Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times

Advertisements

Don't worry about the hella dope stuff. That was just to make fun of people living in NorCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:42 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesGirl View Post
Hella? Dope? goodness....... lol .. I am clearly going to need to adjust if I end up in California. Just curious - why do native Californians dislike "Cali" - us east coasters just use it as an abbreviation. Would have never thought that it would be frowned upon by locals. Good to know though.
I don't think "Cali" is a term a native would ever use. It's like fingers on a chalkboard to many of us. I don't know why, exactly- because it's associated with rap and hip-hop maybe?

Really though... It doesn't matter much. Call California "Cali" all you want. What's important, is that you find the place and it's people to your liking. Which I'm sure you will.

Welcome, in advance!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
First thing for you to consider, if you intend to make friends is, drop the "Cali" crap.
Most people, especially those born here, hate when any one uses that phrase.
Bob.
Exactly. I didn't want to sound mean and address this, but I'm glad someone did. Can't stand that nickname. Why can't people just say "California"?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
The OP said her office would be in Pasadena.

Anyways, to answer the OPs question. You should live in Pasadena or south Pasadena. 1300 can't get you a decent 1 bedroom in a safe clean area but it won't be anything luxurious.
I guess I need to put my glasses on> In that case, Pasadena would be a great place to live. I am not sure her budget will get her much in So. Pasadena though.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesGirl View Post
No no.. Work would be in Pasadena, not Santa Monica. I was just asking how far Pasadena is from there, since I hear it's a nice area. I mentioned my budget - 1100-1300.
thanks for clearing that up: If I were in your position I would take Pasadena over Santa Monica. Both are nice, I just happen to think Pasadena would be a good fit for you. And now, with the office being there, it is a no brainer.
And yes, So. Cal is what most call it or they just mention the actual town or city. One more thing: if you choose Pasadena, you will be not far at all from Dodger Stadium. You will get to watch your Phillies get beat!!! LOL

It looks like you are also considering Chicago and Dallas.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:56 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
If you can manage to find a place near a Gold line station in the SGV (San Gabriel Valley, which is where Pasadena is located), that would be ideal. Then you would be able to take the metro to Hollywood, DTLA, Ktown, Culver City and by the end of this year Santa Monica.

You can try a website like Padmapper (dot) com, and put in your budget, focusing the map around Pasadena and localizing it even more to near the stations. For your price range, I was only able to locate studio's such as this: Old Town Studio Util Paid

If being close to a station IN Pasadena is not your priority, you can expand your search to other areas of the SGV. Like others said, it is best you are close to work as possible. Best of luck!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:42 PM

546 posts, read 817,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesGirl;35044252}

My office would actually be in Pasadena, and my budget would be between 1100-1300/month. Is this even doable? I could go up if needed, but I like to travel a lot and do extra curricular things.. so I'd like to maintain a certain rental budget if possible.[B
No idea what kind of area Pasadena is.. if it is cookie cutter suburbia, [/b]or if there are cities around it that provide more of an urban feel. I like to walk to shops, restaurants, jogging trails etc if possible. As far as commute - I'd like to stay within 30 minutes of work (including rush hour) - could push it to 45 if there is an area that fits what I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
You've already got a lot of good information but Pasadena is definitley NOT cookie cutter suburbia. It is a very unique city with a very walkable "Old Town" area and it has an increadible mix of cultural amenities for a relativley small city. Lots of character/charm in Pasadena....i'd personally take it over Santa Monica all day long.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Exactly. I didn't want to sound mean and address this, but I'm glad someone did. Can't stand that nickname. Why can't people just say "California"?
You weren't mean about it. I also don't like that nickname.

But I must say I am increasingly seeing these "Cali" for life T-shirts, presumably worn by natives.

The name "California" is written:

CALI
FOR
NIA

across the front of the T-shirt. Unfortunately, these are only spreading the usage of that term.

I've been to Cali, Colombia and I was going to send one of those T-shirts to a girl I know down there as a joke/gift gag.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Maybe you people can request a sticky, "Don't use CALI or I'll Hijack your Thread"

Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 PM

Most of the people that chimed in on the use of that dreaded four letter word also tried to give the OP some solid input on her (original) question........

Last edited by ProjectMersh; 06-02-2014 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles