Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,903 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I read through most of the posts on the front page and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by how helpful everyone is.

I'm moving in about a month and will be working in Inglewood, just off "the" 405 (see, I'm getting this SoCal thing down).

I'm looking at a place in Lomita that is very cheap and seems pretty nice. Can anyone estimate what the commute would be like during rush hour? Also, if anyone has input about that area I'll definitely take it. I've also looked at places in El Segundo, Culver City, Marina Del Ray, etc that are much closer but are also a decent amount more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:27 PM

186 posts, read 659,715 times
The 405 gets very congested headed north in the mornings. You will be in bumper to bumper traffic the entire way. Whether this is a reasonable commute depends on which exit in Inglewood you will take. I have tried getting to West LA (off Wilshire) from Lomita. I left at 7:30 and it took me until after 9 am to get there. Whether you'd be happy in Lomita as opposed to other places depends on you and your lifestyle. Lomita is mostly families.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPV2NC View Post
The 405 gets very congested headed north in the mornings. You will be in bumper to bumper traffic the entire way. Whether this is a reasonable commute depends on which exit in Inglewood you will take. I have tried getting to West LA (off Wilshire) from Lomita. I left at 7:30 and it took me until after 9 am to get there. Whether you'd be happy in Lomita as opposed to other places depends on you and your lifestyle. Lomita is mostly families.
I'd be getting off at Century Blvd (exit 46?). Would surface streets be any better? Anyway, it sounds like maybe I should look for something closer.

I'm pretty big on keeping a reasonable commute. Anything over 30 minutes is probably just not worth it to be doing day in and day out.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
El Segundo or Westchester would be good areas for you. Torrance and some parts of Hawthorne or Lawndale as well, and all are closer than Lomita. What's your rent budget?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
El Segundo or Westchester would be good areas for you. Torrance and some parts of Hawthorne or Lawndale as well, and all are closer than Lomita. What's your rent budget?
I'd like to keep it to about $750-$1000 incl utilities if I can. I can afford a few hundred more, but I'd far prefer not to. I've been looking at rooms on craigslist in 2-3BR homes to get a little more bang for my buck and to share utilities.

I'm young and single, but I'm pretty indifferent to the bar/club scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles