U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 PM

682 posts, read 4,341,430 times

Advertisements

Compare nicer houses and nicer areas outside of Compton or likewise areas, and $500,000 may start to not sound so expensive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 07:41 PM

2,574 posts, read 7,883,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
the fact that i read posts on here advising people to not even drive through, let alone walk around compton. i have no idea, i'm from the east coast, never been to california, that's why i'm asking. i just thought it was strange that you could have neighborhoods that are so expensive that people consider so dangerous. you won't find that over here, the hood is cheap. thanks for the answers. it looks like anyone that bought a house in LA 20-30 years ago has it made if they decide to sell and move (out of the state).
don't believe everything you read. you know how south and west philly have plenty of homes owned by hardworking, lower-income folks whose children and grandchildren aren't exactly the salt of the earth, but they themselves are decent people who would welcome you into their homes and offer you the last bit of food in the pot? well, compton is just like that. the people who raised their families there can't help what the neighborhood has become. although many of them took their equity and moved on, some stayed. not everyone wants to live 50-75 miles outside of the city and away from everyone and everything they know.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 PM

705 posts, read 3,085,728 times
It really doesnt matter if it's in the "ghetto" or not.
Perhaps they are trying to get middle and upper class families or people into these cities to start changing the perspective people have about these cities. This might also be an attempt to start getting rid of some of the people there to other places. If you sell cheap homes in the ghetto then all youre gonna get are lower class residents buying them, which will add to the great amount of lower class residents already there, causing it to remain a "ghetto".

Old 12-16-2007, 11:23 PM

100 posts, read 280,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
don't believe everything you read. you know how south and west philly have plenty of homes owned by hardworking, lower-income folks whose children and grandchildren aren't exactly the salt of the earth, but they themselves are decent people who would welcome you into their homes and offer you the last bit of food in the pot? well, compton is just like that. the people who raised their families there can't help what the neighborhood has become. although many of them took their equity and moved on, some stayed. not everyone wants to live 50-75 miles outside of the city and away from everyone and everything they know.
'don't believe everything you read' i think you're right, i've noticed that a lot of opinions on here, especially when it comes to crime, are blown way out of proportion. i guess compton is just another working class area, not some war zone like some people make it out to be. you might as well throw north philly on that list. but if these hard working people were lucky enough to be sitting on $500k equity, they would cash out and go live the high life down in atlanta, no question about that.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:02 AM

175 posts, read 680,736 times
Quote:
'don't believe everything you read' i think you're right, i've noticed that a lot of opinions on here, especially when it comes to crime, are blown way out of proportion. i guess compton is just another working class area, not some war zone like some people make it out to be. you might as well throw north philly on that list. but if these hard working people were lucky enough to be sitting on $500k equity, they would cash out and go live the high life down in atlanta, no question about that.
I don't think that the opinions about crime on here are blown out of proportion. Compton is not just another safe little working class neighborhood. Start reading the LA Times Homicide Report ( in the blog section), to get a feel for some of the "good ol boys" that reside in that neighborhood and other areas of LA.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 AM

23 posts, read 132,568 times
california is like NY man its eapensive living. the houses in the inner city cost alot because that's where everythings at .. I never seen ahouse in Compton a million dollars LOL but 300 thousand I've seen ranned down houses that still cost like 1 hundredthousand in 60thousand but people the stay in Compton either renting or there granparens owned there house in it went down in the family .. No one buys a house in Compton for that much unless your a big time dope dealer or something LOL

Old 08-20-2010, 12:16 AM

57,951 posts, read 76,948,058 times
gangsters need a place to live and gota do something with all that dirty money.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,775,526 times
No one buys $500,000 homes in Compton. I'd be surprised if there were more than 3-4 non-investor sales in the past 6 months.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 PM

14,534 posts, read 16,183,202 times
Quote:
i've never been to california, but from reading some of these threads on here you would think some parts of LA are third-world war zones. i suppose there's a lot of gang activity, but i'm wondering how exaggerated it is? for example, compton, i go check out home prices and i'm seeing $500k...
You are making the same mistake that many out-of-state people make who haven't been to L.A. This city isn't divided up into separate areas with dividing lines, borders, walls or any other distinction between what might be called cities, neighborhoods, postal areas (zip codes), divisions... The whole city just blends into other neighborhoods for the most part, often seamlessly. For example, drive from Sherman Oaks to Valley Village or Lake Balboa and if you don't see the little courtesy sign you'd never know the difference between one of them and their neighbor. Even residents are often ignorant of where the borders are.

So what's next to Compton? I'm sure there's very seedy parts of Compton but if there's a more affluent area bordering Compton then maybe they have $500K houses in "upper" Compton. (I find that a little hard to believe but I haven't visited Compton in decades.)

You can't tell what most parts of L.A. are by knowing what "city" they are. (Most of them aren't even cities, they're part of City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County or some of them like San Fernando and Burbank are incorporated cities, i.e. "real" cities not part of L.A.)

You should visit the parts of Los Angeles you're interested in and see for yourself, and also you should get a real estate agent who will not only show you properties but will know what the real values are and will steer you away from bad deals.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:37 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,775,526 times
There isn't any "good areas" of Compton. All of it is pretty bad and crime infested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles