Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 PM

136 posts, read 195,706 times

Advertisements

I was born in Baldwin Hills (on Olympiad Drive) in 1958. Moved to Windsor Hills (Citrus Ave.) shortly thereafter and attended Windsor Hills Elementary School to fifth grade. The school was excellent and always outranked most LA public schools in standardized tests. The school was maybe three-fourths African-American. I am white. It was a good education for me academically and socially going to school with so many African-Americans.

To my question. I haven't lived there (or in LA) since 1969 (been in SF for 32 years). Lately I've been thinking about the old neighborhood and I'm wondering what it's like these days. It was a great family neighborhood when I was there. What's it like now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:29 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,186,871 times
It's still a great place to live. Hopefully there will be more amenities going on for residents in the area.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM

23 posts, read 29,137 times
Some of the houses in Windsor Hills are really pretty. I wouldn't mind them either hehe.

I've been looking at houses for rent all over the place (mostly redondo beach), to me the red flag is when I see houses with metal bars on the windows. The houses I've seen in windsor hills don't have them.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 PM

12,305 posts, read 8,008,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro25 View Post
I was born in Baldwin Hills (on Olympiad Drive) in 1958. Moved to Windsor Hills (Citrus Ave.) shortly thereafter and attended Windsor Hills Elementary School to fifth grade. The school was excellent and always outranked most LA public schools in standardized tests. The school was maybe three-fourths African-American. I am white. It was a good education for me academically and socially going to school with so many African-Americans.

To my question. I haven't lived there (or in LA) since 1969 (been in SF for 32 years). Lately I've been thinking about the old neighborhood and I'm wondering what it's like these days. It was a great family neighborhood when I was there. What's it like now?
It may be more like when you grew up the white flight of the 1960s and 70s is starting to reverse. The old dam site and the vacant lot across from the oil fields have been turned into parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post
Some of the houses in Windsor Hills are really pretty. I wouldn't mind them either hehe.

I've been looking at houses for rent all over the place (mostly redondo beach), to me the red flag is when I see houses with metal bars on the windows. The houses I've seen in windsor hills don't have them.
About the time that Pietro25 moved out we moved in across Stocker on the city side of the city limit lines. And even though we were policed by Daryl Gates' LAPD with the Hammer tactics it was always stressed that you don't mess with the Sheriff. But even in the worst days of the crack wars, the Boyz n The Hood problems from the Jungle nor Hyde Park climbed the hills

Old 10-23-2014, 12:44 AM

11 posts, read 14,555 times
I moved to Baldwin Hills with my husband in 2011. While I love the neighborhood and the people, my one issue is that the surrounding areas is sorely lacking in amenities. I miss being able to go a short distance to buy basic necessities.

The area around Crenshaw, which is the closest to us, is almost totally devoid of any healthy food options. It's a vast wasteland of fast food joints and depressing stores (pawn shops, 99 cent stores) and billboards (domestic abuse hotlines, etc). Plus its dirty. There's a Ralph's off of La Brea and Rodeo which is close, but you know its ghetto when most of the liquor is locked up. Also, its on the edge of the Jungle, which while improved, still has many apartments which are eye sores.

I will say, there is a strong push on the part of the communities of Baldwin Hills, Windsor Hills and View Park to improve the area. They're trying to lure stores like Trader Joe's, with no success so far. Hopefully, Kaiser will be building across from the Crenshaw Mall, since that's an ugly bulldozed field with overgrown weeds right now. The light rail might help as well. But for now, I avoid the Crenshaw side and drive to Culver City for all my shopping.

P.S. If I had to choose again, I would move to Baldwin Vista. It's closer to Culver City for shopping. Pricier nabe, but worth it, IMO.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 AM

822 posts, read 1,277,749 times
District Square

I doubt they will be able to lure Trader Joe's to the new shopping complex given residents can expect stores like Ross and Target and I'm sure a traditional chain will anchor and stipulate they can be the only grocery store in the lease. I'm guessing the perception is African-Americans don't have a taste for Trader Joe's products which is absurd IMO.

I think for people in the area that want Trader Joe's, you can go to Culver City as you do now or drive to the one at USC.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...918-story.html

Remember this place?
http://www.holidaybowlcrenshaw.com/

Last edited by BeatAngMoh; 10-23-2014 at 01:30 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 AM

12,305 posts, read 8,008,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
More than the bowling ally in the foreground is Majestic Pontiac in the background. I remember when auto dealerships were up and down Crenshaw Blvd. The other nearby lanes, like the one on Rodeo Rd being converted into a Bahai Center and the double deck lanes in Inglewood had long since closed. I think Mar Vista is still open? A couple of blocks north and you have the local mega church West Angeles Church of God in Christ taking over the street

Old 10-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Yes and there was an Oldsmobile as well as a Lincoln-Mercury dealer across the street. Taks's Hardware on Jefferson is still around. I think Paul's Kitchen is as well. Grace Pastries long gone. ARCO coverted to self-serve long ago. The church next to Burger King was the Kokusai. Akron store long gone. There was also a small mom and pops Mr. Moto's restaurant across the street from Boy's market. California Donuts adjacent to it along with Rocket Cleaners and the Wherehouse Records.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 14,555 times
Thanks for the District Square info. That lot had the worst Ralph's supermarket I have ever been to and was bulldozed about a year and half ago. It epitomized the general malaise of that stretch of Crenshaw. Great old photo, BTW. Didn't know about the car dealerships.

What I was told by someone who attended a neighborhood council meeting (I know, second hand information) was that TJs won't open here because the Culver City store is too close, which, of course is bunk. What a TJs employee told me directly was that they look at theft rates (shoplifting) for an area and decide if its worth the risk. Right now, this area isn't worth the risk.

There are some wonderful, well kept homes here, stretching into Inglewood and Ladera Heights. IMO it's the Jungle that holds everything back. If they go condo, as the Village Green did, THAT will change everything, but would probably take a while, if it happens at all.

Last edited by Alyvee; 10-23-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyvee View Post
Thanks for the District Square info. That lot had the worst Ralph's supermarket I have ever been to and was bulldozed about a year and half ago. It epitomized the general malaise of that stretch of Crenshaw. Great old photo, BTW. Didn't know about the car dealerships.

What I was told by someone who attended a neighborhood council meeting (I know, second hand information) was that TJs won't open here because the Culver City store is too close, which, of course is bunk. What a TJs employee told me directly was that they look at theft rates (shoplifting) for an area and decide if its worth the risk. Right now, this area isn't worth the risk.

There are some wonderful, well kept homes here, stretching into Inglewood and Ladera Heights. IMO it's the Jungle that holds everything back. If they go condo, as the Village Green did, THAT will change everything, but would probably take a while, if it happens at all.
You need to visit Tak's Coffee Shop if you haven't been there. It's right behind the post office. Same food as the Holiday Bowl Coffee Shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVIjRjwmXh0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles