Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 12:07 AM

252 posts, read 518,998 times

Advertisements

I was cruising the internet bored and I saw a picture of a field of gold and orange flowers , I thought it was it was really beautiful so i looked up information about it. When to visit the park for the flowers? Apparently its the California Poppy Reserve near Lancaster California. I have heard that living in Lancaster and Palm Dale are not very nice from some people but im not sure. I heard some bad stuff, i but i don't know what to believe because people have different opinions and some people have no idea what there talking about. I have a few questions.. what is the antelope valley like crime wise ? is the valley getting all developed by urban sprawl? is it safe? is there rural areas is there a lot meth labs and trashy people. I might be i m interested in some thing rural outside the cities possibly in the future like a small acredge . thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:34 PM

since i can't re-edit i guess my main question is that Is there any good /safe rural areas in the Antelope Valley or Mojave Desert ?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:35 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Yes there are. The west sides of the 14 in Lancaster and Palmdale are low crime areas. Even at that, not all in the east is bad. There are smaller communities and single homes away from the cities - the rural areas. What you have to remember is .... it's desert, which comes with its own challenges. It would be best to take a ride up there and see for yourself.

Personally, I like it up here - close enough to LA to where I can get to it if I want, less expensive to where I can still afford a nicer home in a good area, but not so isolated to where it presents hardship.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the info, I going to follow your advice .. I think i have to check it out , my aunt lives in santa clarita and i was there today. I really like the scenery there, with the mountains and rolling hills. Its seems really to get more and more arid as you get further from the ocean. Yeah I know what you mean, some places can be so remote that can be a burden.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:39 PM

60 posts, read 305,903 times
The poppy preserve is a very nice place to visit during the months of March to June. I was there in April and I actually enjoyed my visit. Lots of trail walking and beautiful views of the mountains and surrounding countryside. Plenty of other flowers too besides poppies, lots of butterflies.

I now live in Lancaster and for me personally, it has been a much better place for me to live than Palmdale. I lived in Palmdale for 15 years and hated every minute. Now that I live in Lancaster I will offer you my point of view and say that the west side of Lancaster is not a bad place to live. I have lived in Lancaster for 5 years and have yet to have any sort of problem with crime. The sheriff is responsive and all over this place now. My neighborhood is safe and my neighbors all look out for each other. If you can find a home in a well established neighborhood so much the better. My experience has proven that the more established neighborhoods have tended to be more stable..... people have jobs, they own their homes free and clear and they don't move away. Several of my neighbors have been living in their homes for 40 years which is rare to find.

In the rural areas, you have to take into consideration the availability of water, electricity and other utilities for building. If cable is not available, satellite is your only option. If you are buying land, you have to drill for well water or truck it in to store in an above ground tank IF there are no municipal (or otherwise) water lines already in ground.

You do have to be careful where you buy if you are looking at rural property. Antelope Acres (on the west side) might be a place you would be interested in. Leona Valley (west side) and surrounding areas (Green Valley) are very rural but also more expensive than heading out to the eastern/northern regions of the Antelope Valley. Mojave is to the north of the AV, as is a city called Rosamond. Land/housing can be cheap out Rosamond way. Rosamond is located near the Edwards AFB ..... you might also be interested in a place called North Edwards. Rural property is reasonably priced. Even further out is a place called California City, but that is getting about an hour+ outside of Lancaster driving time.

Avoid a city called Lake Los Angeles. There used to be an actual lake there long ago but of course now it is a dust bowl. High rates of meth and other drug use/trade. If you buy land out in the desert, take into account that there is no shade and it gets HOT. There probably aren't any utilities available out there either which makes building difficult/impossible. Littlerock (to the east of the AV) might be another place for you to look. All depends whether you prefer hard core desert or whether you like to see some greenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles