Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to LA in the fall and I will be bringing my Shepherd Mix Dog with me. I have been having issues finding an apartment that will allow her, as she is usually over the weight limits and on breed restriction lists because she is part shepherd.

I found a place in Silver Lake that has no restrictions, but can't find any info on the area or complex. They are Marathon Apartments on Marathon St in Silver Lake. Is this a decent area? Does anybody have any info about the apartment building, good place to live, safe?

Also, if anybody knows of any good places to live that will take a 70lb Shepherd Mix dog please let me know!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,534 times
not having a pug is frowned upon in Silver lake :P

Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 AM

1,043 posts, read 899,492 times
The location wouldn't be my first choice but it's not bad. I think I looked at a place in that building and passed on it. Generally, I think anything north of sunset in Silver Lake is a better place to live. If you can find places near the dog park on Silver Lake Blvd (south of the reservoir) I think there is probably minimal restrictions given its proximity to the park. Not sure of names of buildings, sorry, but it's probably a little more pricey.
When I first moved to Silver Lake (with my two pugs); I lived probably 10 minute walk from where you're talking about. There was just a lot of unsavory characters living amongst the gentrifiers that I had to get out of there; music at all hours, dogs barking all night, groups of 15 kids smoking pot near my apartment entrance. Not for me. I saw the young guy who bought the building, renovated it all into a modern hip building ended up selling it. Probably because he couldn't hold on to tenants.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
That area's OK, not great, but not awful. It's close to where Silver Lake borders East Hollywood, and is probably the "worst" part of Silver Lake. Which means it's not bad at all. There used to be some pretty major issues with drug sales in that area, and some gang activity. The drug activity, if it still exists, is no longer visible on the streets, and gang activity is now at a minimum. Nowadays the biggest security related issue is the homeless.

While the majority of Silver Lake is in LAPD's Northeast Division, the far south of Silver Lake is in the notorious Rampart Division. Don't expect the cops to come. There have been some unconfirmed reports that since Bratton left Rampart has gone back to some of their old ways and I've heard anecdotal evidence of extortion and bribery going on.

Last edited by majoun; 06-11-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 01:12 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
That area is probably the least desirable area to live in Silver Lake as it's a higher crime area. The rule of thumb is to be north of Sunset where it's safer and aesthetically nicer. However, it is also more expensive, so it just depends on what your budget is. As majoun said, that area has a history of gang activity and although it is not as pronounced now, you still need to be street smart. Check out the area by the Silver Lake Reservoir or closer to Los Feliz.

In general, crimemapping.com is a good place to check out crime statistics on a specific area.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,587 times
Thanks for all the info!

Does anybody have any suggestions on places that are large dog breed friendly? That is the main area where I am having problems.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:10 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,492 times
I know a couple people with large dogs. One with a shepherd. He rents part of a converted house... not in a full-on apartment building. Have you looked for something like this? They may be a bit harder to find but I think they usually have a landlord who sort of does real estate on the side and therefore may not have a full set of rules (incl breeds of dogs not allowed) like the big complexes.
Good luck

Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,202 times
These reviews pretty much say it all, anyway: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...on-Towers.html

Yikes!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:27 AM

5 posts, read 6,339 times
Silver Lake Resort is the best! We stayed at the Silver Lake Resort back in April/May of 2012 while visiting Disney World. I was really impressed with the room that we stayed in.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM

96 posts, read 170,480 times
Here's an entertaining review from one of your would-be neighbors:

Marathon Towers - East Hollywood - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: