U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 PM

23 posts, read 49,496 times

Advertisements

Also, Nita, you'd only be admitted after school on an extraordinary talent visa. Very expensive, very hard to come by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
What a load if tosh. Your 1st paragrah is utter nonsense.
Here in 'Merica, we are awash in hyperbole! And the Brits are all Communists coming for our children, but you knew that. It's in those covert text message thingies.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 AM

43 posts, read 82,615 times
Slightly embarrassed by some of the other comments from Brits on here. Unfortunately, writing in text talk is a way of life in the UK for many people, even though they have a keyboard. I'm slowly starting to get as annoyed as Hank Moody about it...

Just to explain my current situation:

I have around 8 years or so experience with Microsoft based database applications and hold several Microsoft certifications. I'm 28 years old and would likely be able to get together about £6,000 ($10,000) in funds. If I had the opportunity to move permanently, I could sell my apartment which would get me a further £40,000 ($62,000) once the mortgage has been paid off. My dad currently lives in the Boston area working for an American company.

Would my dad be able to assist me in moving to the states and if so what would be required? Does he need to be a resident or just a green card holder? He has worked for the company for about 10 years now.

Lastly, what is the IT jobs like in L.A? I had a quick look on Indeed.com and there appears to be plenty of jobs about but I know that can sometimes be deceiving.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:14 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,715,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1000 View Post
Text speak isn't the norm in the UK, although it is becoming increasingly common these days. God knows why we allow it on TV commercials and in newspaper headings. But trust me, text writing isn't allowed for essays, that is a nonsense. And i can assure you no employer worth his salt would accept it either. Maybe just a low grade "blue collar" type job where you would be heading no-where! Anyone who wishes to get somewhere in life knows they can't use it and doesn't.

As for her coming to live in the USA, she has slim to no hope unless she has bundles of cash!

Laurence
Larry, I beg to differ on this. When my husband and I left Newcastle in 2008 it was already considered acceptable to use cell text and foul language in essays, finals and general school work. However, this may not be the case in those counties located south of Yorkshire

Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, and I thought schools in Europe were superior to ours. I think I will take full sentences instead of a form of shorthand.

Of course, down deep I don't think that young lady really has much hope of relocating to the USA. She has a temp dream, that is about as far as I think she will go.

Nita
To be fair, there are still some superb schools located throughout the UK, but those which are in areas where funding has been drastically cut and many schools closed down, the quality of education has plummeted. My son attended a college in the north east of the country. His IT course went for THREE MONTHS without an instructor when the course instructor failed to show up and never returned. The students were expected to show up and just sit out the duration of the class without an instructor. They finally found a replacement for the instructor, the sister of a football "star" known for his alcoholism and poor behavior. She had no qualifications for the position and got it because of WHO she was related to. As a consequence, the rest of the course was spent watching her paint her fingernails and listening to her tales of drunken abandon nearly every night of the week.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
What a load if tosh. Your 1st paragrah is utter nonsense.
Is it?

GCSE students get rewarded for writing obscene insults in their English exams - Telegraph

Exam chiefs ridiculed for allowing 'text speak' English answers | Mail Online

The £3,000 'txt-spk' poster that 'undermines English teaching' | Mail Online

The British Council is also TEACHING courses in text speech...
Texting for all | TeachingEnglish | British Council | BBC

Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSWFC View Post
Slightly embarrassed by some of the other comments from Brits on here. Unfortunately, writing in text talk is a way of life in the UK for many people, even though they have a keyboard. I'm slowly starting to get as annoyed as Hank Moody about it...

Just to explain my current situation:

I have around 8 years or so experience with Microsoft based database applications and hold several Microsoft certifications. I'm 28 years old and would likely be able to get together about £6,000 ($10,000) in funds. If I had the opportunity to move permanently, I could sell my apartment which would get me a further £40,000 ($62,000) once the mortgage has been paid off. My dad currently lives in the Boston area working for an American company.

Would my dad be able to assist me in moving to the states and if so what would be required? Does he need to be a resident or just a green card holder? He has worked for the company for about 10 years now.

Lastly, what is the IT jobs like in L.A? I had a quick look on Indeed.com and there appears to be plenty of jobs about but I know that can sometimes be deceiving.

Yes, your father would be able to help you by signing as your sponsor and if he doesn't make the qualifying amount others here in the USA could also be added as co-sponsors, but this would have to be done through an application for a residency visa, and could take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to gain approval.

First step is to get a passport (which most Brits already have), but if you have an older version you will need a new one.

Then, you need to send in an application.

After receiving the application the American Embassy in London will review it and if they are happy with what they see at that point they will arrange an in-person interview with you.

Once you are approved a courier will deliver your passport stamped with a visa.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Somebody please tell me this thread is a joke right? It began in 2007 and is the only post of the OP.
Crystal, I wonder why, if you live in the UK you are even reading it, but the point is, most of us responding right now are not responding to the OP, but to the young girl that thinks the net is the same as texting...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles