Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAURAFRANCIS2010 View Post
Me and my boyfriend have been thinking of moving to la for sum time now we have no qualifications and are just goin to be looking for any jobs would this be a possibility to live there with a normal job???? And we have money could sum1 giv me sum feed back all seems so hard ???
First of all, this is not a text sight, but a forum. Your message appears to be a text message or maybe you didn't graduate from school period?

Sorry to come down so hard, but I can assure you there is no way you are ready to consider living in Los Angeles...

What do you mean by "we have money?" Do you mean like $10,000 or so, which is what you will need to even think of moving without jobs or skills.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 12:31 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
First of all, this is not a text sight, but a forum. Your message appears to be a text message or maybe you didn't graduate from school period?

Sorry to come down so hard, but I can assure you there is no way you are ready to consider living in Los Angeles...

What do you mean by "we have money?" Do you mean like $10,000 or so, which is what you will need to even think of moving without jobs or skills.

Nita
Just giving you a heads up, Nita. In the UK "text speak" is now considered acceptable in UK schools, and is even allowed for writing essays. Using "off color" language is also now acceptable on school reports/exercises.

Money-wise, they'll need at least $25,000 saved if they want to LIVE here without a sponsor. Without friends or family to stay with they will need $5,000 to $10,000 to be allowed an extended visit on a proper Visitor Visa, as opposed to a visa waiver, and they will need to provide an itinerary.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
This entire thread is a laugh riot.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 PM

17 posts, read 35,203 times
Ugh....PLEASE stop giving us Brits a bad name!

You CANNOT just walk into L.A. and expect to find a job and that it will all be okay with immigration. You need a degree, preferably a masters, you need years of experience and you need a sponser. At 18 you have no hope. I don't mean to be harsh, but I know what I'm talking about - I'm British on an O1.

What you need to do is visit the US embassy of London's website. Google it. They have a list of non-immigrant visas. Choose which one suits you best and see what you need to apply. Then start working on meeting the requirement - it will take a few years. That's exactly what I did. It takes time and it takes money and it takes patience. This is not a country where you can just step off the plane and wing it. Trust me on that.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natashajane View Post
Its so easy, you just need to find a visa that is suited to what you need and have already secured an apartment, which are easy to do, I have been looking at apartments in West Hollywood, which are not too steep ranging from around £300-£800 and are a suitable size for home living. If you have a degree it will be easy to get a job in what you want to do in LA, you just need to persiveere.
Drugs can be a great thing!!

Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Just giving you a heads up, Nita. In the UK "text speak" is now considered acceptable in UK schools, and is even allowed for writing essays. Using "off color" language is also now acceptable on school reports/exercises.

Money-wise, they'll need at least $25,000 saved if they want to LIVE here without a sponsor. Without friends or family to stay with they will need $5,000 to $10,000 to be allowed an extended visit on a proper Visitor Visa, as opposed to a visa waiver, and they will need to provide an itinerary.
wow, and I thought schools in Europe were superior to ours. I think I will take full sentences instead of a form of shorthand.

Of course, down deep I don't think that young lady really has much hope of relocating to the USA. She has a temp dream, that is about as far as I think she will go.

Nita

Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 AM

20 posts, read 67,493 times
Text speak isn't the norm in the UK, although it is becoming increasingly common these days. God knows why we allow it on TV commercials and in newspaper headings. But trust me, text writing isn't allowed for essays, that is a nonsense. And i can assure you no employer worth his salt would accept it either. Maybe just a low grade "blue collar" type job where you would be heading no-where! Anyone who wishes to get somewhere in life knows they can't use it and doesn't.

As for her coming to live in the USA, she has slim to no hope unless she has bundles of cash!

Laurence

Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,368 times
Somebody please tell me this thread is a joke right? It began in 2007 and is the only post of the OP.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post

What a load if tosh. Your 1st paragrah is utter nonsense.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:33 PM

23 posts, read 54,536 times
Joel, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you likely won't be sponsored. Immigration is very restrictive and only for jobs that are in high demand. If you were an energy expert, you'd be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles