Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:00 AM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerz View Post
I Just Moved To North Carolina After Living In La For 50 Yrs, Its As Different As Night And Day. People In La Are Rude, Could Care Less About Who You Are,
What Your Doing, And Everyone Is Watching Their Backs, Because You Never Know What Can Happen At Any Moment. The People Here Are So Polite And Helpful. At Any Store, Gas Station, Resturant, Or Any Where You Go, Your Greeted With A Hello, How Are You, And Have A Great Day. Everywhere You Go People Will Wave Hello To You. In La If Someone You Didnt Know Was To Wave At You, You Duck, In Case They Shoot.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I moved here in 1977 from the East Coast, and wouldn't have been able to survive without my husband's family living here. There is really no sense of community or civic involvement. A lot of people live in their own little bubble. The political correctness also sometimes bothers me. If I could, I'd move back to the East Coast, but likely I won't ever be able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 01:23 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
SoCal Natives: We say Soda
Non SoCal: People say Pop

SoCal Natives: we dont really like hockey
Non SoCal: People actually like hockey

SoCal Natives: we drink venti no foam soy mochacchinos
Non Socal: People drink Sanka

SoCal Natives: We love our Macys, Nordstroms, and MACs
Non SoCal: People shop at Kohls, WalMart and use PCs

SoCal Natives: We love Whole Foods, Trader Joes
Non SoCal: General Stores

Old 12-15-2007, 04:44 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
SoCal: Every freeway has a name -- "the Ronald Reagan freeway, the Golden State freeway."
Other places: It's I-95, I-10, I-4, etc. (they use the numbers)

SoCal: We have "surface streets"
Other places: "What's a 'surface street'?"

SoCal: Most people don't care if you go to church or where you go to church
Other places: This can be a MAJOR topic of conversation

Old 12-16-2007, 06:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

SoCal: Most people don't care if you go to church or where you go to church
Other places: This can be a MAJOR topic of conversation
Interesting data:

City, %religious (from Sperling's Best Places)

Las Vegas, 36.25%
Seattle, WA 37.26%
Dallas, 55.11%
Huntsville, AL 55.22%
Colorado Springs, 58.02%
Los Angeles, 58.08%

Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
I imagine Los Angeles' numbers are artificially inflated due to the high number of Mexican immigrants, a large number of which are religious Catholics.

I wasn't really active in the Mexican community in the LA area, but 58% of people actually being "religious" wasn't my experience at all in the area where I lived. Church parking lots weren't filled to the brim on a random Sunday where I lived in California (Los Angeles county, but not Los Angeles), but here in Huntsville, they are so filled they have to assign police to direct traffic! I don't think the average person on this forum would experience that level of religiousity (in any traditional sense of the word) in L.A.

Also there's the question of what "religious" really means. Is it just asking the a survey respondent "are you religious?" or is it measuring actual religious practice in the home and participation in a place of worship?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:14 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I imagine Los Angeles' numbers are artificially inflated due to the high number of Mexican immigrants, a large number of which are religious Catholics.
That's what I think too.

In LA, I've never had anyone ask "What church do you belong to?" or "What religion are you?" unless they've known me for at least a couple of months. The question doesn't come up in job interviews. I don't believe I've ever worked with anyone who planned their life around church activities. Though a lot of people send their kids to private schools, most of them are not church affiliated schools.

The "Bible Belt" is very different from this. Some areas still have Blue Laws. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

Old 12-16-2007, 01:11 PM

38,860 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Being a SoCal native, having lived in Florida and having visited the Midwest and Northeast, I did notice behavioral differences between people here and in the areas of the country I've been to.

People here seem to be more health-conscious. When I was in the Midwest (Nebraska and Iowa), I noticed a lot of overweight people (maybe the cold winter weather has something to do with it?). However, Midwestern people were definitely friendlier, making time to make small talk with you.

In the Northeast (PA/NJ/NY), the people there have a tendency to do everything fast, like walking and talking. In the NYC area, the drivers are very aggressive and tend to honk their horns just for the heck of it. We're more laid back here.

In the Midwest, I noticed that families got their kids involved in extracurricular activities as soon as they were old enough to go to kindergarten. People also tended to belong to clubs of some kind or another (where they share a common interest). Here in California, it seems as if everyone is content to just "coast along" in their own little worlds. Someone else mentioned that here in SoCal, if another motorist is on the side of the road with car trouble, no one will get involved to help. But in the Midwest, people are more neighborly and will help a total stranger with car trouble out.

Another thing about the Midwest and Northeast I've noticed is that they tend to dress more conservatively than they do here. Also, tattoos and body piercings aren't as common.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:24 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
I thought LA seemed more religious than what I used to when I moved here, but according to the Sperling Data my old area was only 37% so I guess my impression was right
What I noticed here is there seem to churches just about anywhere here. Two of my neighbors have services in their houses every week and there was a church in the next office in the building I used to work in.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:40 PM

119 posts, read 716,600 times
this might have been mentioned, but people in so cal love driving slow in the fast lane and NEVER, EVER move over for a faster car behind them. while on the east coast, cars are more likely to move over if you are coming up behind them at a faster rate (not always but at least sometimes)

Old 12-16-2007, 04:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
This is probably true. Therefore, how can it be artificial or inflated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles