U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,772,924 times

Advertisements

Everyone? I don't know anyone who does this except in the nasty parts of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM

70 posts, read 281,875 times
i live in an old 1920s building thats rent controlled. ive noticed that some of these 1 bedroom units have like 5+ people living in them. no joke. i didnt know that was allowed. whatever works i guess

Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,802,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Everyone? I don't know anyone who does this except in the nasty parts of the city.
There are plenty of people in Hollywood and the Westside doing this.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,772,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
There are plenty of people in Hollywood and the Westside doing this.
This is a ghetto thing. If you live in the ghetto, you'll see it. Plenty in the Westside? I think not, I work in that market and cover it extensively. Maybe Inglewood. Hollywood? In the nasty parts it happens. In the nicer parts it's uncommon. In the nice buildings it's pretty much unheard of. This is a poverty thing.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,994,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Family and Financial Planning used to also be a factor. Now the type of car seems to be the first priority.

I personally know of a family (2 kids) living in my relatives condo in West LA. Bought it brand new out of development. They have 3 cars: A Range Rover, Porsche Caynenne Turbo and I think a 5 series BMW.

Thats about $200,000 in car value right there. Then there are the vacations, dinners out, etc.

If they complained about housing prices in West LA, I wouldnt feel sorry for them.
Drug Dealers live everywhere!!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 AM

688 posts, read 2,319,989 times
Quote:
This is a ghetto thing. If you live in the ghetto, you'll see it. Plenty in the Westside? I think not, I work in that market and cover it extensively. Maybe Inglewood. Hollywood? In the nasty parts it happens. In the nicer parts it's uncommon. In the nice buildings it's pretty much unheard of. This is a poverty thing.
I don't know about "plenty" on the Westside but I do see it on a regular basis. More common in the area along Venice and Washington west of the 405 and in the area of Santa Monica along Pico. Also the area around UCLA but that's mostly student housing. I often see a small apartment with a bunk bed and 3rd bed in the bedroom plus either a bed or sleeper sofa in the living room. Plus family members often share a bed.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,802,345 times
Quote:
I know it offends your sensibilities that something once considered done only by the extreme impoverished can be done by people who actually are suppose to be making a decent salary, but as rents and food prices continue to climb, so called "middle-class" people will be resorting to this type of living. Viva progress and expensive unaffordable development!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,875,173 times
Quote:
i tend to agree. i don't have much occasion to enter strangers' homes, so it's hard to say how people do or do not live, but my experience assisting a family with two small kids apartment-hunt last year supports what you say. they were newly-arrived immigrants accustomed to much smalller living space than we are, and would have been content with a large studio, which was really all they could afford outside of a ghetto or barrio environment. however, no landlord i found in west/ern hollywood or the near westside would rent one to them, and only a handful would consider them for a 1BR, which is ultimately what they rented in one of the sketchiest westside neighborhoods. they weren't really keen on living in heavily hispanic areas, but those were the only places where we found landlords happily willing to cram two adults and two children into 400 square feet. (well, there was the sole exception of the illegal "studio apartment" around the corner from me with no kitchen and shared electricity jerry-rigged from the legitimate unit across the hall. the slumlord who owned that place and wasn't willing to paint or clean the nasty carpet for the next tenant would have been happy to take them as well. )

Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,532,036 times
i remember apartment hunting a couple of years ago in West LA and saw a 2 br unit that housed atleast 5 UCLA students. They even managed to mickey mouse a temp room with dry wall in the living room. no wonder parking is so terrible around there.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 12,014 times
i am disgusted in the sfv where i grew up all my life. you may as well call it mexico. they have taken over and pushed whites out with the multiple families and screaming kids, trash and dont speak english.

California has destroyed it by allowing them in anymore. They dont work in their country but here they dont work and get money for it. Shame on our laws and what they have done to a place i used to love but forced low income whites to leave in order to live the way people here should live.

One day they will wish they controlled SFV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or