Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:15 AM

30 posts, read 39,537 times

Advertisements

Good Morning!

I have the opportunity to relocate to a few different cities, and the LA area is one of them. I have never been to Cali (though I plan on visiting at least twice if I do decide to move) Please see below and provide suggestions for areas if you would please, and thank you!

A little about me:

29, single, female.. no kids. I love being out and about, trying new restaurants, happy hour, lounges, festivals, farmers markets, flea markets, shopping (anywhere from bargain shopping to high end), sports, and I love jogging/walking/running.

My office would actually be in Pasadena, and my budget would be between 1100-1300/month. Is this even doable? I could go up if needed, but I like to travel a lot and do extra curricular things.. so I'd like to maintain a certain rental budget if possible. No idea what kind of area Pasadena is.. if it is cookie cutter suburbia, or if there are cities around it that provide more of an urban feel. I like to walk to shops, restaurants, jogging trails etc if possible. As far as commute - I'd like to stay within 30 minutes of work (including rush hour) - could push it to 45 if there is an area that fits what I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Last edited by PhilliesGirl; 06-01-2014 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 AM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Pasadena is a great city. Lots to do: Old Town (trendy shopping and dining area), good museums, flea market (at the Rose Bowl), areas to exercise (Rose Bowl). You also have access to the Metro, which is Southern California's version of the subway/light rail system. In LA, it's best to live close to work, to minimize exposure to the traffic. All in all, Pasadena is a great choice to live.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 AM

30 posts, read 39,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Pasadena is a great city. Lots to do: Old Town (trendy shopping and dining area), good museums, flea market (at the Rose Bowl), areas to exercise (Rose Bowl). You also have access to the Metro, which is Southern California's version of the subway/light rail system. In LA, it's best to live close to work, to minimize exposure to the traffic. All in all, Pasadena is a great choice to live.
Thank you! Is my budget reasonable for this area? What is the commute time to Santa Monica area from there?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Anywhere east of the 101 Freeway. Downtown is the only "urban" feeling place, but most Angelinos actually aren't into that which is why LA is so spread out. You could live in DTLA and take the GOLD line train into Pasadena. In DTLA you can explore shopping like you've never believed. The shopping which I'm talking about isn't the high end retail that you are use to, but the volume and hidden secrets of what being a port city is all about. I feel that all this "gentrification" will actually make doing business in DTLA too expensive and actually have a long term counter productive effect, but save that for another thread.

Pasadena also a good access to on and off roading bicycling and about 1.5 hours from snow.

1100 to 1300 is possible in DTLA, but there is a reason that it is 1100 versus $1800.

Commuting from SM to Pasadena, depending on traffic is over an hour with traffic and that is when there isn't a Baseball, basketball, or Hockey game in Downtown.

I would have suggesting SM if you didn't work in Pasadena. You could live in Culver City and take two trains into Pasadena. At least you won't be driving.

Last edited by thelopez2; 06-01-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 10:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesGirl View Post
Thank you! Is my budget reasonable for this area? What is the commute time to Santa Monica area from there?
I was about to ask you where you would be working. The commute time from Pasa to Santa Monica would be a -itch to put it mildly. Actually living somewhere near Santa Monica would be your best bet, maybe even West L.A. near Westchester, but I am not sure of your rental budget. You might have to re-adjust your budget. BTW, my first thought was Pasadena as well, until I saw you would be working in Santa Monica. That somewhat changes things.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I would have suggesting SM if you didn't work in Pasadena. You could live in Culver City and take two trains into Pasadena. At least you won't be driving.
3 trains. A bit under 1.5 hours or so with all the transfers and possible waits.

Expo Line to 7th/Metro (35-40 mins) -> Red Line to Union Station (8-10 mins) -> Gold Line to Pasadena area (25-30 mins)

Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
It sounds like you should live in Pasadena. It has what you're looking for at your budget, and your commute to work would be minimal. I like Pasadena a lot(my favorite sandwich shop, Float, is there...) and it's a lovely town. Visit first, see if you like it.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:10 AM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
In LA, live as close as possible to your work. Long commutes (such as Pasadena to Santa Monica) will wear on you and your nerves. I commuted from South Pasadena and Pasadena to El Segundo (south of Santa Monica, by LAX airport) and it was easily 45-75 minutes, each-way.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:43 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
45-75 minutes, each-way.
So true about predictability of LA traffic. Trip times almost doubling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
3 trains. A bit under 1.5 hours or so with all the transfers and possible waits.

Expo Line to 7th/Metro (35-40 mins) -> Red Line to Union Station (8-10 mins) -> Gold Line to Pasadena area (25-30 mins)
Thanks for correction.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:48 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was about to ask you where you would be working. The commute time from Pasa to Santa Monica would be a -itch to put it mildly. Actually living somewhere near Santa Monica would be your best bet, maybe even West L.A. near Westchester, but I am not sure of your rental budget. You might have to re-adjust your budget. BTW, my first thought was Pasadena as well, until I saw you would be working in Santa Monica. That somewhat changes things.
The OP said her office would be in Pasadena.

Anyways, to answer the OPs question. You should live in Pasadena or south Pasadena. 1300 can't get you a decent 1 bedroom in a safe clean area but it won't be anything luxurious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles