U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 05:06 AM

5 posts, read 19,519 times

Advertisements

Hey, I grew up in a small town in mass. And I was considering moving down to LA. I am currently a grad student at USC in Electrical Engineering.So far I been here only for a semester, but so far I really like living in LA. So I was considering getting a job here and moving out here after I get my Masters (in 1.5 years).

So I just have a few questions about living here. First off is getting the job. How hard would it be to find a job in the LA area and would the pay be enough to cover the high cost of living? I know all my friends from college got jobs (with just a BS) that pay between 60k-75k up in the north east (NY,CT,MA...). I am actually concentrating in multimedia,video/audio processing... So I was hoping that it would be easy to find a job.

Also about the housing, I know living here is very expensive. I mean, I pay ~$800 for a studio next to USC. It's not in the "safest" neighborhood. But if I can get a $65k job ,do you think I could afford decent housing in a safe neighborhood?And where would good neighborhoods be?Aside for the housing it's kind of hard for me to judge the other living expenses. I had my car from mass, I also pay insurance there. Gas here is actually less expensive than in mass/upstate NY. And I haven't really noticed that groceries and stuff like that costs a great deal more than back home.
I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by KingAdrock; 12-13-2007 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
My responses in caution orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAdrock View Post
. How hard would it be to find a job in the LA area

Depends on the demand for your services. Think you'd have any problems getting a security clearance? If not, then you'd have a good chance.

and would the pay be enough to cover the high cost of living?

Yes. People do it. Especially single people with good incomes. Ultimately depends on your living requirements. Honestly, you are the perfect candidate: young, good income potential, disposable time, not concerned about schools, flexible, likely to find work in places that are livable basically anywhere from LAX south to Irvine, near the beach, near the fun.

I know all my friends from college got jobs (with just a BS) that pay between 60k-75k up in the north east (NY,CT,MA...). I am actually concentrating in multimedia,video/audio processing... So I was hoping that it would be easy to find a job.

Not sure about that industry. What do your advisors say? What do the job search engines yield? At one time I wanted to go into audio engineering. You know what? For every audio engineer opening there are about 20 aerospace/defense openings. Guess what I do now? For non defense jobs, companies can hire offshore employees (India for example) who in the past can work for less money. So, one thing to consider is you could be competing with people who are willing to make less money than you demand. You can't offshore security clearances.

Also about the housing, I know living here is very expensive. I mean, I pay ~$800 for a studio next to USC. It's not in the "safest" neighborhood. But if I can get a $65k job ,do you think I could afford decent housing in a safe neighborhood?

Most likely. Depends on what you mean by decent and safe. But ultimately it depends on where you find a job and what your commuting tolerance is.

And where would good neighborhoods be?

Usually where it costs a lot to live.

Aside for the housing it's kind of hard for me to judge the other living expenses. I had my car from mass, I also pay insurance there. Gas here is actually less expensive than in mass/upstate NY. And I haven't really noticed that groceries and stuff like that costs a great deal more than back home.

Other costs are about the same. Heating and A/C bills will probably be much less if you live within 2*Pi miles of the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or