye-opening experience it was. It was the first time I would encounter people with such relaxed inhibitions. I was flown from Chicago (where everybody was so damn uptight by comparison), put in a hotel, and given a rental car. I was mesmerized by the place, so bright and airy. I loved the mountains and the ocean. The next day, I was directed by the HR rep to my first interviewer, an older man who presumably was to be my department head. After introductions, we sat down and he proceeded to lay back in his chair and put his feet up. He looked at me and said that he couldn't remember what I was there for. I was there for a software engineering job. He talked some about the company and what it does. We then talked about where I should go sightseeing after the interview. He mapped out a route for me to see the area in and we talked about anything but work. This was by far the easiest, most relaxed interview I had ever had at that time, or since.

The next person was an older black lady who was very nice looking and very slender. She had very smooth features and she looked like she worked out regularly. She looked very nice and she had such a soft spoken disposition. I was quite taken by her (which she later admitted she recognized). We talked a little about what I wanted to do at the company and she told me that she was impressed with my background and grades. She then asked me if I was going to get a place with a swimming pool or not, then told me which communities were best to live in. She talked about where she lived and that she had lived in LA most of her life. She told me to call her when I was done with the rest of the interview, and she would give me a tour and take me to dinner. Nice. Later I called her and we set a time and I went back to my hotel room. Later met up with her and she drove me around and we went to a nice restaurant and as we talked she kept rubbing my hand, touching my arm, and leg. Eventually we went for a walk on the beach near Rt 1, got into some kissing, then went back to her place. I didn't get back to my hotel room until 11:30 the next morning. Incredible experience.

I eventually moved to NoCal, but SoCal will always hold a special place in my heart because of that experience. It was a lasting first impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 AM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,607,704 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Okay, I didn't know that I was writing a paper for english class?

Your right paragraphs are easier to read and I didn't write in paragraphs "your point"?

I do not blame all of my bad experiences on so cal, like I said, I have had many great friends here.

You can try to convince yourself that this is a great place to live, thats fine, in fact I would rather that the people who like So Cal stay in So Cal because I don't want them going where I am going.

Is this easier for you to read? Hate to take a pop shot at you, but you did it to me w/ my writing. "LA Lady" so typical of out here, people brand themselves. Like the personalized cheezy license plates that have one liners on them, If I wanna know how much you make or what you do I'll ask. Otherwise lets not cheapen society w/ phony one liners that belong on license plates.

If it sounded like I was blaming all of my woes on So Cal then I came across in the wrong way, I was just blowing off steam about how bad it can be out here. I do not blame anyone for my life and I am happy, I was replying to all of those who had comments on So Cal being self centered etc...

Looking at other post about behavior in So Cal there are many who echo my sentiments exactly. I am not a hater, but there's a difference between hating and saying it like it is...and thats what I'm doing, like I said I have traveled the world and the nation so I have a good idea how it is everywhere.

Take care of yourself "LA Lady" hope all you dreams are fulfilled in wonderful Los Angeles.

I can imagine what it would be like if I moved there with my Indiana "In God We Trust" license plate, LOL!
Actually, I didn't pick that plate out, I was told I had to take it because with a new car, they'd give me a new plate instead of issuing a credit for the old one.
I understand what you are saying. Life is too short to live it superficially. I have lived rich, medium, and poor. And being poor taught me what I was really about, and the strength I had. There is no better pride than pulling oneself up bye one's own boot straps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 AM
 
202 posts, read 817,639 times
Reputation: 107
Default Rankings American Lung Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Nice blue skies on many days in the part of Los Angeles I am located at:



Rankings - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50752 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Ouch... that is serious culture shock for me, as my name indicates!

When the Ducks won the Stanley Cup, a measly 10,000 showed up at the rally. By comparison, Detroit drew over 1,000,000, and Denver drew about 400,000 when they won -- and both are smaller metro areas.

And finding a Stanley Cup championship sweatshirt was an exercise in futility.

Sports, generally, are not important to SoCalers. The Lakers, Angels, USC, and Ducks have won titles since I've lived here -- none qualify as what I'd consider feeling like a major championship feel in the city.

I think that stems from lack of community feel. There's such a strange dissent between various communities that it prevents everyone from coming together for things like sports, things that unify many cities.

But I also agree people are tolerant and non-judgmental, so there are plenty of good aspects to SoCal culture as well.
One reason for this is the lack of home grown passion. Many people in LA are from somewhere else - new yawk, boston, chicago, milwaukee, detroit, etc. They still dig on those teams. Go to a mets Dodgers game, 60% of the fans are rooting for the mets. Same thing at an Angels red sox game.

Another thing is championships are expected in LA. Not winning one is more of a disappointment than winning one is a surprise. Heck, the Lakers may do it this year - who would have been thinking this four months ago??? Don't we all expect USC to win next year? How about the Dodgers with Torre managing?

Also, I'd bet more people in SoCal play neighborhood soccer league than watch NFL. Go to any big park in LA on the weekends and man it is packed with soccer players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,692 posts, read 28,332,852 times
Reputation: 6675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Rankings - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=50752 - broken link)
What you don't realize is that the air quality in Los Angeles can vary from pretty bad to quite good. It all depends on what part of Los Angeles you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top