Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 PM

28 posts, read 74,264 times

Advertisements

Several months ago, my car got rear-ended by a City of Los Angeles garbage truck. The truck driver was pretty clearly at fault, and I didn't get a ticket or anything, so I filed a claim with the city (with pictures and estimated costs) and thought the case would be resolved quickly.

After filing the claim, I received notice from the city that my claim was being processed, then didn't hear anything for a while. A month ago, I got a second letter informing me that my claim had been transferred from one government division to another. However, that was the last communication I received. I've never spoken to anyone and an adjuster has NOT come out to look at the car.

The problem is, I am moving soon and really need to get the wrecked car off my property, as the new place doesn't have room for it. But I'm worried that if I sell the car for scrap, the city will suddenly contact me demanding to see it so they can assess damages.

So at this point, I'm looking for advice on the following questions:
1. Is the city ever going to send an adjuster to look at the actual car, or do they make the determination solely based on the police report and pictures?
2. Is it cost-effective to hire an attorney if I'm only asking the city for a few thousand dollars (basically, the blue book value of my car)?

Last edited by seraphita; 05-30-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
Have you contacted your insurance company about this?

Old 05-30-2014, 03:05 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
You should have your insurance company pursue your claim, that's what you pay them for.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
In my case, my insurance company fixed my car and went after the police. I tried being nice about it and waiting for a month, but it was pointless to wait. Getting my insurance on it got everything wrapped up in 2 weeks.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 PM

28 posts, read 74,264 times
Thank you for the responses! The insurance company did file the original claim on my behalf, but I have since switched companies, so I don't know if they would continue to help me. Also, I didn't have collision insurance, so my own insurance wouldn't fix or replace the car.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:34 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Switching insurance providers while a claim was still pending was a mistake. Your new provider can't help you and your old provider has less incentive to help you now. Your claim will probably remain unresolved.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:59 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Switching insurance providers while a claim was still pending was a mistake. Your new provider can't help you and your old provider has less incentive to help you now. Your claim will probably remain unresolved.
Seriously. Why would you switch providers?

Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
I had a garbage truck hit the front of my van. We did have to bother the city a bit to get it resolved quickly but it still took almost 2 months. All we had to do was go to 3 repair companies to get estimates and send them in to the city. They actually went with the highest and sent us a check. The police were called at the time of the wreck but we didnt need the report and no insurance companies were needed to be involved.

I would contact someone at the city and ask what is going on with your claim.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:31 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
I got hit but a City vehicle.

The worse part is that it now shows up on my DMV record as an accident and I need to explain it and show the report when a future employer or insurance company brings it up.

Keep all of your paper work and accident report organized. If you can't figure out how to get the money yourself, there are people that will gladly share the money to do work for you. You can google auto accident adjusters or lawyers.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:40 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Why would you switch insurance before it got resolved? If they haven't had to pay a dime, they are not at all motivated to go after them to recoup the money.

I had a guy hit my car and drive off and luckily I have full insurance so mine paid for the repairs and then went after the other insurer. The person dropped that insurance the day after the accident, probably thinking they would get dropped anyways. They couldn't even contact the driver to ask questions so that insurance company paid everything for the repairs.

It was a very quick turnaround to get fixed and settled. Reason? My insurance was on the hook for my repairs and I had a police report that verified the fault of the other driver. If they hadn't had to pay a dime, and I had dropped them, I seriously doubt they would even return my phone calls.

And yes, I have been hit several times over the years by some really crappy Houston drivers. 1/3 of texans are uninsured and drivers have no real reason to stop at the scene of an accident and give information, there is almost no penalty in Texas. Very crappy state!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles