Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,133 times

Advertisements

I am a 30 something white female who is looking to buy a house in Highland Park, in the area north of Figueroa, south of Aldama between 50 and 56. I'm wondering if anyone can advise on safety? I've been around the neighborhood a few times and I feel like it is OK, but then sometimes when I really think about it I'm not sure. At this point I'm over thinking it so any help is appreciated! I also have a dog I'd need to walk during the day and at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:50 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover9999 View Post
I am a 30 something white female who is looking to buy a house in Highland Park, in the area north of Figueroa, south of Aldama between 50 and 56. I'm wondering if anyone can advise on safety? I've been around the neighborhood a few times and I feel like it is OK, but then sometimes when I really think about it I'm not sure. At this point I'm over thinking it so any help is appreciated! I also have a dog I'd need to walk during the day and at night.
Walking around a place during the day is MUCH different than doing the same at night.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:42 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,770 times
I've lived in HP for 15 years and have seen it change a lot - originally I wasn't too keen on the area you described but it has really improved since I moved here. Not because of me :<). Staying aware is everything but in general I believe you would be fine there.
I don't know if you have looked north of York, if not you should. York has a great "scene" between Avenue 50 and 52 and is expanding. Good luck on your search.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM

401 posts, read 768,064 times
check out crime stats on a map with:
Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,133 times
Thanks for all the responses so far! @wehotex I've driven around at all times of the day, morning, afternoon, evening and night. I should try going even later at night around 11 or 12 to see how things change. @True Freedom I've checked out the crime maps often, slightly higher than the area I live in now, but it's always interesting to compare. @Social Democrat thanks for sharing your experience! That's exactly the type of information I was hoping for from this post.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:51 AM

671 posts, read 1,191,275 times
While there are still shootings and a few gang murders, the area can be brutal or you can mange to steer clear of it (drive a lot to where you go and avoid certain situations). However, personal property either being stolen or busted is still a fact of life around that area and through out Highland Park. It is changing, but it is still worse than quite a few other districts. Eagle Rock is better, as one example. It depends upon what you are willing to put up with. It aint gentrified just yet.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,389,513 times
I personally wouldn't advise buying in this area of Highland Park. This area is the heart of crime in Highland Park. Much of the gang violence happens here between rival gangs. You often see most graffiti in this area especially around Fig. Anyone who has ridden the Gold Line has seen the tagging. Most of the helicopters fly overhead in this area. Police often raid homes in this area. Many long term residents would agree this is not the safest area. The city and police have done well with instant graffiti removal and constant patrols, but it is a constant problem. The vast majority of people here are good hard working families with some of really bad apples mixed in.

Areas I would recommend is north of York especially towards Occidental College, Up in the hills above Meridian, Garvanza, Mt Angelus which is south of York, in the hills along Fig north of Burbank Middle School and some streets just below York. Hermon on the other side of the 110 parkway is nice and the hills towards El Sereno, Montecito Heights and Mt Washington. Some streets in the area you are looking at are nice and upkept, but as you go down it isn't that great. If you go up Aldama below Ave 54 it goes up the hill. It is nice up there and good views. and homes owners seem to keep it maintained. Avoid areas that have lots of apartments because of crime but also because of lack of parking.

In terms of safety, I think the area is safe enough during the day and business hours. Many businesses are mom and pop places that usually close around 6-7pm. People often walk/drive towards York or Fig for the grocery stores or other shops. Traffic is bad mostly during when school lets in/out and rush hour. You usually dont see many people walking around late at night like after 9pm, but thats true for many areas of LA. You dont even see people walking their dogs late at night even in the nicer areas. While crime is decreasing in Highland Park, and gentrification is happening, the areas between Fig and Aldama is probably the last place to fully feel the effects. The main reason is most residents in this area are renters not homeowners. Many large old homes have been subdivided into smaller units, Many old buildings were torn down and replaced with 10+ unit apartments back before there was a historic overlay. You can usually tell good areas by the least amount of fences and gates on the street, bars on their windows, how distressed the house is, and the upkeep of their yard, how much trash is on the street, sidewalk and curb park, etc.

Hope this helps. My family has lived and is still in the area nearly over 30 years. I've seen the ups and downs. It's good to see it being safer, new businesses coming in, and so on.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 AM

24 posts, read 32,237 times
I would not recommend the area you originally mentioned.

The only area I would recommend in Highland Park is the immediate area around Occidental College. I own a rental near York and Ave. 50 and I've seen dramatic improvements and changes over the last 15 years. (That area was always the best part of Highland Park, even to begin with).

Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM

1,043 posts, read 900,046 times
Do you already live in the general area? I think it would be best to rent in the eastside prior to buying a house so that you can get a feel for it and see if it's for you.
I find it interesting that some people want to buy homes in the area but think all the commercial areas are dodgy and dirty looking. Are they going to jump into their car and head across town to an area they actually like every time they want to get out?

Old 06-01-2014, 05:18 PM

908 posts, read 1,305,019 times
Saybanana is on the money here. Go toward Occidental or better yet, look into Eagle Rock or Mt. Washington depending on your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles