Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,458 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Culver City but just started work in the medical complex around Sunset and Vermont in Hollywood. I don't commute well, and need to move. Big time. Ideally I'd love to live near the red line, but will consider any other options that offer a sub-30-minute commute to and from that east Hollywood area.

Details about me: I love Culver City for its quiet, clean appeal and sense of community. I have two dogs that I frequently walk and I am female, so it's important to me to live in a safe neighborhood. Also, one of the dogs is white and fluffy so if we walk in dirty, high-traffic neighborhoods, he gets disgustingly dirty. Overall, I don't need a lot of hotspots, clubs, or shops. I prefer a more residential, community-based feel in a clean, safe neighborhood.

In terms of rent, I can either live on my own for under $900, or I have a friend to share an apartment with for up to $1600. I have been considering the following neighborhoods, but know very little about the practicalities of living in them, or if I could reasonably find an apartment in my range.

Toluca Lake/Valley Village/NoHo
Burbank/Pasadena
Glendale/Atwater/South Pasadena
Los Feliz/Silverlake/Echo Park

In particular -- with those combo neighborhoods, are there any I should lean toward more than the others? For instance, is Silverlake far and away better than Echo Park or Los Feliz? Thanks in advance. I have lurked on tis forum for a couple of years but haven't needed info due to loving my Culver City neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
if you can't handle the commute from culver city to hollywood, why are you considering pasadena or glendale? those places might be closer on a map, but you'd still have quite a drive through traffic.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,458 times
Thanks, katenik. This is exactly the kind of information I'm trying to find out. I thought Glendale looked like a pretty straight shot west to Sunset, but I don't know anything about the traffic of it.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:09 AM

332 posts, read 2,149,324 times
Los Feliz or Silverlake are perfect... you can even ride a bike to work.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:21 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Glendale is a straight shot into Hollywood -- except you don't take the freeway to get there. You have to go over I-5 and through Los Feliz or Silverlake. It's not a very far drive though I'm not sure how long it would take to get to Kaiser on Sunset.

Also, from Burbank (and part of Glendale), the easy route is through Griffith Park (Riverside Drive) -- not the Hollywood Freeway or Barham Blvd. The Hollywood Freeway and Barham Blvd. are HORRIFIC at rush hour!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats View Post
Los Feliz or Silverlake are perfect... you can even ride a bike to work.
The hospital's directly south of Los Feliz and not far from Silver Lake, those would seem like the obvious choices.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
MacArthur Park area isn't too bad anymore. Echo Park is pretty much the same as Los Feliz and Silverlake, but cheaper. Koreatown isn't too bad anymore.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
MacArthur Park area isn't too bad anymore. Echo Park is pretty much the same as Los Feliz and Silverlake, but cheaper. Koreatown isn't too bad anymore.
One out of three isn't bad. Echo Park is mostly decent except for the area by the park itself.

I wouldn't recommend MacArthur Park or Koreatown to anyone. MacArthur Park/Westlake is filled with drug dealers and gangs, and quite unsafe. I admit it's SLIGHTLY better than in the past, meaning it's not unsafe during the day anymore although still dangerous at night. Koreatown has serious gang problems although there may be areas on the northwestern fringes of Koreatown closer to Hancock Park that might be a little better.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:51 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Well I meant the area of those two closer to the 101. The area near LACC isn't too bad is it?

Old 12-15-2007, 01:35 AM

61 posts, read 258,311 times
you won't be able to get a one bedroom in los feliz for anywhere near $900. i know one bed units in my bldg are going for $1400 (during the big housing boom rent in my bldg was $1685 for a one bed.) if you get a roommate you'll have a decently hard time finding a 2 bedroom in los feliz for $1600. the closer to los feliz blvd you live the more expensive rent will be. rent is most expensive on los feliz blvd.

you may want to try parts of silverlake. the rent will be a little cheaper than los feliz, but you'll find a lot of silverlake is comparable to los feliz in regards to rent prices.

look at atwater village if you find glendale too mundane and boring. a lot of people who used to rent in los feliz have bought homes in atwater. and it's just on the other side of the river so it wouldn't take you long to get to work at all.

hope this helps.

p.s.

jessemh431.. echo park is NOT like los feliz at all. maybe after it has completed its gentrification process it will be a lot more like los feliz than it is now. echo park is more comparable to parts of silverlake (which are also being gentrified.)

and btw..the area near LACC is a dump. i wouldn't let my lizard live there. it seems like you really aren't too familiar with the areas you're advocating. MacArthur Park, Koreatown.. the area near LACC??

no one able to afford to live elsewhere would actively choose to live in the MacArthur Park area or the area near LACC. koreatown isn't so horrible, but it's not a place to recommend to someone in general.

from what i've noticed in my short time on this forum, is that people seemingly have no or limited firsthand knowledge of the areas they're either lauding or villifying.

if i was someone looking to move to LA i would take some of these suggestions with a grain of salt and just check out areas on my own.

saying the MacArthur Park area isn't too bad anymore shows me that you don't go around there too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles