Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:10 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,235,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
I guess we're lucky...we live in a rent-controlled building as well. The fixtures are far from new, but our landlord is very responsive and keeps things running.

People do still leave rent-controlled buildings for perfectly normal reasons - "I got a job on the other side of town/moving to another state/moving in with my significant other" etc.

(Edit) Oh snap - that tool shows you the allowable rent for ALL of the units in your building. I'm very jealous of some of my neighbors right about now. (The ones who've apparently been there since the 90's, haha.)
Yeah tell me about it.

There are people in my building paying 800 for a 1 bedroom.

WTF.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,820,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Rent Control lol. Now im not experienced in SM renting but i bet that's more of a mirage than real. Anyone in a rent controlled building will never leave and you can only imagine the number of folks lining up the day they roll that person outta the building. Not that easy brahs.
Probably one of the most premature comments I've ever seen in a thread. Ouch.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:53 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,482,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Yeah tell me about it.

There are people in my building paying 800 for a 1 bedroom.

WTF.....

So .... let me get this straight: if you were only paying $800 a month for your apartment, you would cry foul and demand that your landlord double or even triple your rent because, gee whiz, you don't want them losing money or anything. Sounds like you are envious.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,235,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
So .... let me get this straight: if you were only paying $800 a month for your apartment, you would cry foul and demand that your landlord double or even triple your rent because, gee whiz, you don't want them losing money or anything. Sounds like you are envious.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I AM envious because I pay doubled the amount for the same size/area.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,996,364 times
Quote:
i dont know if its just my building but the landlord is a d-bag.

1. washer makes terrible noise
2. paper thin walls & squeaking ceiling noises from neighbors
I pay $1900 for a 1BR in Santa Monica and have the same issues with upstairs neighbors. My next door neighbor has the same issue with her upstairs neighbors. Complain to your building management. I asked them to stop running appliances late at night which makes it impossible for me to sleep. If your neighbors are halfway decent they will quiet down at least somewhat.

I'm planning to move at some point and will only live in a top floor apartment on the west side. I lived in top floor apartments for years and rarely had any noise issues. And rent control helps if you stay in the same apartment for a really long time which definitely happens in rent controlled buildings like mine. Landlords have no incentive to do improvements to long term rent controlled tenant's units.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:07 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,482,701 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I AM envious because I pay doubled the amount for the same size/area.
I don't blame you, but then I am jealous that you get to live in SAMO for $1600 per month. That's low for a market rate apt in that area.

The rent control law changed in 2003 (?) and allowed landlords to hike rents on vacated units to whatever they thought the market would bear. They could not increase rents on existing tenants, though, which is why some folks are paying $800 a month in your building (they were there before the law took effect) while you are paying double that.

At least your landlord can't double your rent when your lease is up (unless you leave ...pity the next tenant.).

Old 05-30-2014, 10:38 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,469,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I pay $1900 for a 1BR in Santa Monica and have the same issues with upstairs neighbors. My next door neighbor has the same issue with her upstairs neighbors. Complain to your building management. I asked them to stop running appliances late at night which makes it impossible for me to sleep. If your neighbors are halfway decent they will quiet down at least somewhat.

I'm planning to move at some point and will only live in a top floor apartment on the west side. I lived in top floor apartments for years and rarely had any noise issues. And rent control helps if you stay in the same apartment for a really long time which definitely happens in rent controlled buildings like mine. Landlords have no incentive to do improvements to long term rent controlled tenant's units.
Kind of bummed reading this...dreaming of moving to Santa Monica from here in NYC...and I'm having the same issues as you guys out there here in NYC. I'm on a first floor and hear EVERYTHING from the people upstairs. I was kind of rushed to take this place, but I know in the future to only take a top floor...it greatly reduces the chance of constant noise. Sorry to hear you guys deal with high rents and cheap construction too.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:46 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,779,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Kind of bummed reading this...dreaming of moving to Santa Monica from here in NYC...and I'm having the same issues as you guys out there here in NYC. I'm on a first floor and hear EVERYTHING from the people upstairs. I was kind of rushed to take this place, but I know in the future to only take a top floor...it greatly reduces the chance of constant noise. Sorry to hear you guys deal with high rents and cheap construction too.
im a light sleeper, fairly quiet and this was one of my pet peeves with apartments and why i tried my best to get top floor, thank goodness i dont have to deal with that these days

Old 05-30-2014, 10:56 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,469,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
im a light sleeper, fairly quiet and this was one of my pet peeves with apartments and why i tried my best to get top floor, thank goodness i dont have to deal with that these days
Are you still in an apartment?

I am the same as you...light sleeper and sensitive to noise. I lived in an apartment here in NY for over 8 years that was so unbelievably quiet, I only had a downstairs neighbor, and she was quiet as a mouse. Landlord needed the apartment back, and that is why I am where I am now, in this noisy overpriced condo. I just hope when I finally make the move to CA, I don't have to deal with noise like I do here....

Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,779,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Are you still in an apartment?

I am the same as you...light sleeper and sensitive to noise. I lived in an apartment here in NY for over 8 years that was so unbelievably quiet, I only had a downstairs neighbor, and she was quiet as a mouse. Landlord needed the apartment back, and that is why I am where I am now, in this noisy overpriced condo. I just hope when I finally make the move to CA, I don't have to deal with noise like I do here....
no i finally got a house in OC, i dont think it'll be any different re noise, you better get top floor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles