U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,343 times

Advertisements

How much is does the school cost? I have read very mixed reviews on it and I would be curious to hear, for those who liked it, what they felt it did most for them given that most students at MI I am guessing want to be performers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy38 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone on this thread attending the Musician's
Institute in L.A and if so would like to know what you think of the school.
I am thinking of going there for voice and performance. Any imput would
be great. Thanks
Hi! I am applying for voice, attending in Fall 2010. If you email or call Lou Grasso, he can give you any information you need, and answer any questions you have...he's the go-to guy!
[mod cut: removed email for privacy reasons; look it up on the MI website if you need it.]

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 11-16-2009 at 11:25 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 PM

51 posts, read 120,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritneyShaw View Post
Hi! I am applying for voice, attending in Fall 2010. If you email or call Lou Grasso, he can give you any information you need, and answer any questions you have...he's the go-to guy!
]

Hi, I am going Feb 2010. Four months to go!! I can't wait anymore! Have you got in yet?

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 11-16-2009 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,837 times
I wanted to go to that school more than anything. but my family don't have enogh money. =[

Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,096,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy38 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone on this thread attending the Musician's
Institute in L.A and if so would like to know what you think of the school.
I am thinking of going there for voice and performance. Any imput would
be great. Thanks
If money is no object then go ahead, but most musicians are self taught. It's a natural born talent. I don't believe that you can teach talent. Also making money in this business is a long shot, and again it's the natural born talents that are succeeding as artists. I would instead invest that would-be tuition money so that by the time you're 65 you have a big nest egg.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:49 PM

44 posts, read 65,158 times
M.I. is a decent program. Keep in mind that it is for profit and not regionally accredited. Your "degree" will mean basically nothing when you graduate. You are basically paying for music lessons and the opportunity to network. Once you leave, you're on your own. They do have good opportunities for students though. I know a few people who went there and are doing ok. Just realize that regardless of what school you go to, you are most likely going to be living pretty roughly since that is the life of a musician. The chances of you making a lot of money or even enough to live comfortably are pretty slim. Especially in today's market..I would honestly choose Berklee if music school is a must though. It is at least accredited and a much stronger program all around. (A lot harder to get into though) (I actually went to Berklee briefly before moving to LA for a session musician gig...and later finishing my degree in Computer Science). The fact is that LA has thousands of amazing musicians..and plenty of bad musicians too. After working as a session musician for a few years, I can tell you first hand that it's a very unpleasant industry to work in. It's fun for awhile, but eventually you realize that the only people making a sustainable living are of a small elite group that you will never be apart of. (A lot of celebrities that you would think are living it up, are struggling too.) For most people, money might be good for two months..and then you go 6 months without making a penny. Producers, tour managers, etc. know that they can hire you for next to nothing because there will always be a massive line of people waiting to take your spot if you decide you aren't happy with the pay. With that being said, I definitely saw more people from Berklee holding the better positions in town compared to M.I. If you already know your stuff..I would just skip music school altogether and give yourself a year to give it a shot in LA..and if it doesn't work out..at least you didn't waste all of that money on music lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles