U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,568 times

Advertisements

Called today and they allow cats (with extra security deposit $500). But could not find any "crime maps" for Burbank like I did for LA. Found the story about the Sharon Santos murder, with the suspect being the villa's repairman Eddie Rodriguez. This was back in 2004/2005, so I'm sure things have changed, mainly background checks on workers.

Anyway, I sleep with a colt 45 and I plan on installing an alarm system in my new apartment. If the landlords want to do secret inspections, as I am hearing some do in the LA area, then they'll have to enter the security code at the door, and then the system will log it and I will see it when I get home. Not-so-secret then!

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,626,311 times
This area is generally really low crime and the Burbank police are really on the ball. Not only that, their headquarters are within a couple of miles of Scott Road. They respond to calls immediately. The only time I ever called them, it was over a noisy neighbor and they sent out eight (8) patrol cars.

You really don't need to sleep with your gun.

If you insist on sleeping with your gun, do everyone a favor and get the type of bullets you can safely shoot in an apartment (i.e. the ones that won't go through your walls and accidentally kill your innocent neighbor). Since the area is nothing but apartments and condos super close together, you are unlikely to have a direction you can shoot without endangering someone in a neighboring apartment or in a parking garage.

I don't know where you are moving here from but I would suggest that you read up on gun laws in the Burbank/LA County/California. Here is the California Attorney General's website that explains the gun laws for the state: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php Chances are that you will not be able to legally carry your gun around with you while you are tooling around town. LA County issues very few Concealed Weapons permits.

Another thing -- Burbank has very few murders. I lived there for about 20 years and usually the murders have been between people who know each other. In 2007, there were three people killed in one apartment building near the Media Center Mall. I don't remember all of the circumstances exactly but it was between people in two apartments who had some sort of a disagreement. Two people were killed and the third committed suicide.

Anyway, most people in Burbank (that I know) didn't keep guns for personal protection because there is just no safe place to shoot them. They are also likely to be stolen from you if anyone knows that you have a gun. (Burbank doesn't get a lot of violent crime but there are burglaries and that kind of thing.) In the event of something terrible happening, your best defense is screaming because you can be heard by literally tons of people. In one of the apartments I lived in, I used to joke that I would tap on my wall and whisper "I need you" if anything ever came up. The walls were paper thin -- to the point that I could hear my neighbor clearing his throat. His computer was across his bedroom and I could hear it everytime it said "You've got mail!" Seriously -- in the Santos situation, all I can figure is that she knew him and she let him in and he did whatever to her.

Also, years ago, the residents of Burbank voted to tax themselves more to have more police. There is a certain amount of money that is paid for each housing unit in Burbank and that money goes strictly for police salaries. It doesn't go towards administration or anything else -- it's strictly to be used for salaries for more police. Because of that, Burbank is not like Los Angeles. Burbank has lots of cops. They get paid really well and lots of cops would love to work in Burbank compared to a lot of cities in Southern California. There are also a lot of cops who live in Burbank.

You'll like living there -- but you should put the gun away before you hurt someone!! Burbank is safer than most of the cities in the USA!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:55 PM

636 posts, read 2,446,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephbsee View Post
Called today and they allow cats (with extra security deposit $500). But could not find any "crime maps" for Burbank like I did for LA. Found the story about the Sharon Santos murder, with the suspect being the villa's repairman Eddie Rodriguez. This was back in 2004/2005, so I'm sure things have changed, mainly background checks on workers.

Anyway, I sleep with a colt 45 and I plan on installing an alarm system in my new apartment. If the landlords want to do secret inspections, as I am hearing some do in the LA area, then they'll have to enter the security code at the door, and then the system will log it and I will see it when I get home. Not-so-secret then!

Stephanie
Good luck with your new apartment.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:31 PM

7,074 posts, read 7,047,207 times
Landlords are required by law to give a 24 hour written notice enter a apartment and must give good cause. Such as to complete repairs. There are a few exceptions, such as emergencies like broken pipe in the apartment and is causing a flood. In this case they can enter and have the pipe repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephbsee View Post

Stephanie

Old 12-17-2007, 01:44 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,626,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
In 2007, there were three people killed in one apartment building near the Media Center Mall. I don't remember all of the circumstances exactly but it was between people in two apartments who had some sort of a disagreement. Two people were killed and the third committed suicide.
Today I happened upon a blog that had posted newspapers stories regarding the incident above. Evidentally, the whole disagreement was over PARKING SPACES!! Unbelievable! From the story I read, the shooter was upset over a bunch of things (including parking spaces) and sat and waited for the one person to come home from the store -- then he shot him and his son and started trying to shoot the other neighbors that he had argued with (and got one of them). And then the shooter commited suicide. There were three dead total.

Although I have lived in Burbank most of the time since I moved to LA, I am currently living in Glendale. Glendale's murder rate shot up to 19 in 2005 and I was curious about that (since I couldn't imagine the murder rate getting that high -- there just aren't that many murders around here). That particular year, a person trying to commit suicide parked their car on the train tracks. This caused the train to derail and 12 people were killed. These 12 people were included in the Glendale murder rate because the guy who parked the car on the train tracks was charged with murder. So, is Glendale really dangerous? Maybe if you ride the train!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles