Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 PM

248 posts, read 310,532 times

Advertisements

So, I filled out an apartment application for a place I wanted but they rented it out to someone else. So, I'm out the $25 application fee. No biggie. But if I keep filling out applications and paying application fees that can kind of add up to an unwanted money sink if I don't get a place. I know, I'm a pessimistic bastard.

I work in Koreatown and I want a studio apartment in Koreatown. The benefits for me living in Koreatown are as follows:

-walk to work and thus save $ on gas. I'm currently spending about $120 a month in gas, mostly because of my commute to work.

-walk home for lunch to save $. I make my own lunch some days but more often than not I eat at any of the number of eateries along Wilshire blvd. This is about $6 a day and around another $120 a month

-my employer pays for my parking (another $100 savings)

My salary is 33k
my credit score is 649
good rental history/I've never been evicted etc

Using the 30% metric that I'm told landlords use I would I qualify for $825 a month. By my own calculations I can afford as much as $950 a month(if all utilities included). Most of the decent looking studios in Koreatown don't go for anything less than $850. In fact there are a couple I have my eye on that are $850 (utilities included).

Will I have a problem renting an apartment in the $850-$900 range? Or will landlords tell me $825 max?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
If I were a landlord, I'd care more about your credit score than the magic 30% rule. Why is your score so low? I think most landlords are looking for a credit score over 700.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
Your credit score is a bit low -- but if you are stably employed and have a good rental history it shouldn't be a big deal.

Unless they specifically told you your credit was the reason, I think you lost out more to timing and the high demand for apartments under $1000K in LA.

If credit is an issue, you could offer to pay a bigger deposit (if you can afford it).

Old 06-06-2014, 03:46 PM

601 posts, read 755,868 times
FYI about wasting money on the app fees - I've been in that boat. Now, I always ask if someone else has put in an app yet - if they have, I walk away. At least in my experience, most places are first come first served, and more than likely the other person will be approved - fighting against other tenants is a waste of money.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If I were a landlord, I'd care more about your credit score than the magic 30% rule. Why is your score so low? I think most landlords are looking for a credit score over 700.
Medical bills. I had an illness and paid most of them but I couldn't pay all of them.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Your credit score is a bit low -- but if you are stably employed and have a good rental history it shouldn't be a big deal.

Unless they specifically told you your credit was the reason, I think you lost out more to timing and the high demand for apartments under $1000K in LA.

If credit is an issue, you could offer to pay a bigger deposit (if you can afford it).
Yeah..they didn't tell me the reason.

I can afford a bigger deposit. Would rather pay several months up front. I could pay three months up front, perhaps four.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I disagree that 649 is too low. I'd rent to you if you have a good credit report, FICO 649, and no bad debts or bankruptcies, and looked like you have enough provable income to afford the rent. No red spots on your report.

My rental agent has a rule. She takes the applications, no charge, and forwards them to me. I look them over and decide on what the prospective tenant said about their circumstances. If I say go she accepts an application fee that pays for my credit check. If the credit check supports the application the tenant gets the rental.

Her rule is that I can take paid applications only one at a time. I have to rule on that and either thumbs up or down before I can consider another tenant.

Deposit is one month's rent plus $400 cleaning fee (non-refundable), minimum 1 year lease, $300 pet cleaning fee, non-refundable (dogs only, 25# maximum, and another $100 for second dog). No third dog. No cats. Some cats will damage your house even if you spay or neuter them and cut them in half. My house, my rules, no cats, only two dogs, no crazy breeds.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:03 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I disagree that 649 is too low. I'd rent to you if you have a good credit report, FICO 649, and no bad debts or bankruptcies, and looked like you have enough provable income to afford the rent. No red spots on your report.

My rental agent has a rule. She takes the applications, no charge, and forwards them to me. I look them over and decide on what the prospective tenant said about their circumstances. If I say go she accepts an application fee that pays for my credit check. If the credit check supports the application the tenant gets the rental.

Her rule is that I can take paid applications only one at a time. I have to rule on that and either thumbs up or down before I can consider another tenant.

Deposit is one month's rent plus $400 cleaning fee (non-refundable), minimum 1 year lease, $300 pet cleaning fee, non-refundable (dogs only, 25# maximum, and another $100 for second dog). No third dog. No cats. Some cats will damage your house even if you spay or neuter them and cut them in half. My house, my rules, no cats, only two dogs, no crazy breeds.
I'm afraid it's illegal in California though. For example, from California Tenant Law - Non-profit legal advice for California renters' rights :
Quote:
almost everything you pay up front except first month's rent is part of the "security deposit," and it cannot be non-refundable.
You can probably raise the rent by $400/12 per month and give people discounts for staying longer to achieve a similar result in the end and not get sued. (IANAL)

Old 06-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

I've never heard of a non-refundable cleaning fee($400?!). Is this standard in LA? Is it legal?

Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
I've never heard of a non-refundable cleaning fee($400?!). Is this standard in LA? Is it legal?

It's illegal in California. Probably the person who posted it just hasn't been sued yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles