Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:32 PM

601 posts, read 755,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettD View Post
Hi, I'm a young single moving to LA for a job in animation. Most of the studios that interest me are in Burbank, and I am highly considering living in NoHo and commuting to Burbank via bike for the exercise and air. On the flip side, the valley is seen as a not cool area, and I want an active social life, so I'm highly considering staying in Silver Lake and commuting to Burbank via bus while bringing my bike on board. I could live in Burbank but that limits because there are studios like Fox Animation that are in Central City.

What to do?
I guess you already chose, but there's also a ton of studios in Hollywood that you shouldn't overlook, in terms of employment prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:13 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
If you don't have the job already, you may not get one. Just setting your expectations. Hope you like waiting tables.

NoHo to Burbank is an easy commute, even on bicycle. There's enough of an arts district that you should be happy. If your rent is too cheap, danger Will Robinson.

Burbank and Glendale are maybe a little more family-retail-suburbian orientated. Safest, most boring cities in your list.

Silverlake, the younger and gay-er you are (I'm not using that in the pejorative sense, so back off) would be a better fit. If you want to ride your fixie bike to the coffee shop to work on your screenplay and contemplate going vegan while you wear a cabbie hat, knock yourself out. It's a rough commute northeast, IMO.

And you bicycle must come inside your living room at night, or it will be stolen. Even if they can't steal it easy, crackheads will steal your seat or 1 tire just to sell it for crack money.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM

76 posts, read 236,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettD View Post
Yeahhhh, I've picked NoHo. Sorry, you're gonna have a new person in town this December.

Um, you said put the bike in a well lit area, but to also hide it? You mean hiding it while at home, correct?
Hahaha, welcome to the nabe. You'll love it.

The whole "Hide it, Lock it, Keep it" slogan for the LAPD is primarily for people who have cars and like to leave their laptops in plain sight when they leave their car. They say implementing this simple policy and advertising it has shown a large drop in these types of crime.

Regarding your bike, I mean if your riding to and from work, whether in Burbank, NoHo or anywhere else for that matter, just use common sense and park it/lock it in a well lit area. Just less of a likelihood anyone will mess with it. A lot of folks here typically have them out on their balconies.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
If you don't have the job already, you may not get one. Just setting your expectations. Hope you like waiting tables.

NoHo to Burbank is an easy commute, even on bicycle. There's enough of an arts district that you should be happy. If your rent is too cheap, danger Will Robinson.

Burbank and Glendale are maybe a little more family-retail-suburbian orientated. Safest, most boring cities in your list.

Silverlake, the younger and gay-er you are (I'm not using that in the pejorative sense, so back off) would be a better fit. If you want to ride your fixie bike to the coffee shop to work on your screenplay and contemplate going vegan while you wear a cabbie hat, knock yourself out. It's a rough commute northeast, IMO.

And you bicycle must come inside your living room at night, or it will be stolen. Even if they can't steal it easy, crackheads will steal your seat or 1 tire just to sell it for crack money.

That's the million dollar question. From what the OP wrote it doesn't sound like they have a studio job waiting for them, they stated "studios that interest me" not the other way around.

Unless you know you have a job lined up it's hard to say where to live, and not having a car is going to make it that more difficult.

And yes that means your bicycle comes inside at night, if you want to use it the next morning.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:41 PM

52 posts, read 81,479 times
I'm looking for a job. However I picked NoHo due to its lower rent. I also have a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles