Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times

Advertisements

I highly might land a trucking job that would put me in LA a couple of times a week. The distributor is located in Commerce, around Bandini Blvd and Eastern Ave. I also will be having layovers up to a full day there, but obviously I can't be be using their delivery vehicle for recreation. But I sure would like to be able to go to Hollywood at night, or Santa Monica or Venice beach in the daytime.

I've been studying the Transit map of LA. Getting to Hollywood looks fairly simple. I would take Route 62 up into downtown where I'd catch the Red Line. But coming back is the problem. The last run on #62 is at 10:15pm, which means I'd have to catch the light rail in Hollywood way too early to enjoy the nightlife. What do you do in this situation?

One other option would be just to buy an ugly old car for $1500 or so and keep it parked at the trucking facility. But then that's extra insurance expense, and the car sits by itself most of the time. I guess there's security there. Plus parking is a hassle there. I really like the public transit idea.

Going to the beach is real simple. Route 108 takes me all the way from Commerce to Venice Beach. It would be a long ride but I don't mind, I have my smartphone to keep me entertained.

Last edited by New Horizons; 06-09-2014 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: duplicated sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Get the uber or lyft app for your phone. You can take transit there and pay for a service back. You REALLY don't want to be in Hollywood that late at night anyway. It's a dump. Sunset Strip is maybe what you were thinking, red line doesn't go there, you'd have to do red line then another bus.

Don't get a car here unless you really need to do some driving. licensing it, insuring it, smog checking it... California will suck the fun right out of that.

The bus to the beach isn't too bad. The crossing south central will be an issue only in non peak times when the commuters get replaced with the zombies.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Get the uber or lyft app for your phone. You can take transit there and pay for a service back. You REALLY don't want to be in Hollywood that late at night anyway. It's a dump. Sunset Strip is maybe what you were thinking, red line doesn't go there, you'd have to do red line then another bus.

Don't get a car here unless you really need to do some driving. licensing it, insuring it, smog checking it... California will suck the fun right out of that.

The bus to the beach isn't too bad. The crossing south central will be an issue only in non peak times when the commuters get replaced with the zombies.
Looks like bus 111 has eastbound runs that start at 12:54am, 1:55, 2:55, and 3:55. I could take the Blue Line down to it, or catch a 24 hour bus going southbound from Hollywood, to bus to #111.

Then when I get to Eastern I'd have a one mile walk up to Slauson and I think the place is right around there. It's a one mile walk but I'd only have to do it on the returning trip.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 AM

95 posts, read 161,039 times
if you do uberx it is not that expensive considering you are not going to be needing it everyday. It may be cheaper than keeping a car with insurance and other costs.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgermaine View Post
if you do uberx it is not that expensive considering you are not going to be needing it everyday. It may be cheaper than keeping a car with insurance and other costs.
I don't exactly need another vehicle. I already have a Crown Vic, a Harley, and a 50cc scooter, radio controlled monster truck, skateboad that I used once, and a bicycle.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
Line 720 (Metro Rapid)

http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/...images/720.pdf

Runs from Santa Monica down Wilshire to Downtown and to Commerce Center late at night. It's the same as a regular MTA bus except the stops are maybe 2 mile instead of every block with stops by the Vermont & Wilshire Metro Station.

Very crowded but convenient and centrally located bus line. It's how I get downtown from Santa Monica or UCLA area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles